How to get the best Economy on a decent drive.

SteveV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
About to do a drive of about 110 miles, I will start the journey with the vehicle fully charged and a full tank of fuel, what's the best settings to apply to the vehicle so I get the best economy figures mpg.

Now sold my Phev, but I found save the Electric for last 30 miles. Some people say us the Electric on town\slow roads and petrol on motorway etc, however I found if you run the electric down too early, the car will use some energy charging the battery.

I leave it to the car to sort out. All the conventional methods still work - check tyre pressure, don't carry unnecessary weight, avoid harsh acceleration, don't thrash it.

I leave it to the car to sort out. All the conventional methods still work - check tyre pressure, don't carry unnecessary weight, avoid harsh acceleration, don't thrash it.
I tried those, but when I left the missus at the side of the road, then drove home just fast enough that she couldn't reach the door handle, she said that wasn't what they meant.

Hi Steve a good question with many different answers from different people ( none of them wrong) and its up to you to decide.
Below are my thoughts only ( i tend to work out the route and approx speeds so I know when to manually change between EV and hybrid modes , others may not as it may be seen as a faff lol ) .
There are various factors that play apart in your answer.
In theory you could get between 30 - 40 miles range in EV mode ,(so that would reduce the use of the ICE to only between 70-80 miles) but this can vary depending on temperature, speed and wind conditions.
The faster you go in EV mode or the colder it is, or if you travelling against a headwind will all mean the less range you will get in EV mode.
110 miles , is it all motorway ( 70mph) , if yes i personally would just leave it in hybrid .
If its approx 80 miles motorway and 30 odd miles none motorway then i would manually switch between EV mode on the none motorway times and switch to hybrid on the motorway times.
This is because using the EV only mode at lower speeds will get you more miles . so the less in ICE.
When i have done about the same mileage I got approx 40mpg in ICE so in this case it will be approx 2 gallons of petrol plus the cost of a full charge .
So in theory it could come to approx 50+ mpg , you will need to decide if thats good for a car that has the aerodynamic features of a brick lol.
Personally i know going long distances is not really going to give good mpg in this car , but i make up for it as a lot of my journeys during the year are less than 30 miles per day , so i can go weeks without using the ICE,

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom