Gov Grant

DON

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just seen on Facebook Plug in car grant reduced from £2500 to £1500 as of 7am today for vehicles with a list price of less than £32k instead of £35k, glad I ordered mine last week £2500 difference for Trophy.

Just seen on Facebook Plug in car grant reduced from £2500 to £1500 as of 7am today for vehicles with a list price of less than £32k instead of £35k.
Just read that as well.
The gov website I just looked at had the old details on still though

Its a copy of a email from a well known dealer.
Yeah - seeing a dealer on Twitter mention this too, might be same. Going to be interesting to see what happens to the market place - whether some cars are artificially inflated to meet the threshold whilst others are stripped bare of equipment

The good news... If your order was already in, you should be fine. If not, Trophy's have just got £2,500 more expensive. Unless you know a dealer who had some foresight to see this coming and may still be able to help.
Placed a order through vanarama, finance signed yesterday so will be interesting to see if dealer order was in time and, if not, if they'll honour the original quote...

Gov website not changed (yet) and have only found one other source for this news, also a dealer type website (currently).

Is it confirmed that if you have an order in you'll still get the car at the same price? I ordered a Trophy in November and put the £200 deposit down. If the price does increase then I'm out 😕

Placed a order through vanarama, finance signed yesterday so will be interesting to see if dealer order was in time and, if not, if they'll honour the original quote...
I'd be extremely suprised if they don't. You'll be fine.

The Govt saying they still want to encourage, people to switch to ev's, yet cut the grant and also the threshold goes down by £3000 as well cutting down the choice of eligible cars... jokers
The choice becomes pay through the nose for an EV or get fleeced at the pumps @ £1.50/litre. It's getting expensive out there.

The high used car market, excessive petrol prices and shortage of new cars has I think also been a factor in this decision.

The good news... If your order was already in, you should be fine. If not, Trophy's have just got £2,500 more expensive. Unless you know a dealer who had some foresight to see this coming and may still be able to help.
Sam,

Just to put people at ease. Have you started the grant application on all orders placed before the announcement. So they can get the full £2500 grant and therefore get their car at the order price.

Cheers

The high used car market, excessive petrol prices and shortage of new cars has I think also been a factor in this decision.
With inflation running at 5% and it doesn't look like it's coming down anytime soon you are going to see significant increases in car prices. lets for example take a fairly optimistic view and say inflation stays at 5% for 4 years that would mean a 25k car will cost 30.3k an increase of 5.3k over 4 years. Now lets factor in the loss of 0% financing and go with 4.9% that's another 3.8k. I think my numbers are on the conservative side to be honest and this would mean the cost of a 25k car today will cost an extra 9.1k in 4 years time. With this in mind the loss of 1k off the car grant doesn't seem that important.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom