Has anyone on here hardwired in a dashcam to the MG5 yet?

greentangerine

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone on here hardwired in a dashcam to the MG5 yet and if so, any issues, which fuse(s) did you use etc.?

It seems the fuse box is on the driver side - I've previously fitted dashcams to my wife's Fiesta and then to her new Zoe and in both cases they were on the passenger side and easily accessible behind the glove box with convenient earth points too. The MG5 looks a bit trickier.

Looking at the manual, I'm planning to use fuse F2 for the switched supply to the cam but also need a permanently powered one for the parking / bump sensor - haven't yet worked out anything suitable so may have to experiment.

I had one fitted by Halfords at the weekend.
At first he thought all fuses were live but he did find one that was ok.
I'm afraid that's the extent of my knowledge as installation took a couple of hours and on a cold day I left him to it.
My mileage is a lot less than it used to be so I opted for the cheap and cheerful Halfords top of the range own brand.
Due to a curious pricing policy it's cheaper to have front and rear cameras rather than front only - at £109 fitted they were £30 or so cheaper than having just the front.
One problem with the rear camera is it tends to affect the radio reception particularly Digital. I was aware of this and may just remove the rear camera connection so it's just a visual deterrent -it's still worked out cheaper!
Halfords tend to have mixed reviews for installation but Havant branch have hard wired 3 cars for me and I've always been impressed.

The fuse box is a real pain to get to and even trickier to put back together but that’s pretty much the hardest part of the install.

The camera I used only needed a switched circuit so I used fuse F1 which is front console power. You can pretty much use any fuse that suits your needs. Check it’s live when the car is locked and completely shut down. You might need to open the windows, lock it from the outside then climb in to make the car shut down!

I hadn’t noticed any radio interference but the kit I used had coils to wrap over the wires to suppress interference. To be honest I haven’t driven it enough yet to test that out.

Finally fitted mine today. Turns out I misread the dash-cam manual and only needed a switched supply so used the F1 fuse.

Didn't bother removing the lower front panel - just the side one allowed enough access to get at the fuse and a suitable earth point. Also loosened the A frame cover enough to thread the wire up.

All popped back on easy enough.

Where have you mounted the camera? I have a nextbase 412GW and not sure I can mount it without blocking my view. Also any power that can be reached out of the mirror housing?

Where have you mounted the camera? I have a nextbase 412GW and not sure I can mount it without blocking my view. Also any power that can be reached out of the mirror housing?
I mounted it just to the left of the central housing as high as it would go without interfering with the dashcam's forward view.

The fuse box is annoyingly on the driver side so the cable has to go around the central mirror mount but there's enough of a gap for the wire to be pushed inside. I only have about 3cm of wire visible above the dashcam.

I did contemplate trying to take the central mount apart as there is the power to the rain sensor and auto dipping rear mirror but in the end decided the cable run was easy and invisible enough plus it is all easily removable if necessary with no actual modifications to the car other than the piggy-back fuse holder.

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_171925493.jpg
    IMG_20210125_171925493.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 405
The fuse box is a real pain to get to and even trickier to put back together but that’s pretty much the hardest part of the install.

The camera I used only needed a switched circuit so I used fuse F1 which is front console power. You can pretty much use any fuse that suits your needs. Check it’s live when the car is locked and completely shut down. You might need to open the windows, lock it from the outside then climb in to make the car shut down!

I hadn’t noticed any radio interference but the kit I used had coils to wrap over the wires to suppress interference. To be honest I haven’t driven it enough yet to test that out.
Hi, I’m having real issues with this! I’ve tried many different fuses (Ac control module, front right seat heater etc) but the dash am is constantly on. Doesn’t switch off when I turn off the ignition and it even turned on as soon as I plugged in the fuse. Any ideas??
Thanks

Are you sure the camera isn't running from its own internal battery?

Are you sure the camera isn't running from its own internal battery?
I had it fitted in my Audi, I transferred it straight from there to the MG, fitting it exactly the same.
min the Audi it worked correctly, turned on with ignition and then turned off when car was off.
it’s not running on its own power because it’s off, then turns on as soon as it’s plugged into the fuse box.
I had it in the front right heater seat. The button for that doesn’t do anything when car is off yet, the dash cam is on, it’s very strange and frustrating.

Fuse 1 has to be a good choice as that supplies the front 12V power socket and that's where I (temporarily) have my own camera connected. This does switch off when the car is shut down.

Fuse 1 has to be a good choice as that supplies the front 12V power socket and that's where I (temporarily) have my own camera connected. This does switch off when the car is shut down.
I think I did try 1 but then loads of errors came up and said issue with the electric parking button… might have to try again, maybe didn’t push in all the way.
thanks

I had a similar problem when I hardwired a camera in my Ford Focus. Definitely chose a valid fuse but ended up with all sorts of weird errors. Picked a different fuse and everything was fine.
If Fuse 1 seems problematic, just use the fuse list in the owners manual as a guide for selecting another. There are plenty of them!

I wired the dashcam to the usb supply in the central console, Infront of the gear selectors. Works well as camera gets power as soon as the car is unlocked, before turning car on. Definitely the easiest way rather than getting into the fuse box

Has anyone on here hardwired in a dashcam to the MG5 yet and if so, any issues, which fuse(s) did you use etc.?

It seems the fuse box is on the driver side - I've previously fitted dashcams to my wife's Fiesta and then to her new Zoe and in both cases they were on the passenger side and easily accessible behind the glove box with convenient earth points too. The MG5 looks a bit trickier.

Looking at the manual, I'm planning to use fuse F2 for the switched supply to the cam but also need a permanently powered one for the

Looking at the manual, I'm planning to use fuse F2 for the switched supply to the cam but also need a permanently powered one for the parking / bump sensor - haven't yet worked out anything suitable so may have to experiment.

parking / bump sensor - haven't yet worked out anything suitable so may have to experiment.
Did you manage to sort out the dashcam, I am about to do the same but as far as I see it ( in the manual ) the passenger side fusebox with the F2 fuse looks like a good option as it supplies USB ports and this is live when the car is unlocked.
Which fuse did you use for permanent supply to the dashcam ?

Hi I know this is an old thread but could someone show a picture of the fusebox with the piggy back installed? I am going to install mine next weekend and some help with the fuse install would be really appreciated

Trying to prepare to order the piggyback fuses... I saw a post somewhere on here suggesting these are Micro sized? Can someone confirm?

Finally hardwired mine and what a swear jar filler it was too!

After a failed attempt at the start of the week went at it again and perhaps not the best time as sore throat but just went for it.
That fuse just did not want to leave the holder but after throwing in an extra £20 in the jar finally it gave way!
Then the rest went quite well. The plastic cover on the side fits bar a small gap at the top where one of the plastic lugs has either bent or become slightly misshaped but I'll have a look tomorrow.

Argos sent me a £5 off voucher so that along with discounted gift cards bought via our work rebate site meant the Nextbase 522GW cost me £148.

Now to chill, charge the car and relax for the evening.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom