• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Going away for a week's holiday - do I power off the MG4 completely?

Kentboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
What it says in the headline. I won't be using the MG4 for eight days or so. The dealer said in these circumstances you should do a complete power down. But I've learned to question everything I've heard. Normally I just hit park and leave it. Is a complete power down a good idea? I do know how to do it but I'm not sure what the difference is between that and the usual hit park and get out of the thing routine.

It would be interesting to know, from the dealer, how you initiate a "complete power down"
But the in car powering off to me is just to allow charging and occupants to stay in car etc.. Or some other configuration of keeping the car unlocked yet turned off

I can't see the difference between that and just hitting lock when you leave it either. Was just puzzled the dealer mentioned it. I do make a point of checking what I've been told. Seems to me I just lock as usual even if it's not going to be used for a week or so. Guess I could leave it with the cable in too unless that's a bad idea.

Don't leave it with a full battery and just lock it up as usual. The only risk is if the 12v battery drains below the level needed to bring the car back to life. Some of us have bought a jump starter power bank and leave it in the glove-box just in case.

Don't leave it with a full battery and just lock it up as usual. The only risk is if the 12v battery drains below the level needed to bring the car back to life. Some of us have bought a jump starter power bank and leave it in the glove-box just in case.
'Don't leave it with a full battery?' Sorry don't understand. Why? What level of battery is good? I'd normally leave it at the usual 80%. Yes - saw those power bank things. Sound a good idea.

Leave mine behind the front seat - But yeah - I too have a Battery pack jumper - Whilst I wait on MG re my draining 12v! - So for me - any long periods of car parked -i.e more than ONE day - I leave it plugged into the Granny cable - No flat 12v since I've been doing that - But yes I'm at 100% charge ... Cant win lol - But to be useable I have 100% - And no flat 12v

Obviously an issue there. The 12v should take charge and remain topped up from the main battery I believe.
That's what I thought. The power bank jump starters do look useful though for other things too. Saw this on Amazon and I assume it could start the MG4 if the 12v was dead for some reason.
Amazon product ASIN B0BP6LH8Q9

I have been looking at one of those which one did you go for

My dealer also told me to power the car off from the infotainment screen but I can't see the point unless you want to sit in it while it's parked - maybe charging, or listening to music, or sitting in a ferry queue I suppose.

As far as I can tell, putting the car in P, getting out and pressing the door button shuts it down as completely as it will shut down.

The manuals for the SR battery say leave it as full as possible when laid up for a while. I'm going on holiday in the autumn for over two weeks and I'll have to leave it at my friend's house when I go. The best I'll be able to do on that front is find a rapid charger near her house, charge the car to full, and then move it to her house.

This issue with the 12V battery draining and only getting topped-up when the car is 'ON' concerns me. Is it safe to leave the car in an airport car park for 2 weeks while on holiday? I worry about fitting a dashcam with parking mode, too. All sorts of pesky reprobates lurking around housing estates in the early hours, so parking mode for overnight use is valuable.

I have the same concern with leaving for two weeks while away to make the agony worse we use
meet & greet so it will be tricky to explain power down to whoever we hand the car over too ! .

I was going to leave mine at Heathrow and chickened out at the thought of handing over the keys. Are car park people savvy with evs?

I have the same concern with leaving for two weeks while away to make the agony worse we use
meet & greet so it will be tricky to explain power down to whoever we hand the car over too ! .
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they try to start it. The look on their face as they search for the start button 🤣

I think I'd look for an alternative option to meet and greet

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel