• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Heated rear window missing at top 3”

PaullyB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, just got MG HS phev (690 miles now, 43mpg, very comfortable, nice power) great car but… I have a question, now we have rubbish weather I need to de-mist rear windscreen, the top 3 wires don’t de-mist! See picture…..So the rest of the screen de-mist‘s ok, I have heard that this may be the dab radio aerial ( ! ) and nothing to worry about… so my question is… what is the “shark fin aerial” for then If the screen heater element encompasses the aerial ? Also, has anyone else knocked the gear lever into neutral when driving? I have just put it back into drive and it seems ok but… little concerned it moves to neutral without pressing the unlock button… ant thoughts please.

Attachments

• C3548AED-E433-4BFB-90D9-AFCDE6515044.jpeg
    C3548AED-E433-4BFB-90D9-AFCDE6515044.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 261
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, just got MG HS phev (690 miles now, 43mpg, very comfortable, nice power) great car but… I have a question, now we have rubbish weather I need to de-mist rear windscreen, the top 3 wires don’t de-mist! See picture…..So the rest of the screen de-mist‘s ok, I have heard that this may be the dab radio aerial ( ! ) and nothing to worry about… so my question is… what is the “shark fin aerial” for then If the screen heater element encompasses the aerial ? Also, has anyone else knocked the gear lever into neutral when driving? I have just put it back into drive and it seems ok but… little concerned it moves to neutral without pressing the unlock button… ant thoughts please.
Hi @PaullyB love your profile picture OBTW :ROFLMAO: .
I don't own a HS sorry, I am a ZS EV man myself.
Regarding your H.R.W. issue - I am on the same page as yourself regarding the three missing heater elements.
Have they never worked or is this a new thing ?.
I would think the external arial takes care of the radio reception requirements TBH ???.
But a HS owner is better qualified to answer this one.
The last time I seen this type of missing HRW elements, it was down to a very fine micro break in the conductor elements on the inside of the glass.
Not sure if you are aware, but in many cases the HRW heater elements are bonded to the inside face of the glass screen.
If you lift the hatch and very slowly and lightly pass your finger tips down the glass, you should JUST about be able to feel the lines of the HRW elements crossed the screen.
The problem with these elements are, is that they CAN be damaged fairly easily.
Even the slightest scratch from a ring finger, by wiping the widow with your hand or by allowing something to come in contact with the glass, can break the circuit and cause this very situation I am sorry to report.
The missing / broken elements can be checked and verified by carefully use of a volt meter.
The usual fix is to replace the glass unfortunately :(.
That is why I asked if it was like this from new ;).

Hello
yes the same on my car the top are slow to clear and I do not think it has anything to do with the radio, also at first have put in to neutral so have learned to keep away from it.

Hi, glad you like the picture ! Ok, so this a new car, 600 odd miles, so it has always done this with the rear window, dealer thinks it is aerial, going in on 25 jan for a check so we shall see. This is first auto I have had that drive is in this position, seems odd that it will go into neutral whilst one is driving without pressing lock button… odd, so you are right, keep away from it. Still odd though…

On the subject of protecting the elements, another thing you shouldn't do is cover them with a sticker. There's a warning about this in the handbook.

Hi all, thanks for your responses, I do have a sticker, but it’s on bottom and I put it on, it is the top 3 lines which “don’t work” all I need to know is is this the radio aerial section? Does anyone know? Has anyone got HS phev that they have used de-mister and can see if theirs doesn’t do the top 3” please?

I used the demist this morning and I can confirm all the elements/strip what ever you want to call it worked and cleared the rear screen, like yourself I believe the shark fin is for the Radio.
Had a few Sierras many years ago, the radio worked on all of the strips of the heating element
(do wish I had kept a couple of the Sierras now have you seen the price of them!!)

The Shark Fin may just house a GPS receiver.
I've had a look at some old posts about the "shark fin" it only seems to mention as an aerial or radio receiver, so could be?? had a look at the manual to see if that would help, not much luck there.

Yes, I think it needs looking at, I think you are correct, shark fin is aerial, missing top 3 wires are heating element, going in on 25 for a check… we shall see. Otherwise car is great!

Lovemyev said
"Not sure if you are aware, but in many cases the HRW heater elements are bonded to the inside face of the glass screen.
If you lift the hatch and very slowly and lightly pass your finger tips down the glass, you should JUST about be able to feel the lines of the HRW elements crossed the screen."

Is the same on the HS or just on the ZS? I thought that the elements were embedded in the glass these days, I remember buying a stick-on demister many decades ago, it was a s.o.d to get right.

Anyone had tints put on?

Lovemyev said
"Not sure if you are aware, but in many cases the HRW heater elements are bonded to the inside face of the glass screen.
If you lift the hatch and very slowly and lightly pass your finger tips down the glass, you should JUST about be able to feel the lines of the HRW elements crossed the screen."

Is the same on the HS or just on the ZS? I thought that the elements were embedded in the glass these days, I remember buying a stick-on demister many decades ago, it was a s.o.d to get right.

Anyone had tints put on?
I have just checked my rear screen and YES you can feel the HRW elements passing from side to side.
I have tinted film and you can even feel the elements under the film.
This would suggest to me that the elements are not embedded inside the glass.
I will add a couple of links.
The first one gives a simple explanation of how it works and the second link, it explains the problems of WHY these can fail and how to test the function / repair.
Quote :- "Rear window heaters fitted by manufacturers are printed on to the surface of the glass or stuck on with special adhesive. Small breaks in an element can be repaired with special conducting paint.

Look at my car and took these photo one side is not complete on the left. Could this be the problem.

Attachments

• BA4B4DDC-0A69-4C16-920F-1756B2DD9E78.jpeg
    BA4B4DDC-0A69-4C16-920F-1756B2DD9E78.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 232
  • A36EB5D3-73BC-4518-9371-AA788643C523.jpeg
    A36EB5D3-73BC-4518-9371-AA788643C523.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 213
Hi new member
Had good look at the rear window whilst de-icing yesterday it appears the top three elements are joined together with elements running vertically so perhaps it is the aerial.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom