• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Have MG shots themselves in the foot with price increase?

davz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Being the cautious type I haven’t rushed in to buy the MG4 and tbh I’m very glad I did, hopefully MG customer care will improve and the issues are resolved.
However whilst I sit back and wait there are Ev manufacturers about to join the party.
Byd have a good sized suv available this quarter from pendragon, Clark’s and lookers. Supposed to be £31k (not sure if that is on the road) which has a rather funky light interior, which I like, and a full panoramic roof.
Fisker are going into full production q2 and are selling the ocean sport suv at £34900 otr, good looking interior 17” screen, metallic paint is standard and again a full panoramic roof.
Both of these cars are really well specced and makes the trophy look rather Spartan in comparison.
Have MG made the trophy far too expensive and will they have to reduce the price to compete?
I prefer the Byd and Fisker as they are much larger cars and are better value for money but if a trophy seriously undercuts them then that becomes a different matter. Mg does have room to manoeuvre as the mg4 is less than £15k in China.
I hope that Byd and Fisker will prove to be the catalyst to force euro makers to reduce ev prices as they are seriously over priced in comparison to the manufacturing costs of an ice car.

Being the cautious type I haven’t rushed in to buy the MG4 and tbh I’m very glad I did, hopefully MG customer care will improve and the issues are resolved.
However whilst I sit back and wait there are Ev manufacturers about to join the party.
Byd have a good sized suv available this quarter from pendragon, Clark’s and lookers. Supposed to be £31k (not sure if that is on the road) which has a rather funky light interior, which I like, and a full panoramic roof.
Fisker are going into full production q2 and are selling the ocean sport suv at £34900 otr, good looking interior 17” screen, metallic paint is standard and again a full panoramic roof.
Both of these cars are really well specced and makes the trophy look rather Spartan in comparison.
Have MG made the trophy far too expensive and will they have to reduce the price to compete?
I prefer the Byd and Fisker as they are much larger cars and are better value for money but if a trophy seriously undercuts them then that becomes a different matter. Mg does have room to manoeuvre as the mg4 is less than £15k in China.
I hope that Byd and Fisker will prove to be the catalyst to force euro makers to reduce ev prices as they are seriously over priced in comparison to the manufacturing costs of an ice car.
I think MG need to be very careful with price rises and shouldn’t push it any more. At £26k my SE isn’t a bargain, but is a fairish price for a reasonable spec EV ( everyone else’s are over priced )

I personally put a £250 deposit down for a fisher ocean a few months ago, if it they can release the entry spec one for £35k then I’ll buy it asap as that truly is a bargain and I really like the Fischer brand. I’m just hoping that they don’t increase the £35k model to “match” overpriced European rivals.

So far, my experience of MG customer care has been excellent. I'm sure plenty of people would say the same, but complainers terms to be more vocal.
Until the rivals actually hit the market, and the cars hit the road, I wouldn't bet on the prices staying where they're currently being talked about.
The MGs remains thousands cheaper than the rivals currently on sale, and MG can't deliver the cars quickly enough. Not to mention that the Roadster coming along later this year will make plenty of headlines.
In other words, people might not like the price hike, but I don't think MG need to panic.

All importers into this country have had to deal with the fall of the Pound and our high inflation rate. The British pound has lost 18% its value since 2021. Manufacturers have to make a profit or they go under so they have to put the prices up. I went to look at and test drive a Renault E Megane last week their prices have gone up as well. Don't believe the hype the Byd Atto 3 will cost more than promised and will be nearer be £35,000 just like the Ora Cat is not going to be the promised £26000.

At the moment it’s the UK economy that is not helping prices or deals - in particular the weak pound and interest rates on PCP deals.
I too am looking at these models but I very much doubt that they will be at the prices that are currently suggested.
Manufactures margins can be trimmed but the timing needs to be right and it‘s usually done through a concession structure and not off the list price, but that may change.

All importers into this country have had to deal with the fall of the Pound and our high inflation rate. The British pound has lost 18% its value since 2021. Manufacturers have to make a profit or they go under so they have to put the prices up. I went to look at and test drive a Renault E Megane last week their prices have gone up as well. Don't believe the hype the Byd Atto 3 will cost more than promised and will be nearer be £35,000 just like the Ora Cat is not going to be the promised £26000.
Even if the Byd is nearer to £35k it’s still only a bit more than a trophy and with the better spec/size it would get my vote over an mg4.

By the way the value of the pound has fallen against the dollar but so has every other currency. The falling values of currencies is something that global car companies protect themselves from for about 4 yrs in advance by selling/purchasing currency at set prices, known has hedging, otherwise car prices would be fluctuating on a daily basis. The rise in foreign car prices is therefore not due to a weak pound against the dollar but increased manufacturing costs.

I think MG need to be very careful with price rises and shouldn’t push it any more. At £26k my SE isn’t a bargain, but is a fairish price for a reasonable spec EV ( everyone else’s are over priced )

I personally put a £250 deposit down for a fisher ocean a few months ago, if it they can release the entry spec one for £35k then I’ll buy it asap as that truly is a bargain and I really like the Fischer brand. I’m just hoping that they don’t increase the £35k model to “match” overpriced European rivals.
I’m with you on the fisker ocean sport, made in Austria at the plant that makes top end cars like m5’s, ttrs etc so the Fisker will be well engineered and put together. £35k fingers crossed!

It took me an awful long time to join the EV revolution as i was simply not prepared to spend over £30k on a flaming car..... period. I also had to be honest about the size of car so Fiat 500 and Renault Zoe were completely out of the question as i currently drive a 2016 Kia Sportage and for good reason. I had actually settled on a used (2020 ish) Hyundai Ioniq due to the normal size and layout plus the fact that I could get a nice low mileage sample for under the £30k mark. It wasn't until i saw an advert pop up on Autotrader for the MG4 that I even knew it existed. When i saw the base price of around £26k I thought it would either be too small or it would be dog poo. I went to my nearest MG dealer just to stand next to one and have a sit in. Now... £26k isn't a small amount of money but considering every other new EV was mid £30k upwards, I was amazed at what MG had brought to the market. So after a couple of test drives, I ordered an MG4 SE standard range but only after the recent price rise unfortunately. What I find ridiculous is that we are talking about £35k like its nothing. But lets all be honest, we're not spending £35k of our own money.... It's all about the PCP. The £26,995 I paid for my MG4 is around £6k less than I paid for my first house. These aren't small numbers so I say thanks to MG for bringing good value EVs to the market that the average Joe "with finance of course" can realistically hope to afford. Ora Funky Cat.... too expensive, BYD Atto.... too expensive. Fisker Ocean.... too expensive and don't get me started on Teslas and Audi E-trons. The MG4 represents the best value, bang for buck EV you can currently buy and it's no wonder that so many reviews say the same.

Last edited:
VW have hiked their prices - 3k I think - which almost certainly means the Born will go up too. That's the 4s most obvious rivals losing ground.
Apparently Electrifying are now thinking more like 40k for the BYD. I've no way of verifying that, but it shows how the low price initially touted is by no means guaranteed.

Some of them aren't losing ground though, this was discussed already, the born, Megane etc aren't that much more a month than a trophy, less than £50 now, granted it's a V1 born, it still beat the 4 in a what car group test.

They extra quality of those cars is far superior, that could be the difference maker when the amounts aren't that different.

The MG4 only really becomes a good deal with either of the 2 SE cars, there really isn't any competition for them

Some of them aren't losing ground though, this was discussed already, the born, Megane etc aren't that much more a month than a trophy, less than £50 now, granted it's a V1 born, it still beat the 4 in a what car group test.

They extra quality of those cars is far superior, that could be the difference maker when the amounts aren't that different.

The MG4 only really becomes a good deal with either of the 2 SE cars, there really isn't any competition for them
Was it really a V1 Born in that group test? I can't quickly find it but I seem to recall it was a V2.

By comparison, Tesla has globally cut prices this quarter by £5k-£8k haven't they and has stock for delivery in 7 to 14 days on most specs

This is where customer service can also be a big differentiator, when prices get closer.

Was it really a V1 Born in that group test? I can't quickly find it but I seem to recall it was a V2.
Sure it was the V1 as it was definitely the Equilibre Megane (bottom spec)

It took me an awful long time to join the EV revolution as i was simply not prepared to spend over £30k on a flaming car..... period. I also had to be honest about the size of car so Fiat 500 and Renault Zoe were completely out of the question as i currently drive a 2016 Kia Sportage and for good reason. I had actually settled on a used (2020 ish) Hyundai Ioniq due to the normal size and layout plus the fact that I could get a nice low mileage sample for under the £30k mark. It wasn't until i saw an advert pop up on Autotrader for the MG4 that I even knew it existed. When i saw the base price of around £26k I thought it would either be too small or it would be dog poo. I went to my nearest MG dealer just to stand next to one and have a sit in. Now... £26k isn't a small amount of money but considering every other new EV was mid £30k upwards, I was amazed at what MG had brought to the market. So after a couple of test drives, I ordered an MG4 SE standard range but only after the recent price rise unfortunately. What I find ridiculous is that we are talking about £35k like its nothing. But lets all be honest, we're not spending £35k of our own money.... It's all about the PCP. The £26,995 I paid for my MG4 is around £6k less than I paid for my first house. These aren't small numbers so I say thanks to MG for bringing good value EVs to the market that the average Joe "with finance of course" can realistically hope to afford. Ora Funky Cat.... too expensive, BYD Atto.... too expensive. Fisker Ocean.... too expensive and don't get me started on Teslas and Audi E-trons. The MG4 represents the best value, bang for buck EV you can currently buy and it's no wonder that so many reviews say the same.
I totally agree with your thinking, tbh electric vehicles should be much cheaper than an ice as the machining and assembly times are much reduced which reduces labour costs. The smart money buys an mg4 se and not the way overpriced trophy, if the Atto and Fisker come to market at £35k it will force a price reduction of the trophy.

I totally agree with your thinking, tbh electric vehicles should be much cheaper than an ice as the machining and assembly times are much reduced which reduces labour costs. The smart money buys an mg4 se and not the way overpriced trophy, if the Atto and Fisker come to market at £35k it will force a price reduction of the trophy.
Agree the 2 SE models are great value cheap EV's, the hit a spot in the market for size and range that really doesn't have any competition. At their price point, people will accept some cost savings in terms of quality of materials etc.
As far as the trophy goes that, with the price and Apr rise,it is now not far off the price of far better cars in terms of quality, reliability functionality.

TBH I think they’ve got a bloody cheek increasing the price of a car with so many issues.

Where are you seeing these Megane PCP deals?
I’ve finally snapped with my dealer, that’s 3.5 weeks and no sign of a repair.
So I’ve said rejection and I’m moving into another brand asap.

Where are you seeing these Megane PCP deals?
I’ve finally snapped with my dealer, that’s 3.5 weeks and no sign of a repair.
So I’ve said rejection and I’m moving into another brand asap.
You won't find the deal advertised, you will need to shop around and get a dealer with a deal, I've messaged back and forwards with several members in here who have given up on the 4 for one reason or another, I got a £1200 dealer contribution, I phoned 8 dealers before I got that, I think most members that have went with the Megane have ended up with a similar discount. I also got £1000 more PX for my car from Renault than 3 MG dealers offered. Add all that to a 6.2% Apr finance deal (if PCP is what you want) and that's probably saving you a good bit over £1000 over the 4 years compared to MG's 8.9%
All that together brings the deals a lot closer between the 4 and Megane. Similarly the Born, Cupra offer better PX deals than MG (in my experience) and it is a great car to drive, I'd say sportier and better handling than my Megane and better than the 4. I just felt the Mégane for me was the better all round package, but worth trying that also.

You won't find the deal advertised, you will need to shop around and get a dealer with a deal, I've messaged back and forwards with several members in here who have given up on the 4 for one reason or another, I got a £1200 dealer contribution, I phoned 8 dealers before I got that, I think most members that have went with the Megane have ended up with a similar discount. I also got £1000 more PX for my car from Renault than 3 MG dealers offered. Add all that to a 6.2% Apr finance deal (if PCP is what you want) and that's probably saving you a good bit over £1000 over the 4 years compared to MG's 8.9%
All that together brings the deals a lot closer between the 4 and Megane. Similarly the Born, Cupra offer better PX deals than MG (in my experience) and it is a great car to drive, I'd say sportier and better handling than my Megane and better than the 4. I just felt the Mégane for me was the better all round package, but worth trying that also.

Cheers, I really like the Megane.
The Citroen C4 EV is also interesting, and good value.
Altough a bit slower than I’d like (136bhp)

MG east london have got an white SE SR in the showroom with a grand off. It's a later one so no rear privacy glass.
I don't know if it's a pre reg or not (Suspect not)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 468 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back