• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Good emergency stop (not "computer says" for a change)

QLeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
In our area, sheep roam free, but are pretty street-wise. We have been aware that our MG is pretty quiet, perhaps silent at low speeds, so have been careful when sheep are in the road.
Today, I was coming home, and fortunately was going quite slowly. I saw two holidaymakers with two large black dogs on the grass nearby - not sure what they were doing. Unfortunately the dogs spooked the sheep, which panicked, one running blindly straight at the car. AEB was off, but manual emergency braking was on. I hit the brake, and the car stopped dead, a small squeak of tyres. I have no idea whether MG brakes are especially fierce, but wow, I was grateful for them today. No sheep harmed in the incident, but my nerves are still rather shredded. I don't believe the issue was worsened by the car's quietness, as panicked sheep, well, panic. Very happy with our car though, if it looks after us like that. It would have been interesting had I had AEB on, though. It may not have reacted, as the sheep came in fast from the side.

Interesting, and a happy outcome - except for your nerves. I've noticed that the MG4 doesn't spook sheep or lambs and I think this is generally a good thing because an animal of the ovine persuasion is a lot safer when it stays where it is rather than careering around the landscape in a panic like a bagatelle ball.

One up for the humans. QLeo ,s experience with driving near sheep and the fact that strange dogs were around probably fired up some synapses to expect the unexpected , result, a successful emergency stop. I have no idea what algorithms can be programmed into the AEB to "predict" that scenario. Its still in its infancy , but as of yet its no substitute for good awareness.

One up for the humans. QLeo ,s experience with driving near sheep and the fact that strange dogs were around probably fired up some synapses to expect the unexpected , result, a successful emergency stop. I have no idea what algorithms can be programmed into the AEB to "predict" that scenario. Its still in its infancy , but as of yet its no substitute for good awareness.
Exactly. I know we are trying to embrace all the technilogy that comes with cars these days, but it's comforting to know that some driving skills are still necessary.

On our morning walk this morning, we found the skid marks from the emergency sheep-saving stop yesterday. It seems this is pretty much the stopping distance from 20-25mph.

Attachments

• IMG_20230529_083038_DRO.jpg
    IMG_20230529_083038_DRO.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
Those skid marks are only a foot or two, which isn’t the stopping distance from that speed.
I’m not even sure the human body could withstand stopping from 25mph in two feet 😂
That’s the distance the wheels locked before the ABS kicked in and released the locked wheels before trying again.
I’m actually surprised they locked that long, ABS usually reacts to a locked wheel quicker.

Nevertheless, one sees many skid-marks that are much longer than this. It does speak to a competent stop.

The ABS controls how long the wheels lock for, there’s no competency (or incompetency) involved.
Longer skid marks on roads are from non-ABS vehicles locking up (lorry trailers are a favourite)
Or might be the opposite of a locked wheel skid, IE some numpty doing burn outs.

In our area, sheep roam free, but are pretty street-wise. We have been aware that our MG is pretty quiet, perhaps silent at low speeds, so have been careful when sheep are in the road.
Today, I was coming home, and fortunately was going quite slowly. I saw two holidaymakers with two large black dogs on the grass nearby - not sure what they were doing. Unfortunately the dogs spooked the sheep, which panicked, one running blindly straight at the car. AEB was off, but manual emergency braking was on. I hit the brake, and the car stopped dead, a small squeak of tyres. I have no idea whether MG brakes are especially fierce, but wow, I was grateful for them today. No sheep harmed in the incident, but my nerves are still rather shredded. I don't believe the issue was worsened by the car's quietness, as panicked sheep, well, panic. Very happy with our car though, if it looks after us like that. It would have been interesting had I had AEB on, though. It may not have reacted, as the sheep came in fast from the side.
Well.... we had our first AEB encounter today. (I suspect it won't be the last)
I'll keep it short 😀
On a long straight 40 mph speed limit, man in front decided to park half off road. (On a B road) near Louth actually.
Wife was driving and slowly pulled up behind as we still couldn't pass with traffic coming towards us. Clear road so anticipated set off was OK to proceed with.... BANG! what the??? Just happened there? Plenty of room to pass... really steady manoeuvre but NO!
If I didn't have my seat belt on I would have hit the windscreen easily. If she'd got to 5mph I'd be surprised. Honestly, it makes me a little nervous. On the upside, brakes work extremely well! 😀

Interesting, and a happy outcome - except for your nerves. I've noticed that the MG4 doesn't spook sheep or lambs and I think this is generally a good thing because an animal of the ovine persuasion is a lot safer when it stays where it is rather than careering around the landscape in a panic like a bagatelle ball.
Yeah.... what he says 😁

Well.... we had our first AEB encounter today. (I suspect it won't be the last)
I'll keep it short 😀
On a long straight 40 mph speed limit, man in front decided to park half off road. (On a B road) near Louth actually.
Wife was driving and slowly pulled up behind as we still couldn't pass with traffic coming towards us. Clear road so anticipated set off was OK to proceed with.... BANG! what the??? Just happened there? Plenty of room to pass... really steady manoeuvre but NO!
If I didn't have my seat belt on I would have hit the windscreen easily. If she'd got to 5mph I'd be surprised. Honestly, it makes me a little nervous. On the upside, brakes work extremely well! 😀
Are you sure there was not a loose sheep just lurking around out of your view. I have a small herd of Hebridean crosses and they have wicked senses of humour, any car with AEB will be seen as fair game!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back