Home Wallbox query

GaryMG4

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm currently trying to decide on whether and what home charger to go for.
I think it is probably worth the cost for the convenience it should give me in the winter, despite the 3-5 years payback period. I currently use granny/solar for most of my charging, in 2 months my 1800+ miles has cost 2.9p per mile, with most of the £50 spent on pricey public chargers that I've been trying purely to get an idea what I'll need for longer trips outside the range of my car.
The YouTube installers seem to recommend tethered, although I think they look untidy, what do real users prefer?
Octopus looks to be the best bet at present but should I go for Intelligent and hope that Ohme can sort out the solar integration or go for Go and a Zappi or similar?

You can have good aesthetics with a tethered box but you have to choose the right one as the majority are downright ugly. For me, the combination of hidden cabling and neat stowage provided by Hypervolt does the job. Have a look at THIS post :)

You can have good aesthetics with a tethered box but you have to choose the right one as the majority are downright ugly. For me, the combination of hidden cabling and neat stowage provided by Hypervolt does the job. Have a look at THIS post :)
Neat job, mine will be close to the meter box so cabling will be external.

I went with Octopus to install my OHME home pro and it was brilliant. I had 2 installers, both employed directly by Octopus, came in electric vans and did a neat job.

The charger is tethered and, to be honest, I don't even notice the charger at all now... it just part of the furniture now...

Neat job, mine will be close to the meter box so cabling will be external.
Just a thought 💭.
If the cable run is short from the meter cupboard, is it possible for the supply cable to make a rear entry directly into the back of the wall box ?.
At least this way, there will be no supply cable visible externally on the property which always makes for a much neater install / finished job IMO.

Just a thought 💭.
If the cable run is short from the meter cupboard, is it possible for the supply cable to make a rear entry directly into the back of the wall box ?.
At least this way, there will be no supply cable visible externally on the property which always makes for a much neater install / finished job IMO.
Sadly I don't think that's possible although I will discuss options with potential installers.

Just to add variety to the conversation here's my untethered Zappi. You hardly see it from the road because it's behind the drainpipe. I keep the cable hung up on one of the coat hooks in the hall so its handy.
I've put a roof over it just to give it some weather protection because that wall gets most of the sun, rain, snow. The solar panel on top is for the smart doorbell.

IMG_20230727_180221939_HDR.jpg

Yes another neat installation, no garage here but id go tethered if there was.
No garage here, new build huh, my tethered box is in the driveway. No issues so far going on 3 years. Only one of the local kids asked why I have a petrol pump on the side of the house :giggle:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom