• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Got the new wheels on!

Paulie68

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So, I finally got the new wheel set on the car. Need to get some better, scenic, pictures done soon.

IMG_20200609_181949.jpg
IMG_20200609_182023.jpg

They're an Audi fitment. 18"x 8J. the offset is 40. Running 245/40/R18 tyres. These are less than 1% bigger in diameter than the originals, so the speedo is still very accurate.

They fit great, no clearance issues, and sit 14mm further out than the originals, giving just a tiny hint of stance. I think I'm quite pleased with them. :)

When using an Audi wheel, you need 66.6mm to 57.1mm spigot rings to reduce the centre bore.

Other VW/Skoda/Seat wheels are already 57.1mm and go straight on! In all cases with VAG wheels though, you need to change the bolts to the radius seat type as MG use a 60 degree flat taper bolt.

So, I finally got the new wheel set on the car. Need to get some better, scenic, pictures done soon.

View attachment 235View attachment 236

They're an Audi fitment. 18"x 8J. the offset is 40. Running 245/40/R18 tyres. These are less than 1% bigger in diameter than the originals, so the speedo is still very accurate.

They fit great, no clearance issues, and sit 14mm further out than the originals, giving just a tiny hint of stance. I think I'm quite pleased with them. :)

When using an Audi wheel, you need 66.6mm to 57.1mm spigot rings to reduce the centre bore.

Other VW/Skoda/Seat wheels are already 57.1mm and go straight on! In all cases with VAG wheels though, you need to change the bolts to the radius seat type as MG use a 60 degree flat taper bolt.
They look smart..would like to see a side on picture, do the wheels look a better size and more fitting of the car?

I took this side picture, the lighting is really bad, but it gives an idea of how it looks from the side.

IMG_20200609_182046_1 (1).jpg

Obviously I think they suit the car much better, but I prefer bright silver and don't like black and/or diamond cut face wheels much. They definitely look much better size wise. I expect my range to drop slightly due to the increased drag and worse aerodynamics of the wider tyres. I'll report back on how much difference it makes.

I took this side picture, the lighting is really bad, but it gives an idea of how it looks from the side.

View attachment 237

Obviously I think they suit the car much better, but I prefer bright silver and don't like black and/or diamond cut face wheels much. They definitely look much better size wise. I expect my range to drop slightly due to the increased drag and worse aerodynamics of the wider tyres. I'll report back on how much difference it makes.
Will be interested so see what difference they make to the overall vehicle efficiently

Well they definitely look better than the original wheels which look a bit “ after market “. Being Audi wheels you’ve probably doubled the value of the car .

View attachment 237

Looks really good ?
Just to let you know my car is in for software update and the steering column knock so hopefully will have some news by the end of the day.

Your car looks very smart, mine is also in for the update as we speak.....fingers crossed....more later.

While I was in the dealer, I noticed they had a new EV, identical to mine with a sticker price of £28K! I paid £23.5....!

You can still get a deposit contribution of £2500, so the real price is now £25,500. Then paint on top for anything other than White.

I'm crossing my fingers for you re. the update. Make sure they do all 4 of them, there are reports some dealers have only been doing the USB stick updates, there should be 2 of these, then 2 via OBD port which take much longer.

You can still get a deposit contribution of £2500, so the real price is now £25,500. Then paint on top for anything other than White.

I'm crossing my fingers for you re. the update. Make sure they do all 4 of them, there are reports some dealers have only been doing the USB stick updates, there should be 2 of these, then 2 via OBD port which take much longer.
Yes they told me there are 4 updates. They did one yesterday and took nearly 3 hours.
They have to sit with the car pretty much all the time as well.

I've just double checked......couldn't seem to get a firm answer ,.....she did say that these updates "Were recalls and all recalls would be done"....I said please make sure all 4 were done.... I wasn't filled with confidence....we'll see. :confused:...

...an update 12.15 .....Just agreed to pay £90 for the big update.....:rolleyes:......frankly I cant be bothered to argue!

Last edited:
I've just double checked......couldn't seem to get a firm answer ,.....she did say that these updates "Were recalls and all recalls would be done"....I said please make sure all 4 were done.... I wasn't filled with confidence....we'll see. :confused:

That is a strange answer, as MG have specifically stated the comfort pack 2 upgrade isn't a recall, but an optional upgrade for existing cars when requested.

See above...just updated that post!.....now they are keeping it overnight...said one update can take 3 hours!

Last edited:
Just been on a run of mixed town and A roads, about 16 miles, with the new wheels and got 4.1 m/kWh. This is about what I usually get on that run so I'm not noticing any significant difference from the wider tyres. Not very scientific, I'll see how the longer term compares over the coming month.

A further update of the effects on range with the wider tyres. I've driven just over 200 miles now with the new wheel/tyre combination and have seen no noticeable difference in miles per kWh compared to the original, narrower tyres. In fact I got a full range of 164 miles (full to 5% left, then calculated pro-rata) using the new set up, and that even included a 13 mile berserker run to work when I was late up and another 20 miles or so in very wet conditions!

The last 35 miles since charging in the current fine weather doing my usual routine is in fact now showing 4.8 m/kWh!

I suspect the ZS isn't very aerodynamic at all to start with, so making it slightly worse by fitting 30mm wider tyres and less aerodynamic wheels doesn't have anywhere near as noticable an effect as it would on something designed to achieve a very low CD factor to begin with!

Last edited:
I'm sure your'e right, the economical effect on tyres or wheels is only minimal on any SUV. Have what you like on your own car. :)

I must admit that I'm getting quite skilled and recognising our "windmill" wheels, as apposed to the ones fitted on ICE MG's.

My car has several EV badges and stickers, so is easier to identify as EV.....thats my taste....not everyone likes them, but I wan't lose any sleep over that.

The rim change looks fantastic & I’m looking to making it to mine. As a complete novice in such a change, could you please let me know how the tyre pressure monitor system is moved on to these rims? Thanks

The rim change looks fantastic & I’m looking to making it to mine. As a complete novice in such a change, could you please let me know how the tyre pressure monitor system is moved on to these rims? Thanks

In my case I left the original sensors in the original wheels, as I want to be able to change back if desired, or if I sell the car.

So the most cost effective option was to buy a universal set of sensors for the new wheels and clone them to match the originals, so the car sees no difference.

These are what I bought:

And..

You then just get your tyre fitter to pop them in for you. :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom