Frunk solution ZS

Jonnobris

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi,

I have seen this for the ZS. I have been in touch and they are finalising the design and should be available to order in a couple of weeks.

Ev assecories ireland

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220122-181824_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-181824_Instagram.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,952
I think it would fit any as I think they are all the same under the bonnet. I would confirm before ordering though.

Hi,

I have seen this for the ZS. I have been in touch and they are finalising the design and should be available to order in a couple of weeks.

Ev assecories ireland
Thanks for posting !.
That is a really nice and tidy solution.
Handy to keep your type 2 cable in ?.
I would be mindful of not placing anything in there that does not protrude to high, or you could end up with dent in your bonnet when closing !.
Not going to be cheap I suspect ????.

Thanks for posting !.
That is a really nice and tidy solution.
Handy to keep your type 2 cable in ?.
I would be mindful of not placing anything in there that does not protrude to high, or you could end up with dent in your bonnet when closing !.
Not going to be cheap I suspect ????.
While I think OME Frunks are a great idea I'm incredibly concerned about any makeshift or 3rd party frunk which might catapult a projectile through the windshield into the passenger compartment in a collision. Filling the space beneath the bonnet could significantly affect the effectiveness of the "front crumple zone" and increase the chance of serious injury in a front impact. I know none of us likes to think it would happen to us, but! Remember OME Frunks are crash tested as part of the vehicle certification which aftermarket frunks are not subjected to. I'd love to put more noise dampening stuck directly to the bonnet under the absorption insulation to deaden the drumming of the bonnet, but this could seriously affect the way that the bonnet would crumple.

I think you might be overthinking it a little, but I do recall the advice for an MGF was not to use the front for storage, apart from the spare wheel.

Either way I'm not sure it's going make much of a difference in the sort of impact where you're that far into the crumple zones, both in the F and the new ZS. Bear in mind there's a rather hefty motor and invertor just under that bit of plastic.

I'd be more concerned about heat to be honest. But then I've no idea how warm it gets in there.

While I think OME Frunks are a great idea I'm incredibly concerned about any makeshift or 3rd party frunk which might catapult a projectile through the windshield into the passenger compartment in a collision. Filling the space beneath the bonnet could significantly affect the effectiveness of the "front crumple zone" and increase the chance of serious injury in a front impact. I know none of us likes to think it would happen to us, but! Remember OME Frunks are crash tested as part of the vehicle certification which aftermarket frunks are not subjected to. I'd love to put more noise dampening stuck directly to the bonnet under the absorption insulation to deaden the drumming of the bonnet, but this could seriously affect the way that the bonnet would crumple.
I do take your valid point, but if the tray was used JUST to store your charging cables, I don't think would present a huge risk to the occupants in the event of a accident really ?.
Storing the cables in the front, gives the owner quick access at a public charger, without opening up the tail gate in the winter time, and releasing all of that precious heat stored in the cabin.
I think you just have to be sensible on what you intend to store in the tray ?.

Unless your being stupid and storing bags of dense stuff in there I don't think its going to make a realistic difference to crash's Most people just want a place to put the type 2 cables that are usually wet and dirty in these conditions and don't want to muck up the boot. I would be curious if you need to disclose this to your insurance though as it technically a "Modification" and we know that insurance will try anything not to pay out.

I would be curious if you need to disclose this to your insurance though as it technically a "Modification" and we know that insurance will try anything not to pay out.
I agree !.
You do have to be very careful on what after market "additions / accessories" you install to your car, that could conflict with the T&C's of your insurance cover.
Example:- You install a third party, hard sided boot liner in your boot ( similar to the frunk tray ) simply to protect your interior from your two large ( wet ) dog's, after a long walk.
Should this be classed / treated as a "Modification" - Maybe ?.
On similar note - What if you installed a large steel dog cage in the back of your car, in order to restrain the same two large dog's - Is that classed as an insurance modification ??????.
Roof box - Do people contact their insurer, to declare that they intend to install a roof top box, simply for a two week summer holiday down the coast ?.
Mud flaps - Are they seen as modification ?.
I mean - Just how far do you need to go !.
It's all about balancing the percentage of risk factors, in the favour of the insurance companies.
Clearly, you can do what the hell you like and never give a thought is you are compromising your insurance, until the day you are unfortunately involved in a bad accident.
Then your car is put under the microscope !.
Therefore offering the insurance company the reason to reject / deny the claim.

Storing the cables in the front, gives the owner quick access at a public charger, without opening up the tail gate in the winter time, and releasing all of that precious heat stored in the cabin.
Apart from having to fumble about in the car getting the bonnet open, and then trying to find the release catch ;-)

Not as bad as having to unload the suitcases or the shopping to get the boot floor up! ☺️
I totally agree with that.
I don’t do a lot of public charging on a type 2 post, but I hate having the cable hanging around untidy on the boot carpet.
So, I like to coil the cable around the spare wheel under the boot cover.
Looks nice a tidy, but a bit of a “Faff” to get in out when I need it.
I think the frunk is a much better option to be honest !.
Cable storage placement is then brilliant !.

I totally agree with that.
I don’t do a lot of public charging on a type 2 post, but I hate having the cable hanging around untidy on the boot carpet.
So, I like to coil the cable around the spare wheel under the boot cover.
Looks nice a tidy, but a bit of a “Faff” to get in out when I need it.
I think the frunk is a much better option to be honest !.
Cable storage placement is then brilliant !.
+1 I would also just use the frunk for cables and additionally for emergency equipment in case of breakdown, emptying the boot on a motorway or A road to get to things is a nitemare.

+1 I would also just use the frunk for cables and additionally for emergency equipment in case of breakdown, emptying the boot on a motorway or A road to get to things is a nitemare.
Great shout !.
Cables / torch / warning ⚠️ angle / high vis jacket !.
That’s your lot !.

I agree !.
You do have to be very careful on what after market "additions / accessories" you install to your car, that could conflict with the T&C's of your insurance cover.
Example:- You install a third party, hard sided boot liner in your boot ( similar to the frunk tray ) simply to protect your interior from your two large ( wet ) dog's, after a long walk.
Should this be classed / treated as a "Modification" - Maybe ?.
On similar note - What if you installed a large steel dog cage in the back of your car, in order to restrain the same two large dog's - Is that classed as an insurance modification ??????.
Roof box - Do people contact their insurer, to declare that they intend to install a roof top box, simply for a two week summer holiday down the coast ?.
Mud flaps - Are they seen as modification ?.
I mean - Just how far do you need to go !.
It's all about balancing the percentage of risk factors, in the favour of the insurance companies.
Clearly, you can do what the hell you like and never give a thought is you are compromising your insurance, until the day you are unfortunately involved in a bad accident.
Then your car is put under the microscope !.
Therefore offering the insurance company the reason to reject / deny the claim.
Yes, be careful with insurance companies, years ago I had a Rover 45 (rover engine) and it used to over heat quite a lot, the temp gauge did not move till there was steam coming out the grill, so I fitted a proper temp gauge. Jokenly I told the insurnce company whilst on the phone renewing my insurance and he said hold on and when he came back said it would be £15 more, joke.

Yes, be careful with insurance companies, years ago I had a Rover 45 (rover engine) and it used to over heat quite a lot, the temp gauge did not move till there was steam coming out the grill, so I fitted a proper temp gauge. Jokenly I told the insurnce company whilst on the phone renewing my insurance and he said hold on and when he came back said it would be £15 more, joke.
A licence to print money with some insurance companies to be honest.
And their is me I thinking Robin Hood had passed away :ROFLMAO: ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom