Have you got any rust on your MG ZS EV?

Have you got any visible rust on your MG ZS EV?

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
A simple poll for existing MG ZS EV owners to gauge whether rust is a real problem or not. Please cast your vote.
If you have got some rust, please post details and photos of your car. Ideally including when it was manufactured and delivered as if this is an issue at all, it might be limited to certain batches.
Thanks

Last edited:
I was looking at an ex demonstrator which is a significant distance from me, so I asked if they could show the underside and arches etc.. Going on the assumption that, as a demonstrator vehicle, it has likely been outside for a lot of its life and was registered early on. They sent the attached, which although is understandably difficult to see, there's certainly no very obvious rust on the underside edges.

I am now looking at a March/April delivery so won't be able to comment on this until later :)

I think it's going to be sometime before there can be any useful feedback regarding this. Even if rust is going to be a problem, it's going to be towards the end of the year at the very earliest before there is realistically much sign of it showing through.

Even in the bad old days of 70's rust buckets that rotted out in a few years, you'd be hard pressed to find much early rusting before a year was out!!

Why do you think there would be rust present in the MG ZS EV?

The only sign of rust is the screws the dealer used to attach the front and rear mud flaps. They were rusty in days,so, I replaced them with stainless steel screws. all good now !

Just noticed that whilst charging at home on my 7kw if you push the button on the actual door handle with the MG key not in range of the car the centre display panel shows the level of charge and remaining time to full charge

Why do you think there would be rust present in the MG ZS EV?
There has been someone supposedly with an ICE MG causing a fuss about rust online. Personally I always Waxoyl my cars as a matter of course and have done so this time. I'm not in least worried.

Last edited:
Could this be someone acting on behalf of another manufacturer that is fearful of the sales success of the MG? Maybe a manufacturer that is unable to sell anymore stock as they have sold this year’s allocation?

It wouldn't surprise me, dirty tricks.

I did check with my dealer first, about the waxoyl. They had no problems with it. It was the same with my last new car, a Kia Sportage......When it went for its last service at 6 years, the dealer took me into the workshop to look underneath. He said he had never seen a 6 year old car so good underneath. ?

I followed the chaps story with the rusting ZS, He was genuine and the car was truly terrible. Something had gone seriously wrong, towards the end of the story, rust even started to burst out on all his upper panels through the paint, not just the underbody! His finance company eventually got MG to take the car back for a full refund, but it was handled badly. Had MG promptly taken the car back and given him a new one we most probably wouldn't be here discussing this topic at all!

I don't think there is a systemic problem though,

As my granddad used to say..."its better to keep a customer, than find a new one"......come on MG...don't you you have a customer relations Department??

If you have, wake him up, and while you're at it.....get him on to the BONGS, as a matter of urgency. Costing you thousands in disgruntled buyers and putting off new one's!! Pretty basic stuff really!!

I have seen one or two You Tube Vids of ZS owners with rust coming up on the under side of the cars.
Some less than a year old!
Also seen a few posts on Facebook about the problem.
Is your car rusty ??

I've had mine a year and looked underneath and there's absolutely no rust on mine.

I looked because I saw them videos, and saw comments about the lack of underbody protection, but my last 2 new cars were exactly the same underneath as the mg as regards lack of protection, I was told by the manufactures that it has something to do with the ease of which the car can be recycled, an EU law I think I was told, older cars I had were better protected though, so I assume this is a recent thing with cars. I assume they must have better paint though because I had no problems with the other 2 cars I had before either (Suzuki and Dacia).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom