Home charger

Mickser

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi I live in Dublin and have a exclusive mg4 ordered,can someone recommend a home charger and company to supply and fit,thanks

If you‘ve already got solar/battery storage or are thinking to install it, then I recommend getting a MyEnergi Zappi. They can give an installation quote as well, though I’m not sure if this only applies to the UK or not: MyEnergi Zappi
No solar,looking for a Dublin company to supply and fit ,government grant of 600 euro as part payment, just wondering what other Dublin/Irish members went for regarding company's to install

Many people exclusively use the granny charger

Especially if only need to charge every week or so
Mg states granny is a emergency option, I work for a living so need car charged at a bit more pace

Mg states granny is a emergency option, I work for a living so need car charged at a bit more pace
I’m going to keep it 100% charged and it will only go down to 80% after a well or two

Maybe only charge once every two weeks

I only use a granny charger with 16 amps. Also overnight. The hottest spot was the cable above the socket. It got up to 16 degrees Celsius, which is nothing. Of course that doesn't mean everyone else is safe as well. 😅 But don't believe all the horror stories either. Just give it a good test run and be careful, like check the socket and cables for warmth the first few times.

I only use a granny charger with 16 amps. Also overnight. The hottest spot was the cable above the socket. It got up to 16 degrees Celsius, which is nothing. Of course that doesn't mean everyone else is safe as well. 😅 But don't believe all the horror stories either. Just give it a good test run and be careful, like check the socket and cables for warmth the first few times.

16amps? Thats with a blue industrial type 16a outlet?

Otherwise you are massively overloading the 13a plug and the 13a fuse inside it.

The reason that granny chargers are not recommended for regular charging is that many homes in the UK have substandard wiring which can lead to hot spots in the home wiring and ultimately failures and fires.

Surveys have shown that people have a pretty cavalier attitude to these things, e.g. significant number of people using unprotected extension leads outdoors with their granny chargers.

If your wiring is modern and up to scratch the risk is far less. Safest is to limit the charge rate in the car to 6A or 10A, which is the normal max rated continuous power for a 13A socket.

It is ultimately up to you but you should be aware that home chargers also include safety features to reduce the risk of electrocution in the case of a fault, which granny chargers do not have.

Hi I live in Dublin and have a exclusive mg4 ordered,can someone recommend a home charger and company to supply and fit,thanks
Getting back to the original question...

Ask your electricity supplier if they do instillations.
Ask any of your neighbours who have an EV charger who they used and would they recommend them.
Get a quote form the manufacturers.

Thanks so much yes they have to cover themselves but the truth is it’s absolutely fine to use granny charger most of the time just cheep checking it

16amps? Thats with a blue industrial type 16a outlet?

Otherwise you are massively overloading the 13a plug and the 13a fuse inside it.
It's a common, about 30 to 40 year old German socket in the garage. In Germany the fuse is 16 amps. Mine takes the beating, without getting hot. And I got a granny charger that reduces the amps if the socket gets hot and some other security features. 😎

Just because it is fine the first few times doesn't mean you won't get a problem - heat build up is often due to connection fatigue over time - and if you leave it overnight then it isn't monitored.

Check out examples like this:

Thanks so much yes they have to cover themselves but the truth is it’s absolutely fine to use granny charger most of the time just cheep checking it
I would not rely on a granny charger as my only charging option as said you need to make sure it's set to 6a or 10a max, you are really taking risks above that.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back