How satisfied are you with your MG EV?

How satisfied are you with your MG EV?

• Slightly dissatisfied, needed dealer help, not really happy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
FWIW, I owned a gen 1 ZS EV for a couple of years, then the facelift came out. On the face of it, seemed reasonably worthwhile, but could have easily stayed with the gen 1 for another couple of years. But then here in Australia some new rebates came out: $3k back from MG, them another $6k from the government. The $9k was pretty attractive.

In any case, the short end of the story is that the gen2 2022 ZS EV short range has certainly surpassed my expectations: surprisingly so much more refined, I think they nailed it for the price or otherwise; a had a good look at the Atto 3 (dreadful interior, dodgy & unnecessarily complex warranty); Tesla, nah - knees around my head in the M3, the MY far too large & with poor suspension…; Volvo far too pricey & dubious range.

While the gen 1 was certainly fun to drive & could easily fishtail away like a startled water dragon, the gen 2’s steering, suspension, handling & sound proofing all add up to a much more refined car. Then there’s and improved sound system, great infotainment & maps, more comfortable seating, and aircon for the rear seats. The dive modes have been nicely tuned over the gen 1. And LFP battery chemistry with a little more range & seemingly better economy. Zero technical issues, 7 year warranty, what’s not to like?

Well: no power tail gate, who cares? No frunk, LFA is waste of time, but the Cruise Control auto distance keeping is brilliant. I have no interest in MG Pilot. I also notice many common issues come up on far more expensive EVs than this one. Great car. I suspect one recommendation would be to try to ensure you have the best MG service centre possible, mine have been excellent, knowledgeable & responsive (although another was truly useless in the past). All EVs should come with a space saver or as an option, but no one does except for Audi & Jag I believe.
Thank you so much profdraper, nailed it for me. 👍

Can I ask: How satisfied are you with your MG EV?

Having read so many negative comments about cars from MG I’m now revisiting my planned purchase.
Satisfied MG 5 LR ?
Niggles = poor headlights, Fix put in stronger bulbs!. Sweaty seats, Fix seat covers!. Seat base too short, Fix extension pad £16!
Would I have bought MG 5 if not an EV, Probably not!
But owning, running, driving, MG 5 LR Absolutely bloody marvellous!
MG EVs probably as good as any other make, but CHEAPER;)

Space saver was an option for the mg5, as the Roewe petrol vehicle it's based on has a wheel well. The MSP they're building new EVs on though doesn't have a wheel well so I can see it not being available at all in the future. I drive 18-19k a year and wouldn't dream of relying on a can of spray sealant.

I use to drive 30k or so a year for work and relied on a can of sealant for at least the last 5 or so of those years. But then I never needed to use it, as I didn’t have a puncher. Mostly down to good tyre management by my company’s vehicle leasing company and regular driver the inspections.

Yes I get that, thanks. Not really the same as trip advisor for me, but I do get your point, one nights stay in a hotel £250, on car purchase £35,000 do one should be far more critical.
But so many problems seem to be down to poor manufacturing/quality control. Forums are also a place for positive comments as I have seen here, but it would be nice to see from the webmaster if positives out weigh the negatives. Thanks again.
So what are you after DBed? Qualification to buy one? Then blame others when it may go wrong? ….or genuine advice, for you to make your own opinion?

members on here post there personal foibles , warts N’All….

I think the main customer experience is…….the car is cheap…..the car is good …..the car represents value for money….the car is a bit bolllox at being a Teslsa……the car is rubbish with China updates ( i must agree with this)……..the car is fantastic to drive!!!! …….the car is worth the price paid 100 percent !!

Owning an MG4 since Launch in September, (MG4 Tango Trophy) this car has changed my perception of an EV. Absolutely love it!!!!

pay your money “DBed” make your choice! Otherwise sit back on the side lines and watch 👍

So what are you after DBed? Qualification to buy one? Then blame others when it may go wrong? ….or genuine advice, for you to make your own opinion?
I just thought it would be of interest asking for other view point. Sorry you have such a cynical view of life that I would blame others, but I was looking to get a overview which having joined the forum a few months back I don’t get with the mass of complaints and suggestions to reject the car.
members on here post there personal foibles , warts N’All…
We are all human 😀
I think the main customer experience is…….the car is cheap…..the car is good …..the car represents value for money….the car is a bit bolllox at being a Teslsa……the car is rubbish with China updates ( i must agree with this)……..the car is fantastic to drive!!!! …….the car is worth the price paid 100 percent !! 👍
Owning an MG4 since Launch in September, (MG4 Tango Trophy) this car has changed my perception of an EV. Absolutely love it!!!!

pay your money “DBed” make your choice! Otherwise sit back on the side lines and watch 👍 I shall be paying my money in a couple of weeks. Thank you Harry.
David Bedford. 😀

Last edited:
Rejected mine after 6 months of constant hassle, first car I’ve rejected in 39 years driving and scores of cars (I change often).
Won’t ever go near an MG again under any circumstances.

MG EVs probably as good as any other make, but CHEAPER;)

Well if you truly believe this, you’ll always be happy. ✅
Like the guy at my work who’s convinced his supermarket TV is as good as any other.
Objectively it’s absolutely incorrect, but subjectively if he (and you) are happy then crack on. 🤙

Why did you reject it please?

It was a 4 SE SR
Multiple problems common to many of them.
I had a more serious problem that whilst not common, is being seen on other cars too.
That being restricted speed at any state of charge (the car just stopped accelerating at anything between 58mph and 74mph for no apparent reason)
Downright dangerous, that was the final straw.

Why did you reject it please?

Get coffee and snacks, and settle down to read the entire saga.

Get coffee and snacks, and settle down to read the entire saga.

Popcorn time as Bjorn would say. :)

Having owned my 5 for 18 months and covered around 12,000 miles now, I have to say I am more than happy with it. I love the acceleration and it corners more than adequately too, I guess helped by the low CoG. It's quiet, reasonably refined and frankly, an excellent runabout. I have never charged at a public charger, only on my 13amp socket in the garage, this is something I gave a lot of thought to before buying. If I needed a car for long distance motoring I would not have bought an EV, certainly nothing with less than 350 mile range, but my motoring is never more than a 150 mile return journey. I am lucky enough to be able to afford a real ie Diesel, car for long runs and touring. In future the whole EV scene could change - there is talk of fuel cells, different batteries and maybe even a complete ban on personal transport by the government of the day. Who knows?

I can live with the abominable satnav system and I always turn on the radio first thing, in any car I drive, so the fact that it won't turn off, doesn't bother me.

Bought MG5 LR 2021 recently, very pleased with it so far.
1. Range even on motorways is good, if you drive 60-65mph, approx 245 miles
2. Round town even better, up to 280 miles
3. Car drives well, smooth, fast and is simple to use with Android Auto.
4. Ohme charger works seamlessly, and gives charge less than 3p a mile
5. Public charging usually charges no problem - tried BP pulse, Osprey, Gridserve, Podpoint. Only failure was Podpoint at Tescos, came up with an error on the machine

Niggles:
1. NO APP! A bit annoying that you can't check state of charge
2. Leather seats get very hot in the sun
3. Public charging is expensive, but 90% of my charging is at home.

So far I would recommend the car to anyone

Bought MG5 LR 2021 recently, very pleased with it so far.
1. Range even on motorways is good, if you drive 60-65mph, approx 245 miles
2. Round town even better, up to 280 miles
3. Car drives well, smooth, fast and is simple to use with Android Auto.
4. Ohme charger works seamlessly, and gives charge less than 3p a mile
5. Public charging usually charges no problem - tried BP pulse, Osprey, Gridserve, Podpoint. Only failure was Podpoint at Tescos, came up with an error on the machine

Niggles:
1. NO APP! A bit annoying that you can't check state of charge
2. Leather seats get very hot in the sun
3. Public charging is expensive, but 90% of my charging is at home.

So far I would recommend the car to anyone

Highly recommend getting the windows tinted. Side and rear glass is 100% clear so get the front sides done too. I've survived the past couple of weeks with minimal heat in the car and usable seats.

Getting towards two years and all in all pretty pleased with the MG5 - no major hassles. Does everything I want it to, copes admirably with driving in these parts and, best of all, it isn't a Skoda and the dealer isn't Arnold Clark. Which are great plus points for any car.

Rejected mine after 6 months of constant hassle, first car I’ve rejected in 39 years driving and scores of cars (I change often).
Won’t ever go near an MG again under any circumstances.

Well if you truly believe this, you’ll always be happy. ✅
Like the guy at my work who’s convinced his supermarket TV is as good as any other.
Objectively it’s absolutely incorrect, but subjectively if he (and you) are happy then crack on. 🤙
Currently cracking on with SONY BRAVIA { Brilliant } MG5 LR { Brilliant }(y) ;)

Currently cracking on with SONY BRAVIA { Brilliant } MG5 LR { Brilliant }(y) ;)
It comes down to affordability, you (me included) will never get the quality we want at the price you’re willing to pay, or can afford in my case.
We shall see how it goes from this coming Wednesday 👍

Last edited:
MG ZS EV Trophy Long Range. Got it 3 months ago. Done 5.5k miles in this time.
Voted for the second option due to:

- Intermittent fault with passenger doors not opening from inside. When I got the car would happen roughly 50% of the time. Improved with time. Rarely happens at all now. Finally got seen by the garage couple of weeks ago (had to rearrange the appointment a few times, both mine and their fault). They will be replacing the door latch. Awaiting part.

- DAB radio randomly stops working... Info unit reset (long press home button) resolves it.

- Sky roof developed squeaky noise a few weeks ago. Planning to fix it with lithium grease over the weekend.

Generally very happy with the car. Quite a difference coming from 15+ years petrol car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom