How to use the tyre repair kit supplied with MG cars plus other makes

When the once use only cannister is used up , I believe MG want around 25 quid for a replacement!!!! There are others available which should fit from Amazon from around 10 quid. Whilst on there, look at rubberised tyre screws which once you have located the hole , screw in with a Philips screwdriver and self seal ,can be used with a rubber cement also. Inflate with the pump and you should be good to go.

I carry a large tin of Holts Tyre Weld in my car, it has similar properties as the OEM supplied canister, but with a few differences.
The Holts Tyre Weld CAN be washed out of the wheel and tyre, at a later date.
Many of the OEM type tyre gunks, are not easily cleaned and removed from the wheel or tyre after their use.
The OEM canister has an expiry / use by date and the OEM replacement canisters can be expensive.
A price to replace our OEM canister on our 3 year old Golf, was £85.00 and that was about five years ago !.
In contrast, the Holts product is far less expensive.

A full size spare is the ultimate fail safe, but
even space saver is a better option than any of the “gunk” in a canister, or a tins in my opinion.
They all have limited use of course, if the hole / split in the tyre is too large, or the fault is in the side wall, then the “gunk” is totally useless TBH.
I once read that one of the rescue service refused to attend somebody who had a puncture, because he did not have a spare wheel to inter change !.

Best method to fix MG tyres that have a punture is to use your mobile phone. Call the AA.. Don't be pissing about on the road trying to figure out and fix what is probably unfixable with gunk, you are likely on the fast track to A & E.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom