How do you stop the charge?

Abaker Mk2

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have the Mk2 Facelift.
I'd like to find out all the different methods we use to stop and unlock the charger plug.

I use podpoint mostly and it doesn't have a way to stop the charge on the app so I unlock the car, switch on the ignition, go into the battery screen using the battery button next to kers and press the padlock button which stops the charge and unlocks the charger plug.

I feel there may be a quicker way!

Over to you community!

I thought you could just lock and unlock the car until you hear the type2 cable lock release?

Doesn't sound like a great way of doing it, they should have programmed in a long press on the unlock button of the key or added a dedicated charger unlock button on the key.

How many times are do we have to toggle the lock/unlock before the charger releases?

Doesn't sound like a great way of doing it, they should have programmed in a long press on the unlock button of the key or added a dedicated charger unlock button on the key.

How many times are do we have to toggle the lock/unlock before the charger releases?
Don't know about the Gen2, but Gen1 and MG5 just requires 1 unlock. You don't need to lock if already unlocked, just press unlock (does what it says ion the tin), the act of unlocking the car/doors also unlocks the charge port.

I am not 100% sure, but I don’t think you can stop the charge from a A/C wall box, any other way on the Gen2 models.
But, I believe there is a software update that when applied, does pause the charge when charging, if the unlock is used on the fob.
I think @Merry has has this done on his car and maybe able to confirm / reject this ?.
Gen 1 models will perform this function.
Some will A/C charge with the doors locked or unlocked, some only with the doors locked.
Again - A software update is needed to charge with the doors open.

As long that the ZS facelift has the latest firmware, when you unlock the doors, it pauses the AC charge for a couple of minutes and unlocks the charge port. If left untouched, it reverts to charging

This only works on AC not DC

I picked up my LRTC about 3 weeks ago. I did a free charge whilst shopping at Costco 2 weeks ago. You have to get one of the staff to activate it before commencing the charge. To finish the charge I just pressed 'stop charging' on the MG phone app. This did stop the charging and I was able to remove the charger from the cars charger socket. Then when I tried to remove it from the charger point ( you need to use your own cable) I was unable to do so. I had to ring the help number on the charger point and they were able to remotely release it. Does anybody know if you have to get the staff member to come back and do something to turn it off so you can unplug the cable?

As long that the ZS facelift has the latest firmware, when you unlock the doors, it pauses the AC charge for a couple of minutes and unlocks the charge port. If left untouched, it reverts to charging

This only works on AC not DC
Yep so just press unlock, same as Gen1 and 5. :)

I picked up my LRTC about 3 weeks ago. I did a free charge whilst shopping at Costco 2 weeks ago. You have to get one of the staff to activate it before commencing the charge. To finish the charge I just pressed 'stop charging' on the MG phone app. This did stop the charging and I was able to remove the charger from the cars charger socket. Then when I tried to remove it from the charger point ( you need to use your own cable) I was unable to do so. I had to ring the help number on the charger point and they were able to remotely release it. Does anybody know if you have to get the staff member to come back and do something to turn it off so you can unplug the cable?
I had the same experience at another location where you have to get security to activate it and unlock after. A right PITA, not used it since.

Just unlock car and pull out on AC easy
I am assuming your Gen2 has received the update then @N2STY either on it's PDI or latter date ?.
My Gen 2 will not release the tethered cable from my wall box, if I just press unlock the car with the fob, when it is charging at home at least.
I have to enter the charge, boot up and stop it in the info unit.
Only tried it once, because I never charge in the day due to the high price !.
Not tried stopping it from the App to be honest as 100% of my charging needs are carried out from home.
Our delayed charge is set up ( in the head unit ) to commence at 1.05am and finish at 5.45am which is the end of our 5 hour cheap rate window with EDF.
I plug in the car in the early evening and mainly charge up to 80% SOC.
It will either stop charging just before the cheap off peak tariff end's, or if it hit's 80% SOC.
Which ever comes first really.
If I was charging in the day time, having to be jumping in the car to stop the charge, then back out to return the cable to the wall box, then back into the car could become a bit of a PIA :rolleyes:.

Can we compare update version numbers? Where can they be found?
Would be happy to but is there a way to find it all I know if you have the update the cable can be released when you unlock car If you don't remove it will lock cable in and start charging again

@Miles from Chorley MG posted the following information around 4 months ago. I kept a copy but no idea which thread and what date.
The update required is AS - 22- 025. This is an after sales update for specific ECU's.
The ECU's listed are VCU EV CCU BMS and TC

@Miles from Chorley MG posted the following information around 4 months ago. I kept a copy but no idea which thread and what date.
The update required is AS - 22- 025. This is an after sales update for specific ECU's.
The ECU's listed are VCU EV CCU BMS and TC

I think that when it was really investigated, AS - 22- 025 was a service bulletin that basically said that dealers MUST check for any available updates on PDI and routine service. I don't think that we ever knew the actual firmware revision for this fix

The actual number is a bit irrelevant, by following N2STY's advice, put it on charge on AC, lock doors, if it has the update, when you unlock the doors, charging will be suspended, allowing the plug to be removed, if nothing is touched, it will resume charging

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom