Have we done the right thing, changing to MG EV's

Richie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Just joined and looking forward to some good info and discussions.
We have had the ZS EV about three weeks now and only completed about 200 miles. Changed from a 3 yr old Mercedes SLC so quite a change.
Looked at three dealers here in Essex and took the best deal (we think), having said that these MG dealers are much the same with very little or no incentives or goodies. Unlike the Merc dealer. Interested in following up the issue of charging/locked doors and will look into this one.

We have also ordered the MG5 EV after having a test drive and was impressed. Again a big change from my 2 yr old Discovery HSE Lux but hey the price, tax and fuel savings should make me feel better. Not sure I used all the things on the Discovery anyway but will miss the heated steering wheel and most the heated windscreen (what a joy that is in the winter). Still again the savings and the "green ethos" should be good. The biggest headache was choosing a charger and then the fitting with a need to change of the 40 amp fuse to 100 amp and then 40 amp meter needs changing, then the tails all by different "owners" plus a small consumer box, then an isolation switch all inside the meter box. Not something any dealer warned us about.

The MG5 is expected in March and I am hoping as mentioned in some blogs that there might be a facelift after seeing the China/Thailand MG 5 on the net. I know it’s an ICE car but the body work looks really good and with a modern aggressive front end and less like a VW Passat!

Have we done the right thing changing to MG? 😧 🙄

I’ve had mine since March, completed over 10k in miles and love it, only wish it had a little more range for when I do my longer business runs...really happy MG owner👍👌

I think you've done the right thing...yes battery is the future...I might have mentioned that before....;)

thumbnail_IMG_8612.jpg

Welcome. Only you can decide if you’ve made the right decision. I’d say so. If you like toys, what made you choose the 5 over the ZS.

I wouldn’t expect any dealer to tell me about requirements for EVSE installation. It sounds like you could do with a supply/meter upgrade anyway. I got a new fuse when my smart meter was installed. If you haven’t got economy 7 meters then you would benefit from a smart meter.

I made the change to battery almost 6 years ago. No regrets. I’ve had the ZS now 11 months. No regrets.

Have you seen any of my videos?

Mike Procter
Yes, seen a few and watched Driver assistance worries - Is it just me? last night. Tried the ACC and Pilot today on a dual carriage way but found it hard to distinguish which one I had selected. Cruise was okay and slowed down but the LKW I still need to find!
The dash on restart show cruise and diggi speed which we liked but went off after a while. Also charging with the doors unlocked does not work so sat in with the doors locked. Dealer say with have the latest update (the outside temp is shown in the screen top right?) and no Bongs.
Not had the charger fitted yet at home due to the electric issues mentioned so hopefully next couple of weeks when the EO mini plus is fitted will check the timer charging.
So far so good just a learning curve,

It sounds like you don’t have the latest module updates but you have got Comfort 2. you may have some issues getting it to timer charge, but it’s part of the fun!

Perhaps you missed the deal packages that were available up until the end of September. We got an awesome deal, over £4k trade-in on a car worth at most £200, add that to the government grant, free servicing for three years, free cable, free charger it was hard not to do it. I've done about 700 miles in mine, love it.

Perhaps you missed the deal packages that were available up until the end of September. We got an awesome deal, over £4k trade-in on a car worth at most £200, add that to the government grant, free servicing for three years, free cable, free charger it was hard not to do it. I've done about 700 miles in mine, love it.
Yes gutted I jumped in quickly thinking it was a great deal, but then the deal got even better. Oh well it could have gone the other way and I’m still happy that I’ve got a great car for the money and I’m still saving a fortune compared to my Volvo XC90....

Hi
Thanks for the reply. Yes we got the 4k trade in on on the MG5 order. The lead you mention is the the granny lead as we have had that one but the charger was only with PCP etc and not a cash deal. Do you have the finance package which was a good one?
Best bit about our trade in is that we can buy back our classic little run about for a pound!

The lead you mention is the the granny lead as we have had that one but the charger was only with PCP etc and not a cash deal. Do you have the finance package which was a good one?
Best bit about our trade in is that we can buy back our classic little run about for a pound!
The lead was in fact a type 2 charging cable in an MG branded bag, plus the granny charger. Haven't used either yet! Did not use Finance due to the really good trade ins (used anothe vehicle as well). Didn;t know about the buy back, I might've purchased our old runabout back to use until it didn't go anymore!

The lead was in fact a type 2 charging cable in an MG branded bag, plus the granny charger. Haven't used either yet! Did not use Finance due to the really good trade ins (used anothe vehicle as well). Didn;t know about the buy back, I might've purchased our old runabout back to use until it didn't go anymore!
Great deal with both cables though. I found the dealers the tightest bunch I have had to deal with for years!

On the finance side I was told I could not get the 4k if I took a finance package.

Last edited:
Really what dealer was that deal struck with??
Hi Mark
Rather not say at the moment as others did not get the option and I don't want to "rock the boat" on my deal until I have the car in case they get any trouble from MG.
One point of the deal is not selling back to you but to another person ;-)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom