• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Granny charger charge rates

gus

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have had the MG ZS EV Trophy LR for a couple of months now and had a wall box fitted before it arrived so I haven’t used the granny charger, I thought I had better test it before I go away for a week into dubious charger territory.

The car display is showing 5A charging current, and the app shows just under 2kW, are these figures what you would expect? I have it in my head it should be closer to 10A and 3kW, but I have never used a granny charger before. 😀

8516CF8F-4B9A-432A-A493-114681798380.jpeg
8503352C-06EF-4455-991F-AED7D468F96A.jpg

Sounds about right, not used a granny charger but think they give 1.2kw , (5amp x 230v =1.15kw), 3kw would be 13amp.
3kw on a plug top is a bit much, unlike a heater or kettle which only pulls 3kw for short or sporadic periods, the charger pulls maximum current continuously .

Between 1.75kwh and 2.10kwh I get when charging. 60-67 miles roughly in about 7 hours 30 I've had the last few nights

Thanks everyone, much appreciated 👏. Glad I had the wall box fitted but the granny charger will be useful when I head off to an area that doesn’t appear to have too much charging infrastructure shown on the various apps.

Glad I had the wall box fitted but the granny charger will be useful when I head off to an area that doesn’t appear to have too much charging infrastructure shown on the various apps.
I agree !.
I never carry my "Granny" lead around in the boot of the car, unless I am travelling to a location for a few days ( e.g. - Mid Wales for one ) where I know the charging infrastructure is going to be absolutely "Pant's".
I will also pack a electrical extension lead that is suitably rated for the "Granny" charger.
Not everybody will have a wall box to offer, but almost everybody has a three pin socket, even in deepest Wales !.
All our home charging is done via our wall box on a cheaper "Off Peak Tariff".
The supplied "Granny" has a easy life living a storage bag handing on the wall of our garage.
That reminds me, I must try it to see if it works !.
Now we are lucky enough to have a LR - I can't see it getting much use to be totally honest ?.

I have had the MG ZS EV Trophy LR for a couple of months now and had a wall box fitted before it arrived so I haven’t used the granny charger, I thought I had better test it before I go away for a week into dubious charger territory.

The car display is showing 5A charging current, and the app shows just under 2kW, are these figures what you would expect? I have it in my head it should be closer to 10A and 3kW, but I have never used a granny charger before. 😀

View attachment 9965 View attachment 9966
Looking at the photos you are near to the 80% mark so would be coming down on the out put so the last 5% would go in slower. If you start at 40% it should be at 2.3kw.
Have you done a fast charge test on it yet before you go away? And before you say it yes I am a PHEV driver be looking to full EV so swotting up on every thing.

Last edited:
I had a caravan in Clarach Bay near Aberystwyth and I charged up the car via an extension lead and the granny charger every night. So had a free travel holiday.
Got to be good.
By the way I found lots of chargers in Aberystwyth.

Sorry to change topic on the thread but do all ZS Evs come with a granny charger included and not a type 2 ?

Sorry to change topic on the thread but do all ZS Evs come with a granny charger included and not a type 2 ?
Yes granny charger included with all cars but no type 2 cable, if car is on Motability you get a type 2 cable as well. You can always try and persuade the dealer to throw one in free at time of purchase as part of the deal.

Looking at the photos you are near to the 80% mark so would be coming down on the out put so the last 5% would go in slower. If you start at 40% it should be at 2.3kw.
Have you done a fast charge test on it yet before you go away? And before you say it yes I am a PHEV driver be looking to full EV so swotting up on every thing.
Yes to the fast charge, managed a peak of 93kw at a 350kw fastned charger in Oxford. (y) Might try another make before I shoot off for a week.

View attachment 9965 View attachment 9966
Figures seem about right for that state of charge (SOC). I think I mention it in this video, although my ZS is a Mk 1 model as we don't have the Mk2 in Australia yet. If the video helps please Subscribe to the Channel and thumbs up the video. Enjoy your new EV :)

I was topping up the car last night using the granny charger included with car, and I was able to get 20% during my cheaper 5 hour tariff with Octopus, and what I saw on the app is that it was pulling on average 1.95kwh to charge car, but on my IHD I could see 2.4kwh~ being used on top of my normal usage. I think at the end I saw like 2.06kwh being shown on the app. Either way it finished before my higher rate came on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806-215221_MG iSMART.png
    Screenshot_20220806-215221_MG iSMART.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom