Granny Charger

colinc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Can the Granny Charger be plugged in and left "live" all the time?
I have installed mine in a home-made mini-shed to keep it dry on the side of my house.
Works well, but I am fed up opening the door and lifting the lid on the weather-proof sockets in order to turn it on and off all the time.
Can I leave it switched on when not connected to the car?
I have left it on a few times and it hasn't suffered, so I assume it's OK>
IMG_20211108_085918.jpg

It's unlikely to be a problem but I'd isolate it when not being used regardless.
You have to plug/unplug the car anyway so it's not as if you're talking about an onerous additional burden.

I love the mini shed.
Could you mount something like this on the side

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211108-123020.jpg
    Screenshot_20211108-123020.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 171
Why do they call it the Granny Charger I wonder ? Sounds disparaging to all of our Grannies to my mind ! I use my supplied charger plugged into the garage 13amp socket with a plug-in timer set for 8pm to 8am. I just plug the car in every night and unplug it from the car every morning. The socket is constantly set switched to live but the actual car plug will not be live all day. Oh, and full marks for the carpentry Colin !

Why do they call it the Granny Charger I wonder ? Sounds disparaging to all of our Grannies to my mind ! I use my supplied charger plugged into the garage 13amp socket with a plug-in timer set for 8pm to 8am. I just plug the car in every night and unplug it from the car every morning. The socket is constantly set switched to live but the actual car plug will not be live all day. Oh, and full marks for the carpentry Colin !

Does anyone know what the flashing power and charge lights mean ? Usually they are solidly lit when charging , but mine ends up flashing intermittently.
I charged last evening but when I started the charge the green light started flashing. I ‘jiggled‘ all the connections after turning everything off. Switched power on again and solid green light! Guess there’s some degree of sensitivity built into the system demanding everything is 100% OK not just 99%!

Oh and flashing green light = not charging!

Last edited:
I charged last evening but when I started the charge the green light started flashing. I ‘chiggled‘ all the connections after turning everything off. Switched power on again and solid green light! Guess there’s some degree of sensitivity built into the system demanding everything is 100% OK not just 99%!

Oh and flashing green light = not charging!
I would check your socket outlet for loose connections and general condition etc.
A good quality socket out is recommended for using a Granny unit.
They are pulling close to the rated load for a 13 Amp outlet !.

I would check your socket outlet for loose connections and general condition etc.
Thanks mate but it was the connector direct into the car that wasn’t seated firmly enough I think. Everything else was fine and house only a few years old!

Silly me , didn’t notice the Light Codes on the bottom of the charger - flashing Charge and Power lights = charge finished .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom