• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

HELP MEEEEEE... please

gavlar123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a 71 plate zs ev with sunroof, 179 mile range.

I dropped it off at the dealers as the radio had frozen on talksport and I'd tried resetting it etc to no avail, so they're sorting it as a warranty issue.

I locked it, gave them the key, and flew out to Turkey for 3 weeks, which is where I am now.

Got a call yesterday from the dealer saying they can't open the car, they tried changing the fob battery, and for some reason, there's no blade inside the fob.

My spare key is at home in London, I'm in Turkey, and the dealer is saying I'll need to bring them the spare key.

I'm assuming that somehow, the 12v battery has died at some point in the past week, as everything was fine when I dropped it off to them... but without the blade, they're saying they can't open the bonnet to charge the battery and fix the car.

Is it in any way possible for them to open the bonnet without the key fob working, or a blade to manually open the door?

I would've thought running a blade to catch the release bar.

Thanks in advance

Simplest solution may just be to wait till you return (unless someone else can access your spare key?).

Very strange that you don’t have an emergency blade in the fob ???.
Can the dealer obtain a key code from MG and cut a spare blade ??.
Is it not possible for them to manually release the bonnet catch from the underside of the car, when it is up on a lift, by using something to substitute the bonnet pull cable ??.
Another question 🙋🏻‍♂️ would be, why has the 12 volt battery run that low on charge, in the first place ?.

I have no idea how a 12v battery can die in 5 days... never happened to me before. As for the blade, no idea either, it should be in there for sure, car is barely a year old and the second fob at home has never been used.

I've seen online that you can cut a new blade using data from the vin number, so this dealer is making less and less sense to me

I am assuming they are aware of your location and that you are unable to access the second blade ?.
A second blade can be cut from the spare when you get home, but that does not get you any further right now !.
What if the dealer could use a small booster pack to energise the 12 volt battery enough to allow the fob to open the car ?.
The negative terminal could be attached to any good earth point on the body shell, they just need to hack into the live lead on the 12 volt battery, then you can open the car from the fob ?.
If it was a facelift model and they applied a pack to the car, then you could have unlocked the car from the App ?.
Good luck 🤞.

I seem to remember that there is a charger that you can plug into the cigarette lighter socket. A few quid on eBay l will have a search

I seem to remember that there is a charger that you can plug into the cigarette lighter socket. A few quid on eBay l will have a search
Trouble is, on the ZS you need to have access to the socket in the car and the car needs to be switched on to bring the 12v sockets live, so no good if the battery is flat.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom