How do I know its charging on the granny charger - just says connecting.. :( SOLVED! :)

Mach13

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Goy my MG HS PHEV PLUGIN HYBRID today... got it home and tried the granny charger as I don't have type 2 install yet.

Problem
It doesn't seem to be charging on the granny charger :cry:
The charger is plugged into a mains socket in the garage
The charger handle is locked in
EDIT :The car is locked (i can hear it whir)
light on the dash shows the car charger attached, amount of battery (76%) and a spinning circle that reads 'Connecting'
EDIT: I'm not using any powerline adapters (I seen this can cause issues on another forum)
The 'charge' light on the charger is flashing green
after a few moment the light on the dash goes out..

I've left it on charge like for a hour with no result whatsoever.. 🤷‍♂️

i've even tested it on my neighbours garage (he's a kind and helpful soul) - But it just does the same ☹️

Any ideas folks?

Last edited:
When you have pluged in the car and got the cornecting then lock the car. It will change to charging with lines then these will turn to give you a charge time it will take to charge the car.

read you use manual book and it explains in there

Last edited:
When you have pluged in the car and got the cornecting then lock the car. It will change to charging with lines then these will turn to give you a charge time it will take to charge the car.

read you use manual book and it explains in there
Thanks Jto...

Just tried that... still the same just sits their connecting...

also... ( as seen this elsewhere on another forum) I don't have any powerline adapters running..

See pic

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_192624404~2.jpg
    IMG_20210820_192624404~2.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 215
Can you hear the plug locking in the socket? Check that its pushed home and hear the plug locking. some time it can take two or three attempts to lock.
some times I found on public charge plugs need hold the plug square on then when it locks lock the car Then let go of the charge plug, but I have not had to do that with the home charger.

can also suggest you start from the beginning by unplugging the charger from the wall for a minute then plug it back in then the plug in to the car wait for the locking sound then when that has done lock the car watch the screen for it to say charging then it will how long it will take.

Last edited:
If it saw the charger plugged in , then the lead out the back of the car on the picture you sent , would show bluey green.
Just to make sure , you are not using an extension lead ( is this what you meant by power adapter?)

Can you hear the plug locking in the socket? Check that its pushed home and hear the plug locking. some time it can take two or three attempts to lock.
some times I found on public charge plugs need hold the plug square on then when it locks lock the car Then let go of the charge plug, but I have not had to do that with the home charger.

can also suggest you start from the beginning by unplugging the charger from the wall for a minute then plug it back in then the plug in to the car wait for the locking sound then when that has done lock the car watch the screen for it to say charging then it will how long it will take.
Thanks again...
Yes I hear the locking sound and the charger handle is defo locked in

Did try starting the process from scratch but after locking it still just sticks on connecting

just a few cents from me,...

1) make sure the charger is plugged in deep enough,.. otherwise the screen "connecting" will keep showing and you will keep hearing the "BRRRRR" sound .
(that sound is the car trying to lock the cable to prevent Karen's from janking it out)
2)Once you have a connection,.. it will give you the charging time where the "connecting" text first was.

3) My EHS , does NOT need to be closed to charge,... it charges with the door unlocked (not open)

4) If i leave the car unlocked in my garage for like,.. 3-4 hourse ( a long time) and i go into the garage without my key and i plug the car in ,.. it will still take a charge.

Just saying.

just a few cents from me,...

1) make sure the charger is plugged in deep enough,.. otherwise the screen "connecting" will keep showing and you will keep hearing the "BRRRRR" sound .
(that sound is the car trying to lock the cable to prevent Karen's from janking it out)
2)Once you have a connection,.. it will give you the charging time where the "connecting" text first was.

3) My EHS , does NOT need to be closed to charge,... it charges with the door unlocked (not open)

4) If i leave the car unlocked in my garage for like,.. 3-4 hourse ( a long time) and i go into the garage without my key and i plug the car in ,.. it will still take a charge.

Just saying.
Hi
are your sure its a PHEV plug in Hybrid HS. UK market i need to lock car before it will charge.

If it saw the charger plugged in , then the lead out the back of the car on the picture you sent , would show bluey green.
Just to make sure , you are not using an extension lead ( is this what you meant by power adapter?)
Thanks Jem111111... No im not using an extension lead.. by powerline adapter i mean a computer networking system that runs through the plug socket

Goy my MG HS PHEV PLUGIN HYBRID today... got it home and tried the granny charger as I don't have type 2 install yet.

Problem
It doesn't seem to be charging on the granny charger :cry:
The charger is plugged into a mains socket in the garage
The charger handle is locked in
EDIT :The car is locked (i can hear it whir)
light on the dash shows the car charger attached, amount of battery (76%) and a spinning circle that reads 'Connecting'
EDIT: I'm not using any powerline adapters (I seen this can cause issues on another forum)
The 'charge' light on the charger is flashing green
after a few moment the light on the dash goes out..

I've left it on charge like for a hour with no result whatsoever.. 🤷‍♂️

i've even tested it on my neighbours garage (he's a kind and helpful soul) - But it just does the same ☹️

Any ideas folks?
If you go back to the garage today let me know how you get on. There was one thing I remember reading if the earth is not good on any part of the home system it will not start charging, but you tried it next door so I many be not that.

Mine locks and charges immediately even without locking the car, but the charger must be powered on before inserting the charge connector, if i turn it on after connecting it takes no charge

Interesting, I’m pretty sure with UK PHEV that you need to lock the car in order for the charge to be accepted. If left unlock the charge socket wouldn’t lock and it just says connecting. If I unlock the car will also unlock the charge socket and the car will stop charging.

I was trying to do an experiment whether I can sit inside the car and lock the doors from inside if the car will still charge, I didn’t finish the experiment as I got called away.

I know some of the ZS are like that - so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom