How can one set default values for Mode and KERS?

Fluffykins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
As the 5 is "out of the box", it starts up in Normal Mode and KERS 2. I'd like the ability to set different power on defaults and have my car start up in Eco mode and KERS 3 (if it'll wear it, though I think KERS 2 might have to do as that covers all states of charge).

Surely you should be changing mode and kers level frequently depending on what's happening on your journey? If anything, I'd want more intuitive controls for changing the settings.

Surely you should be changing mode and kers level frequently depending on what's happening on your journey? If anything, I'd want more intuitive controls for changing the settings.
Voice control ;)

Is wasy to change, but would be far better to be able to set defaults, or at least remember last setting.

I found initially annoying because I assumed Kers 3 and eco mode more efficient but after driving it a few months and others explaining why its not, I find the default the perfect balance and its only if I'm doing some quick acceleration and stopping I use KERS 3. I never use KERS 1. Also to stop the brakes ceasing up I do sometimes make sure I brake.

I found initially annoying because I assumed Kers 3 and eco mode more efficient but after driving it a few months and others explaining why its not, I find the default the perfect balance and its only if I'm doing some quick acceleration and stopping I use KERS 3. I never use KERS 1. Also to stop the brakes ceasing up I do sometimes make sure I brake.
New 5 owner here, still in the “Eco+KERS3 must be most efficient” phase! Can you point me to any of this explanation about what’s most efficient please?

New 5 owner here, still in the “Eco+KERS3 must be most efficient” phase! Can you point me to any of this explanation about what’s most efficient please?
I can't remember which post it was sorry, Miles was also talking about it on one of the podcasts i think. I guess it all depends on how you drive. It's more efficient to accelerate slowly and cruise to traffic lights etc, so KERS 1 or 2 would do you best there. KERS 3 i guess is better for people who drove fast and don't like slowing down, the just floor it to the traffic lights and brake at the last minute.

Again ECO mode just enables you to maybe out your foot down a bit more without going into boost mode, but if you floor it in both eco or turbo you'll still use the same amount of energy, there is things like your steering and heating that also changes in ECO compared to Normal or turbo.

Again it's all about your drive style. Personally I don't think about it as I mostly drive short distances and it costs me £2 to fill from 0% to 100% at home. Only if I'm doing a long distance would I think about the economy.

@Pricey - the age old question !!

It appears many leave their cars in KERS 3. I find I like to switch to KERS 1 if I'm driving 20 miles+ on some open road.

Many also leave their cars in Normal mode. I tend to set mine in Eco, to help alleviate Range Anxiety. But as other have pointed out, the A/C isn't as efficient in Eco.

My advice - try out the settings and see which settings you're most content!

@Pricey - the age old question !!

It appears many leave their cars in KERS 3. I find I like to switch to KERS 1 if I'm driving 20 miles+ on some open road.

Many also leave their cars in Normal mode. I tend to set mine in Eco, to help alleviate Range Anxiety. But as other have pointed out, the A/C isn't as efficient in Eco.

My advice - try out the settings and see which settings you're most content!
A/c isn't as efficient or as effective?

Effective - in that it operates at a reduced rate and pushes out less air.
Efficient - it offers more mileage e.g 10% more range, but is less efficient at clearing the windows etc.

Top Tip I saw ages ago on a thread - set air intake to outside feed and open the sunroof on tilt and that slight airflow is often enough to keep you comfortable and clear the window from misting.

Effective - in that it operates at a reduced rate and pushes out less air.
Efficient - it offers more mileage e.g 10% more range, but is less efficient at clearing the windows etc.

Top Tip I saw ages ago on a thread - set air intake to outside feed and open the sunroof on tilt and that slight airflow is often enough to keep you comfortable and clear the window from misting.
Driving home from dealer on a wet M62 last week the windscreen kept steaming up. Only when I later read the manual did I realise I was turning the heated rear window on rather than the fans for windscreen 🤦🏻‍♂️

Driving home from dealer on a wet M62 last week the windscreen kept steaming up. Only when I later read the manual did I realise I was turning the heated rear window on rather than the fans for windscreen 🤦🏻‍♂️
1622039207159.png

I can't remember which post it was sorry, Miles was also talking about it on one of the podcasts i think. I guess it all depends on how you drive. It's more efficient to accelerate slowly and cruise to traffic lights etc, so KERS 1 or 2 would do you best there. KERS 3 i guess is better for people who drove fast and don't like slowing down, the just floor it to the traffic lights and brake at the last minute.

Again ECO mode just enables you to maybe out your foot down a bit more without going into boost mode, but if you floor it in both eco or turbo you'll still use the same amount of energy, there is things like your steering and heating that also changes in ECO compared to Normal or turbo.

Again it's all about your drive style. Personally I don't think about it as I mostly drive short distances and it costs me £2 to fill from 0% to 100% at home. Only if I'm doing a long distance would I think about the economy.
That's helpful, thanks. Especially the difference Eco makes. On my own in the car round town I'm loving Sport mode but, as Dave S said, for longer journeys range anxiety will mean I have it in Eco. I can definitely see how depending on the journey I'm doing I'd want KERS on different settings. I'm very unlikely to want it on KERS3 on the motorway!

And the tiny cost of electricity means for general use I'm totally with you in not really caring 👍🏻

This is all very useful information. I cannot see me using Sports mode with Mrs C in the car but when I am on my own.......

Currently when I get into my current automatic ZS I just select Drive and off I go. I am looking forward to having more input with the new car.

None of the KERS modes are 'more efficient', it just changes how much you decelerate when you take your foot off the accelerator. I find it easier to maintain a constant speed in KERS 1 whereas KERS 3 is ideal for slowing for a junction or roundabout. KERS 2 is good for winding B roads. I frequently change between them as required.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom