How long to wait for home charger installation for Mobility car?

johnnyallan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi to all members a da Happy New Year. I get my MG ZS EV next month with the home charger fitted, how long after getting the car how long do I have to wait for the charger to be installed, its a Motobility car, thanks in advance. Please let

Hi to all members a da Happy New Year. I get my MG ZS EV next month with the home charger fitted, how long after getting the car how long do I have to wait for the charger to be installed, its a Motobility car, thanks in advance. Please let
I suppose it will depend on who is supplying/ fitting and also on COVID restrictions

With motability you get the BP chargemaster . I filled my online forms in on the day i picked my zs up 17th Oct and they fitted the charger just before Xmas. But chargemaster said this was longer than normal .they also cancelled fitting twice within 24hrs notice .

With motability you get the BP chargemaster . I filled my online forms in on the day i picked my zs up 17th Oct and they fitted the charger just before Xmas. But chargemaster said this was longer than normal .they also cancelled fitting twice within 24hrs notice .
[/QUO
We started the application 2wks before collection for the govt grant but they wouldn't accept the lease contract until it was e-signed .they also lost some photos that i sent of the driveway etc and didn't let me know until i rang to see how it was progressing .basically keep in touch with them as they are very slow to keep you updated with any problems. Ps i find the chargemaster is very good and the fitters were brilliant .

Hi I got our car in Oct 20 and got the charger fitted in Nov 20 with a bit of pushing. The trouble is the unit they fit will not program for off peak charging so I have to get up in the night to plug the car in. If you are using the 3 pin plug that is supplied you can use a timer socket and program it for off peak.

Hi I got our car in Oct 20 and got the charger fitted in Nov 20 with a bit of pushing. The trouble is the unit they fit will not program for off peak charging so I have to get up in the night to plug the car in. If you are using the 3 pin plug that is supplied you can use a timer socket and program it for off peak.
Have a look around this site, unable to "timer" charge means you have an update missing.

Thankyou for your replies, it looks like I will have to purchase a Type2 lead first and use a local car park here in Mablethorpe, I am blessed with a wide choice, my mind is now at rest, THANKYOU ALL

Im going to mablethorpe in a few weeks .is it the one near the fire station

Thankyou for your replies, it looks like I will have to purchase a Type2 lead first and use a local car park here in Mablethorpe, I am blessed with a wide choice, my mind is now at rest, THANKYOU ALL
When I went to Mablethorpe in August, the chargers near the boating lake weren't powered up, the one in the car park on Seacroft road was ok.

Hi be carefull to get the right length cable as I got the wrong one the first time when they put the charger in I needed a longer cable. The longer cable cost me £175.

Is it near to the cinema end or the other end as we stay at haven and will be granny charging from caravan overnight ,but tescos sounds great

Have a look around this site, unable to "timer" charge means you have an update missing.
Timed charging requires a charger that can do it (zappi, ohme) and one of the first BMS updates done to the car, (which most cars have now). Chargemaster/pulse chargers are not compliant. A granny charger with a timer or (decent) smart plug will also work.

When the chargemaster/mobility have fitted the often dumb charger, you can buy an ohme type 2 lead which adds on timed/smart charging.

Timed charging requires a charger that can do it (zappi, ohme) and one of the first BMS updates done to the car, (which most cars have now). Chargemaster/pulse chargers are not compliant. A granny charger with a timer or (decent) smart plug will also work.

When the chargemaster/mobility have fitted the often dumb charger, you can buy an ohme type 2 lead which adds on timed/smart charging.
I rent houses so could end up moving anytime...

I was thinking of getting the ohme cable and getting a commando plug installed. What are people's thoughts on this?
Is the ohme cable 32Amp?

Although I don't have an octopus account, and am a high user, I don't think it will work out cheaper... (Currently 10.8p standing+ 12.9p KWH rate)
So not sure how going to source the cable at octopus price. Is it available anywhere else?

Last edited:
I rent houses so could end up moving anytime...

I was thinking of getting the ohme cable and getting a commando plug installed. What are people's thoughts on this?
Is the ohme cable 32Amp?

Although I don't have an octopus account, and am a high user, I don't think it will work out cheaper... (Currently 10.8p standing+ 12.9p KWH rate)
So not sure how going to source the cable at octopus price. Is it available anywhere else?
Those rates are not bad.

ohme cable with type 2 or commando plug are 32amp rated. They also do a granny lead....
Have a chat with the landlord over fitting either commando or even a dumb type 2 charger. It will help future residents who live there.
octopus hasn't got anything as close in rates to that, apart from Go's four hours (5p) but the other 20 hours is at 14.02p. Also standing fee is 25p per day. If you can shift your needs into the the cheap period, you can get the average below your current rate. Or you can play Agile roulette game, but this requires a lot of effort to get an average cost in single figures.
Other option is get an octopus customer to buy the lead, and buy it off them.

ohme cable with type 2 or commando plug are 32amp rated. They also do a granny lead....
Have a chat with the landlord over fitting either commando or even a dumb type 2 charger. It will help future residents who live there.
octopus hasn't got anything as close in rates to that, apart from Go's four hours (5p) but the other 20 hours is at 14.02p. Also standing fee is 25p per day. If you can shift your needs into the the cheap period, you can get the average below your current rate. Or you can play Agile roulette game, but this requires a lot of effort to get an average cost in single figures.
Other option is get an octopus customer to buy the lead, and buy it off them.
Thanks for you input.
It turns out my folks use octopus.

I wanted to get a type2 to type 2... so I can also use it at public chargers.

But I just realised for the commando power socket it is a separate lead with commando to type 2.

Is there a conversation adapter we can use or some other power socket ... Or will I have to get the second lead.

There’s no point in buying an Ohme type 2 to use at public chargers. They’re actually banned on PodPoint, anyway.

Get the Commando version for home and a standard type 2 cable for out and about.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom