Gas paddle late response

What settings do you have on the car when you are driving it and suffering the delay

It just is a little slower than some other EVs. You get used to it.

What's a gas pedal? :)
An example of many phases that have migrated across the pond, and has been adopted by us Brits.
A nice gift from our good friends of America 🇺🇸.
Some of their terminology when used over here can mean something completely different !.
I expect a few example of this will be posted shortly 🤣.
Keep it clean folks.
Look ....... Fries 🍟 not chips !.

Well you can't call it a gas pedal cos it doesn't run on gas (petrol), and you can't call it a throttle cos it doesn't have a carburettor (where the throttle lives). Accelerator seems to do the job except when you're taking your foot off it, in which case it's a decelerator. Let's stick with gas pedal - the Yanks will always win in the end - I saw that happen in lots of Hollywood films.

I have a marine propulsion background (including electric) where the primary control lever would typically be called a PDL (Power Demand Lever). It's descriptive and precise in its terminology.
As this is a pedal rather than lever I'd call it a Power Demand Pedal.

Well PDP doesn't exactly trip off the tongue but on the other hand loud pedal doesn't work either because frankly the car is too darned quiet when you poke it. Maybe the Japs get to win this one with their e-pedal - just don't tell Donald Trump where the idea came from.

I have delay in my MG5 gas paddle, it’s happening only when I begin to drive from zero
Back to the point in question..:)

There is a "tricky" delay when setting off from zero. Tricky if you are at a roundabout and see a small gap in the traffic. You need to allow for that 1/2 second response time....It is learned, but be careful............

Back to the point in question..:)

There is a "tricky" delay when setting off from zero. Tricky if you are at a roundabout and see a small gap in the traffic. You need to allow for that 1/2 second response time....It is learned, but be careful............
It's definitely not half a second, maybe 200ms. It's just more of a curve than a straight line. You can quickly adjust to it by learning to anticipate the gap. It's just not quite as direct as some other EVs. The e208 is similar whereas the Leaf 40 is more direct.

I tend to refer to it as the accelerator pedal, with the understanding that deceleration is just negative acceleration. But power pedal is probably a good suggestion.

It's definitely not half a second, maybe 200ms. It's just more of a curve than a straight line. You can quickly adjust to it by learning to anticipate the gap. It's just not quite as direct as some other EVs. The e208 is similar whereas the Leaf 40 is more direct.
Must admit I have never timed it, but it does make calculating the traffic gap a bit more tricky than an ICE...

My Citroen Zero was much the same..:)

Last edited:
Well you can't call it a gas pedal cos it doesn't run on gas (petrol), and you can't call it a throttle cos it doesn't have a carburettor (where the throttle lives). Accelerator seems to do the job except when you're taking your foot off it, in which case it's a decelerator. Let's stick with gas pedal - the Yanks will always win in the end - I saw that happen in lots of Hollywood films.
Gas is easiest to spell ;)

Must admit I have never timed it, but it does make calculating the traffic gap a bit more tricky than an ICE...

My Citroen Zero was much the same..:)
That's a strange statement. An ICE has to get the revs up and maybe spin up the turbo while releasing the clutch where an EV has direct and immediate torque. They've probably dialled it back to stop people killing themselves and shredding the front tyres. There's no way it's slower to pull away than any regular ICE vehicle even with the tiny delay. I don't even notice the lag any more, I just depress the 'power pedal' (has a nice ring to it now I've used it) a fraction of a second before I want to go without even thinking about it.

As Jake said to Elwood in The Blues Brothers;

"Car's got a lot of pickup"

I've never felt any issues with lag or indeed lack of grunt when pulling away!

I’ve not noticed this at all either, especially as a recent convert from a petrol. Both the speed of acceleration from 0 and not having to change gear mean I’ve found nipping around in traffic easier…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom