• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Gallaghers Chester - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

Purchased MG ZS EV in April 2020. Experience satisfactory.
Software updates August 2020, Comfort 2. Very professional. £70.

I was very dissapointed with this dealer, I had my 1st service mid Feb, and they also applied the latest updates inc the new BMS, I told them that I was having trouble with the windows not always working, and mirrors not auto folding, and that |I had heard it was a known issue. They did not look at the wiring loom issue as the windows where working at that time, They have since fails and also the door push button now, I had to cover my window with a bin liner to stop the rain getting in last week, at the time r#the receptionist said I could not take the car back if the windows failed again, because lockdown rules said it is not a necessary journey. I will not use them again.

I was very dissapointed with this dealer, I had my 1st service mid Feb, and they also applied the latest updates inc the new BMS, I told them that I was having trouble with the windows not always working, and mirrors not auto folding, and that |I had heard it was a known issue. They did not look at the wiring loom issue as the windows where working at that time, They have since fails and also the door push button now, I had to cover my window with a bin liner to stop the rain getting in last week, at the time r#the receptionist said I could not take the car back if the windows failed again, because lockdown rules said it is not a necessary journey. I will not use them again.
Hi. Sorry to hear problem you are having. Bought mine from this dealer and have had software updates and my service due soon. I think they have been short staffed with Covid and Wales lockdown rules. Not satisfactory. I am in Little Sutton, England. I would suggest you phone their other branch in Warrington, which may be main office. See what they say. If it is the door wiring loom problem, I presume MG will know from your vin number and it is repaired under warranty. Good luck. Let me know how you get on.

Garages are open for repairs during the lockdown... as they are regarded as an essential service... And you car is in need of a dealer repair. So unless they can arrange/suggest for the car be repaired at a closer location then I guess they are making up excuses. I would escalate the matter, ask to speak to a manager.

Garages are open for repairs during the lockdown... as they are regarded as an essential service... And you car is in need of a dealer repair. So unless they can arrange/suggest for the car be repaired at a closer location then I guess they are making up excuses. I would escalate the matter, ask to speak to a manager.
I was speaking to the service manager when I left the car for the day.

I had my first service, drivers door harness replaced and HV fuse update done there.
The car ended up being at the dealership from Friday until Wednesday morning because after the work, it completely died !.
The car had the latest BMS update but now the car randomly charges at different rates, on different days !.
The wall box has been ruled out, so it will require another trip to a dealership.
All this after a simple service !.

I contacted Gallaghers Chester for information and delivery dates for ZS, was told they would be in touch.
Waited a week.....nothing.

I contacted Gallaghers Chester for information and delivery dates for ZS, was told they would be in touch.
Waited a week.....nothing.
I gave up waiting for them to return about 90% of my phone calls !.
Had a test drive of a ZS EV from them while waiting for my car to arrive.
15 min to the end of the road and back !.
Warrington would not even offer me a test drive because I had one at Chester !.
My supplying dealer gave me two test drives on two different dates, the first drive was 1 hour and the second was just over 2 hours.
This was enough time to convince me that ordering my first full BEV was the right decision.

I gave up waiting for them to return about 90% of my phone calls !.
Had a test drive of a ZS EV from them while waiting for my car to arrive.
15 min to the end of the road and back !.
Warrington would not even offer me a test drive because I had one at Chester !.
My supplying dealer gave me two test drives on two different dates, the first drive was 1 hour and the second was just over 2 hours.
This was enough time to convince me that ordering my first full BEV was the right decision.
Well they lost my business, I am now the proud owner of ZS EV provided by another very helpful dealer 60 mile away....... no names on this trend....hehe

I have placed my order with Gallaghers Warrington. So far - good experience. They seem busy but do respond to emails and seem to be doing everything well so far. They have price matched with lowest - MG5EV Exclusive Silver at £21,599
In case you don’t realise, you can record your comments on Gallaghers, Warrington.

Brilliant service yesterday at Gallaghers, Chester, when my MG ZS EV had its first year, low mileage service, costing £49. Car was washed afterwards and spare screen wash provided.
BMS update was completed.
Today I was emailed a video taken during the service, showing the underside of the vehicle, battery pack, brakes, suspension, drive shafts and tyre tread depths, as it was inspected, with a running commentary from the technician Stephen.
A big thank you to Stephen and receptionist Aletha for keeping the service department going during Covid. Dealership is closed in Wales and most staff absent because of Covid. I hope it will be reopening with full staff ASAP.

Last edited:
Brilliant service yesterday at Gallaghers, Chester, when my MG ZS EV had its first year, low mileage service, costing £49. Car was washed afterwards and spare screen wash provided.
BMS update was completed.
Today I was emailed a video taken during the service, showing the underside of the vehicle, battery pack, brakes, suspension, drive shafts and tyre tread depths, as it was inspected, with a running commentary from the technician Stephen.
A big thank you to Stephen and receptionist Aletha for keeping the service department going during Covid. Dealership is closed in Wales and most staff absent because of Covid. I hope it will be reopening with full staff ASAP.
I am shocked that you only paid £49 for your first service to be honest @KeithG ?.
My 1st service at the same dealer in Jan 2021 was over twice this amount, can you expand if you have a service plan and how many miles your car has covered please.
I received no health check video of my car either, no report regarding tyre wear / under body condition - bugger all !.
Not even a "Check Off" service check sheet of the work carried out either.
Unexpected / inconsistent customer service here - why ???.
It is more than a little difficult to score this dealership highly, because my car was offered up for it's first service and recall for the wiring harness in the drivers door on a Friday morning at 8.30am.
This work should have taken no longer than than half a day in my opinion.
As a result, I never received it back until the following Wednesday morning at around 10.00am after the car was stuck on a ramp and rendered "Dead" from Friday until Tuesday !.
The fix was found after uploading the data information pack to the MG Tech Team who guided the dealer through the fix on the car.
Clearly, they did manage to break the car and could not resolve the problem themselves !.
No offer of compensation for the delay either.
It puzzles me just how this dealer claims to be classed in "Chester" ( England ) when it is clearly inside of the the Welsh border ?.
The dealer is allowed to be open for urgent repair work under Welsh lock down rules, but not the showroom for selling cars is my understanding.
Please correct me if I am wrong here.
I am glad however, that you experienced a better result than myself.
They say you are never to old to leant, well I have to say lesson firmly learn't here.
I will NEVER book my car into ANY dealership to have work conducted on a Friday in the future !.
Got well and truly burn't on that one folks !.

I am shocked that you only paid £49 for your first service to be honest @KeithG ?.
My 1st service at the same dealer in Jan 2021 was over twice this amount, can you expand if you have a service plan and how many miles your car has covered please.
I received no health check video of my car either, no report regarding tyre wear / under body condition - bugger all !.
It is more than a little difficult to score this dealership highly, because my car was offered up for it's first service and recall for the wiring harness in the drivers door on a Friday morning at 8.30am.
As a result, I never received it back until the following Wednesday morning at around 10.00am after the car was stuck on a ramp and rendered "Dead" from Friday until Tuesday !.
The fix was found after uploading the data information pack to the MG Tech Team who guided the dealer through the fix on the car.
Clearly, they did manage to break the car and could not resolve the problem themselves !.
It puzzles me just how this dealer claims to be classed in "Chester" ( England ) when it is clearly inside of the the Welsh border ?.
The dealer is allowed to be open for urgent repair work under Welsh lock down rules, but not the showroom for selling cars is my understanding.
They say you are never to old to leant, well I have to say lesson firmly learn't here.
I will NEVER book my car into ANY dealership to have work conducted on a Friday in the future !.
Hi. I was sorry to read of your experience. From reading posts, it seems things do seem to go wrong sometimes when they are upgrading software and it obviously takes a while when the dealer has to ask MG for help. My comfort 2 took 4 hours instead of 1. Not sure why you were treated as you were. Different staff? Unlucky Friday. I think Covid is causing some stress. Maybe they read your earlier post and have now changed their procedures. Low mileage/cost servicing has only recently been broached on here and maybe I was lucky to see a member on here post about paying a reduced fee recently at the same dealers and so I mentioned it myself. I have a feeling we know more than them and it can cause some friction. I sometimes think the hardest person to get past can be the receptionist, you know, like the doctors. Have you sorted the car problems yet?

Hi. Forgot to say I haven’t a service plan, because I couldn’t see any benefit and have done 5900 miles. You should have got a check list. Do you think they forgot because you had the other work done? Well I assume making you pay should have reminded them. Good luck.

Hi. Forgot to say I haven’t a service plan, because I couldn’t see any benefit and have done 5900 miles. You should have got a check list. Do you think they forgot because you had the other work done? Well I assume making you pay should have reminded them. Good luck.
Hi Keith - I think the car had caused them a massive headache, in that they just wanted to get rid of it ASAP !.
It completely blocked off a ramp from Friday to late on Tuesday afternoon.
Which was really in my favour, because they needed to free up that ramp for other work.
Same staff as yourself, although I did spent a lot of time with the service manager.
Yeah your right, they can become a little agitated when you ask questions they have difficulty answering straight off the cuff.
They openly admit that having to deal with EV’s is not something they are totally geared up for yet.

Have you sorted the car problems yet?
Thanks for asking !.
It is usable because of “Lock Down” restrictions of course.
I am keeping a written record of every time I charge and how it reacts.
When I can, I have also been plugging into the new post at our local Tesco store.
I am only using this post in order to use as evidence for my records and not for a full charge.
Getting the car to pull only 3.6 kw’s from another charger will pretty much prove it is the car that is at fault.
It is really odd situation when I first got the car back, it was very hit and miss on how it would behave when placing on charge.
It was a 70 - 30 situation, sometimes it would pull the full 7.0 kw’s and then the next time it would only pull 3.6 kw’s ???.
Very very strange !.
But, over the last week it has hit the max 7.2 kw’s every time I have commenced a charge.
No other factors have changed really, so I can’t understand it really ?.
I will continue to keep a record of its charging behaviour should it suddenly start acting up once again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom