• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Headlights

Keith Harris

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Went out for the first time in the dark last night, the headlights are truly terrible, after my Mitsubishi and the Honda before that, felt like I was driving on sidelights. Anybody know the pros and cons of fitting LED please

Went out for the first time in the dark last night, the headlights are truly terrible, after my Mitsubishi and the Honda before that, felt like I was driving on sidelights. Anybody know the pros and cons of fitting LED please
I agree with your comments about the poor headlamp lighting, You will see in other posts that many owners have successfully fitted LED lamps, however it is illegal to do so in the UK so I have fitted Osram Night Breaker Laser HB3. They cost me £27 from Amazon and are a direct replacement for the original bulbs without any modification. The improvement is amazing and very similar to my previous car s LED headlamps. The only disadvantage is that these bulbs may have a shorter life.

I have thought about changing mine but I drive so little at night I dont think it is worth my while. I have mobility issues with my fingers so would also have to pay someone to do it so happy as it is. When the headlight bulbs blow for the first time I may do it then

I have thought about changing mine but I drive so little at night I dont think it is worth my while. I have mobility issues with my fingers so would also have to pay someone to do it so happy as it is. When the headlight bulbs blow for the first time I may do it then
Yes I drive very little at night , but that sort of makes it worse when you do, so I think I will change

I found them a little dim when covered in salt from the road but absolutely fine once I cleaned them. I really think some people need eye tests.
I find your comments Petriix a little harsh. As we grow older our ability to see as well in low light diminishes so some of us require a little more help with seeing at night. When I was young, some cars still had 6 volt bulbs and I could manage very well with them but now I need a lot more brightness.

Just in case you are not aware.....LED are not allowed unless the car is fitted with automated levelling devices, in fact from this year if the car was going through an MOT the testers are instructed to fail the car if it has LED lights retrofitted. Also it appears that because of this insurers have been using the modification not passed to them clause to get out of insurance liability. Changing to a different brand of halogen bulbs is no isssue.....

Just in case you are not aware.....LED are not allowed unless the car is fitted with automated levelling devices, in fact from this year if the car was going through an MOT the testers are instructed to fail the car if it has LED lights retrofitted. Also it appears that because of this insurers have been using the modification not passed to them clause to get out of insurance liability. Changing to a different brand of halogen bulbs is no isssue.....
thank you Alan , no I wouldn’t change to LED I’m aware of the legality I will change them to a better halogen , speaking of legality I’m not sure the current ones comply.

If you don't wanna mess around with LED's, then something like the OSRAM's in this video could be a good upgrade. I have LED's fitted. But no matter what, you will be happy with the upgrade you go for, the originals is just for the bin.

I agree with your comments about the poor headlamp lighting, You will see in other posts that many owners have successfully fitted LED lamps, however it is illegal to do so in the UK so I have fitted Osram Night Breaker Laser HB3. They cost me £27 from Amazon and are a direct replacement for the original bulbs without any modification. The improvement is amazing and very similar to my previous car s LED headlamps. The only disadvantage is that these bulbs may have a shorter life.
I’m using the night breaker laser HB3 as well, what an improvement overall... highly recommend.

I think it is incongruous that on one thread, people discuss tinting the windscreen and, on another, how poor the headlights are.
Early 90s I had a 88 Ford Granada Ghia that had black tinted headlights (standard fitment), awful idea. :unsure:

I think it is incongruous that on one thread, people discuss tinting the windscreen and, on another, how poor the headlights are.
You need the tinted windscreen to protect you from the glare of constantly being flashed by everyone because of your super-bright LEDs 🤪🤪

So is this all legal to do in the UK yourself?
Yes they're legal as they are the same type Halogen bulb as stock. They're just a bit whiter and brighter. At the cost of not lasting as long.

I really think that you MAY find the OEM lamps a little on the “Yellowish” side, depending on what you have been driving in the past.
My wife has a 2015 Fiat 500 ( somebody has too ) and the lights in the ZS EV are about the same ( ish ).
On my previous VW Golf GTE the light from the head lights where a LOT whiter in colour and had a better reach & spread.
Returning to the yellow ( ish ) light from the ZS was noticeable straight away.
If I was conducting a LOT of night driving, then I would upgrade for sure.
The OEM lights are okay, but it depends on what you have become use to I guess .
Jumping from one car to another frequently and you will spot the difference instantly.
The upgrade to the “Night Breakers” is a fairly cheap and easy upgrade and does not contravene any MOT issues.
So, if the poor light level affects you or just “Bug’s” you every time you use the car at night, then carry out the upgrade is my suggestion !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom