• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

HS PHEV condensation

ColinB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have another car and a motorbike in my garage so my MG is parked on my drive. With the colder weather we have had recently I really miss having a heated windscreen to clear the ice/ frost. I hope that this is something MG might offer on future models. But a bigger problem has been very heavy condensation in the car in the mornings. Assuming other members on this forum are also experiencing it, why is it so excessive on this model of car and whats the best way to limit it?

Most important is that you always set the HVAC to fresh air intake, and not the auto setting, the icon show the cabin with an 'a' inside. When it's 'a' it's almost always on recirkulation, and that makes for heavy condensation.

I had my sunroof cover closed and when I opened it to day there was a lot of condensation on the inside of the sunroof. I am going to leave this open from now on.

I find this on my MG5 from time to time so I doubt it's unique to the HS.
I suspect that the cabin isn't allowed to breathe when it's locked.

There is a few posts on this subject, might be worth a quick search on the forum, I use some absorption bags and so does a few other on the forum, there are a few differant types on amazon/ ebay etc.
Might help?

After i got in the habit of manual setting it to fresh air intake every time i get in, the problem disappeared after a few days.

This is what happens when getting in the car first thing on a cold morning. It takes a good 5-10mins for the screen to clear enough to drive off.

Attachments

• F3F027BC-A078-4B20-8BCF-7C6D9F6E7A6D.jpeg
    F3F027BC-A078-4B20-8BCF-7C6D9F6E7A6D.jpeg
    707.9 KB · Views: 197
Still prefer my 1kw fan heater, not sure if its more expensive or cheaper than fuel but no frosty glass no condensation and a warm cabin from the word go.

This is what happens when getting in the car first thing on a cold morning. It takes a good 5-10mins for the screen to clear enough to drive off.
If that's on the inside of the glass it's way worse than anything I've experienced :eek:

If that's on the inside of the glass it's way worse than anything I've experienced :eek:

That was inside of the windscreen on Tuesday morning. Water droplet running down the inside of the screen.

This was the night before.

Attachments

• 74BFD314-7212-4B92-AFAE-59D06A2AA26D.jpeg
    74BFD314-7212-4B92-AFAE-59D06A2AA26D.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 237
Still prefer my 1kw fan heater, not sure if its more expensive or cheaper than fuel but no frosty glass no condensation and a warm cabin from the word go.
Hi so you run a cable in and run a 1kw fan heater. I suppose the ones running from the lighter socket at 150w or so are useless?

That was inside of the windscreen on Tuesday morning. Water droplet running down the inside of the screen.

At that level I'd be looking for water penetration into the car.
Have you checked under the carpets for any signs of dampness?
Better still, refer it to your dealer because there is no way that is normal.

I’m afraid that is normal and was the same in my MG ZS petrol ZS EV and now myHS phev. Aircon requires engine on and 5 mins on demist before I jump in in the mornings. I have 1kg gel gag on the dash overnight which does nothing really. I’m going to check out @JABO idea to see if it helps.

Hi so you run a cable in and run a 1kw fan heater. I suppose the ones running from the lighter socket at 150w or so are useless?
I run a lead from the garage, set the timer if I know what time I need to go out or just switch it on for about 10 mins, longer if heavy frost. Never tried a 12v heater so cannot comment on that, sorry. I dare say they are available on Amazon so might be worth having a look and seeing what user comments say about them.

Hi Sky. Look like the glass in my shower after a shower!

Off topic but noticed you have a dash cam, 522CW? I will get a dash cam for mine when it arrives but is it hard wired? (I cannot see the wire as it is probably black on black) and if so the cable run?

It would be interesting if you measured the humidity level inside your car. You can buy electronic gauges (including ones that can be read remotely) quite cheaply.

How is your air circulation set? Put mine to recycle internal air on the assumption it would lead to the interior warning up quicker, but got lots of condensation. Put it back to Auto, found it to be much better.

My MG5 LR is also parked on the drive all night, every night, and I have never noticed an undue condensation on the interior. EVs do attract a lot of water droplets on the exterior due to Electrostatic Condensation - a well-known physical occurrence used in desalination plants in money rich Arab states! Incidentally I was going to write a post about this phenomenon a while ago but I’m basically too lazy or busy doing other things! Excessive condensation on the inside of your car is worrying and needs to be investigated further.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom