Heated seats?

DrJohnny Fever

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So anyone know, if it’s cheaper to just put on the heated seat, I’m sitting on or switch it off and try to heat up the car itself? At the minute I’m doing both, but coming from an ICE car, it seems very cold in the ZS EV…and doesn’t seem to be able to get very warm at all?

Personally, for comfort I much prefer the heated seats, which I have had in my cars for many years. I have also seen in posts that this is the most economical way to keep warm in an EV.
It’s a shame that the app doesn’t allow seat pre-heating.

I pre heat the car using the iSmart app heats the car in a few minutes and demists the windscreen

Turn the temperature up? You could always take Bob Cratchits candle and try that though.:D

You're probably in eco mode if the temperature isn't getting to what you expect.

Well that’s were I’ve been going wrong..I drive most of the time in eco…will leave it in normal and see if it’s any warmed…

Well that’s were I’ve been going wrong..I drive most of the time in eco…will leave it in normal and see if it’s any warmed…
Yeah on eco the heaters don't work. You will need to switch to Normal to get heaters or Aircon to work. Once you have made the car warm enough then you can switch back to eco. I do feel heated seats should be good enough and are meant to be the most efficient way

Power to provide heat for the PTC cabin heater, is supplied by the HV side and therefore affects the range when in normal or sports mode.
In Eco driving mode ( due to its very name ECO ) will reduce the power delivered to the cabin heater.
It’s makes perfect sense really !.
If you where running short on range, trying to get to a charger, then the first thing you would turn off straight away, is the cabin heater !.
The power for the heater blower motor and the heated front seats is provided from the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
Therefore using heated seats has almost NO affect on range reduction.
I know a lot of people favour Eco driving mode, but I find normal mode way more practical and easy to leave with all year round.
The preheating works well, because it throws everything at the car, in order to get the cabin as warm as possible, in the shortage time !.
No sparing the horses on any Eco settings here folks !.
I am willing to sacrifice any amount of range from the GOM if I can preheat the car from an App on my phone and leave home with a warm / defrosted cabin and not be belching out loads of co/2 in the process.
Absolutely priceless !.

Last edited:
Power to provide heat for the PTC cabin heater, is supplied by the HV side and therefore affects the range when in normal or sports mode.
In Eco driving mode ( due to its very name ECO ) will reduce the power delivered to the cabin heater.
It’s makes perfect sense really !.
If you where running short on range, trying to get to a charger, then the first thing you would turn off straight away, is the cabin heater !.
The power for the heater blower motor and the heated front seats is provided from the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
Therefore using heated seats has almost NO affect on range reduction.
I know a lot of people favour Eco driving mode, but I find normal mode way more practical and easy to leave with all year round.
The preheating works well, because it throws everything at the car, in order to get the cabin as warm as possible, in the shortage time !.
No sparing the horses on any Eco settings here folks !.
I am willing to sacrifice any amount of range from the GOM if I can preheat the car from an App on my phone and leave home with a warm / defrosted cabin and not be belching out loads of co/2 in the process.
Absolutely priceless !.
Hmmm I'll have to bite... as the 12v is charged from the HV battery it's moot to quibble about where ultimately the power used comes from... There ain't nowhere else it can come from (unless you're plugged into something)...?

The fact the gom only recognises use of the HVAC (& doesn't differentiate between the range implications of - no heat, a bit of heat or full on heat & AC) is another shorter cut in the implementation of the gom 🤷🏻‍♂️.

(Plus of course your preheating co2 is in reality being belched out elsewhere, ultimately 😉)

Last edited:
I think we'll start seeing some more interesting solutions over the next few years for cabin hearing in EVs.

I think one manufacturer (might have been Audi) have a design for supplementary infrared heating which makes sense in a small area where people aren't moving much. That in combo with the seat heaters could be useful amount of energy clawed back Vs a resistive heater.

It's not that EV's are particularly inefficient in the cold, is more that ICE cars are inefficient across temperatures and they manage to scavange some of that back (energy lost as heat) and use it to heat the cabin in cold temps.

I think we'll start seeing some more interesting solutions over the next few years for cabin hearing in EVs.

I think one manufacturer (might have been Audi) have a design for supplementary infrared heating which makes sense in a small area where people aren't moving much. That in combo with the seat heaters could be useful amount of energy clawed back Vs a resistive heater.

It's not that EV's are particularly inefficient in the cold, is more that ICE cars are inefficient across temperatures and they manage to scavange some of that back (energy lost as heat) and use it to heat the cabin in cold temps.
I agree.
I tend to find that with EV’s they loose the cabin temperature, almost as soon as you turn off the cabin heater.
ICE cars have of residual ( wasted ) heat from the ICE and exhaust systems for sure.
On a longer trips in an ICE car, you are able to reduce the demand for heat from the heating system.
Not with an EV so much, you have to keep the heater working to maintain the cabin at a nice toasty temperature.

I agree.
I tend to find that with EV’s they loose the cabin temperature, almost as soon as you turn off the cabin heater.
ICE cars have of residual ( wasted ) heat from the ICE and exhaust systems for sure.
On a longer trips in an ICE car, you are able to reduce the demand for heat from the heating system.
Not with an EV so much, you have to keep the heater working to maintain the cabin at a nice toasty temperature.
Makes sense when you think about it as for every £1 of petrol or diesel only 30 to 40 pence worth is making the car move. You are paying 60 to 70 pence for all that heat. :)

The heated seats are very fast and use way less energy than the main heating system. The inconvenient for me is that it's too hot, I usually turn them off once ambient in the car is comfortable enough

The heated seats are very fast and use way less energy than the main heating system. The inconvenient for me is that it's too hot, I usually turn them off once ambient in the car is comfortable enough
They would really benefit from a three stage heat setting, like on the VAG models have.

Yes, I was surprised that they did up the back of the car seat with heat..now I was thinking of getting a discharge lead and buying a electric blow heater to warm the car inside up..🤣🤣🤣🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom