"Green Flash" Registration Plates

Electric Berry

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All

Did any MG5 EV owners get theirs with the Green Strip on their registration plate like the following ?

1614267111951.png

Did this come included with yours or did you have to custom order them ?

Mine have the dealers plates on them with their name at the bottom (which I'm not a big fan of) and are just the same as a standard ICE car. So I presume the dealer either changed the plates or just ordered these for the car rather than ones with a "green flash".

I'm thinking about getting them changed so I can proudly show my EV status on the roads. Along with the other future benefits that may include EV only parking and possible bus lane usage etc.

Has anyone ordered any of these ? if so where from and how much?

do you think its even worth it ?

"Green Plates will Benefit EV Drivers
From December 8th, the front and rear number plates of newly registered zero-emission vehicles will feature a green flash on the left-hand side. The plates will make it easier to differentiate fully electric vehicles from those with petrol or diesel engines"

* Quote above taken from the following site
https://www.carreg.co.uk/carreg-news/evs-add-a-green-flash-to-your-number-plates/

My MG5 came with the green flash in January and I replaced the plates on my wife's Zoe (which she got last October). For the replacements, I had to produce the V5, presumably to prove ownership and/or the car was a BEV.

They look great IMHO and I guess the intention is that there will be initiatives to encourage full BEV ownership.

Upvote 0
How? How does differentiating your car from other cars benefit EV drivers?
It's not like there are any initiatives where green plate owners get any benefits.
Personally I don't see the point.
no sure if I posted wrong here, but that was just a quote from a website (link in original post) but there was a whole other section about me asking if anyone got theirs with the green plates on ? and apparently there may be opportunities to maybe use bus lanes and "EV only" parking, but i believe it's supposed to help cameras and such differentiate between EV and ICE cars, amongst other benefits listed further in the linked article...

Upvote 0
I don’t have them. I suppose of you like the green bar then go ahead. Any EV privileges (conjestion charges for example) will be detected from the actual number plate registered with DVLA not the green bit - otherwise everyone would get them! 🤪🤪🤪

Upvote 0
My MG5 came with the green flash in January and I replaced the plates on my wife's Zoe (which she got last October). For the replacements, I had to produce the V5, presumably to prove ownership and/or the car was a BEV.

They look great IMHO and I guess the intention is that there will be initiatives to encourage full BEV ownership.
Ahh so i presume it was my dealer that changed them :/ picked mine up late Jan

Upvote 0
I don’t have them. I suppose of you like the green bar then go ahead. Any EV privileges (conjestion charges for example) will be detected from the actual number plate registered with DVLA not the green bit - otherwise everyone would get them! 🤪🤪🤪
yeah i kinda like the look of them. I agree, ANPR does the identification part, just seems like a nice way to spot other EV's on the road without shouting or plastering stickers on it that say "I HAVE AN EV" or "100% electric" plus the MG5 looks like a diesel estate car so its not as obvious...

Upvote 0

Where did you get the replacements from ?

Upvote 0
I’ve purchased plates from Amazon and eBay in the past and found them ok. I like the 3D or 4D plates - take a look at them.

Upvote 0
Mine came fitted with "green plates" We also get free parking at all local council car parks in Warwickshire too. We apply for a free exemption sticker for the front screen. Nifty for a quick shopping visit.

Upvote 0
Hi All

Did any MG5 EV owners get theirs with the Green Strip on their registration plate like the following ?

View attachment 1737

Did this come included with yours or did you have to custom order them ?

Mine have the dealers plates on them with their name at the bottom (which I'm not a big fan of) and are just the same as a standard ICE car. So I presume the dealer either changed the plates or just ordered these for the car rather than ones with a "green flash".

I'm thinking about getting them changed so I can proudly show my EV status on the roads. Along with the other future benefits that may include EV only parking and possible bus lane usage etc.

Has anyone ordered any of these ? if so where from and how much?

do you think its even worth it ?

"Green Plates will Benefit EV Drivers
From December 8th, the front and rear number plates of newly registered zero-emission vehicles will feature a green flash on the left-hand side. The plates will make it easier to differentiate fully electric vehicles from those with petrol or diesel engines"

* Quote above taken from the following site
https://www.carreg.co.uk/carreg-news/evs-add-a-green-flash-to-your-number-plates/
For me, I don't like or want the green flash and its not mandatory. Any index plates made to display on a vehicle has to have the plate makers details on the bottom of each plate, a legal requirement unless they are used on show cars i.e. not on the highway.
You can be fined by the police for using plates without the makers details. I think up to £60 or receive a 'vehicle defect rectification notice' (VDRS) Thes have been used by police across England, Scotland and Wales since the mid-1980s. and then certified by an MOT station (more cost) within 14 days. I believe they can also fail at MOT.

Upvote 0
I asked and I got from the dealers at no extra charge...and they are legal
I'm not saying that the green flash is illegal, but omitting the details of the maker of the plate or the BS AU 145d etc on the plate is: The plates shown by the op has no such information. Below is an extract from the DVLA. From experience with issuing ratification notices it never been challenged. Lots of people use "Show Plates" and these will soon be picked up at MOT. I believe the rules on registration plates or index plates are being amended in September 2021.

What's the British Standard for number plates?​

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and reflectivity.

The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:

• The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
  • The name, trademark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier (The company that made the plate)
  • Name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom