HS Plug-in stuck in park gear.

SusanT

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi, not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but I've has my plug-in for 8 mths and twice it has stuck in park gear. The car is running but refuses to go into drive or reverse. It also will not turn off?? It takes what seems like ages to sort itself out. Anyone had experience with this or can give an explanation? It's very frustrating and could be quite dangerous. Thanks.

Hi Susan , i think the lack of replies indicates this has not been seen before. I have had the car 18 months and not experienced this.

I have EHS 2 , if my car does this once, I would document it.....make a video/photos, and back to the dealer it is.

Maybe do a hard reset by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery in the boot trunk for 10 minutes ?

On occasion the car refuses to move because I haven't got my seat belt on, and either I need buckle in, or manually release the parking brake.

On occasion the car refuses to move because I haven't got my seat belt on, and either I need buckle in, or manually release the parking brake.
I have noticed this has nothing to do with the seat belt..... I always drive off with my seatbelt unbuckled, and sometimes my car refuses to release the handbrake when being set in reverse or drive.... But that's user error, you (and me) are too fast.
Slow down your actions and it will release the hand brake like normal.🙂

I have noticed this has nothing to do with the seat belt..... I always drive off with my seatbelt unbuckled, and sometimes my car refuses to release the handbrake when being set in reverse or drive.... But that's user error, you (and me) are too fast.
Slow down your actions and it will release the hand brake like normal.🙂
This is a common problem also on the ZS EV model.
If you rush the car and try to select a drive function too early, the car will respond with required request by the driver.
The car does not like to be rushed !.

Lol, just happened to me ... system was not ready yet. Ofcourse, I started the car and did not apply the brake... stupid car :D

Listen very carefully to this car, when you get in and press the ignition button while holding the brake pedal, be very quiet and you will hear 3 muffled clicks in the backseat. I think those are 3 seperate mechanical connections being made to the battery, if you don't press the brake pedal u do not hear those 3 muffled clicks, the car is NOT ready to go then because the connection to the high voltage battery has not been made. But once you hear the three clicks, technically the car is ready to go , even tho the software or radio or dashboard are not yet initiated. Just a quick tip

Agree with battery connection issue. I have had this fault and it actually gave a message saying HV battery not connected
Just turned it all off waited a short while and restarted slowly and all was good.

Press P for park then select drive gear forward or reverse.
That has worked for me when brake apparently stuck on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have experienced the exact same problem twice, first time about eight months ago, and now just an hour ago. Both times when stopping in a parking lot, putting the car in neutral to let a passenger in, and then failing to get it in gear again, all buttons and screen unresponsive, engine running and effectively blocking other cars from passing. Quite effectively raising the stress level of the driver as well, I might add.

I managed to get hold of a MG car mechanic via phone the first time and was told that the only solution was to reboot the motor ECU, by pressing the start/stop button for 60(!) seconds. Worked both times.

Apparently this is a known issue, but lacks a firmware fix. I had the car back at the dealer’s after the first occurrence and the only update they provided me with was for the DAB- radio. Not impressed.

I find this car disappointingly unreliable. I have had all screens go black twice while driving, automatic high beam lights turning on at random, as well as the radio deciding to blast full volume also at random, and car play dropping its connection frequently (different phones and cables tested).

And don’t get me started with the fuel economy. At highway speeds I rarely go below 8.0 l/100km, quite far from the 2.0 advertised. When asking my dealer I was informed that the number was calculated on a flat surface, at 20C, and at an average speed below 49 km/h, effectively meaning running in EV mode most of the time. I should have read the fine print…

Thankfully I’m on a lease contract and will not be stuck with it forever.

You may also get a screen Message saying 'Please Unlock Steering' caused by a front wheel hard against, say, a kerb. It does clear itself after typically an hour or so. Otherwise try the 'Hard Reset' approach.

Just had a similar issue on the way to the airport this morning (When else would things go so wrong!) I was parked on a fairly steep driveway. When I pressed the starter button, everything seemed fine, system started up. But when I tried to go into reverse... nothing. The handbrake came off ok, but I could only get into N. Then the hand brake wouldn't go back on and the motor (I was in EV mode) wouldn't turn off! The screen showed a "Steering Wheel" error, but I couldn't move it either. My passenger opened his door to exit and everything instantly blacked out. The steering wheel self-centered and the system shut down. On restarting everything was back to normal. Frightening, especially on a slope with no handbrake and the system still running! Opening the door obviously did the trick, but why did proper start up not operate in the first place?

Hi, not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but I've has my plug-in for 8 mths and twice it has stuck in park gear. The car is running but refuses to go into drive or reverse. It also will not turn off?? It takes what seems like ages to sort itself out. Anyone had experience with this or can give an explanation? It's very frustrating and could be quite dangerous. Thanks.
Hi Susan. Yes I've had the exact same problem.

Hi Susant, I had the same problem this morning with my brand new zs delivered two days ago. I called mg but the problem had gone after a while before the help came. I will keep an eye on it. JT

Hi Susant, I had the same problem this morning with my brand new zs delivered two days ago. I called mg but the problem had gone after a while before the help came. I will keep an eye on it. JT
The common problem with the ZS EV models, is when the “Boot Up” process is rushed !.
Push the foot brake and keep the pressure firmly applied.
Hi the start button and do not release the foot brake, or more importantly, do NOT touch the gear selector until you see the ready symbol and hear the audio bong !.
If you try to select D or R before you have received the ready symbol and bong, the car will react with a negative command from the gear selector.

The common problem with the ZS EV models, is when the “Boot Up” process is rushed !.
Push the foot brake and keep the pressure firmly applied.
Hi the start button and do not release the foot brake, or more importantly, do NOT touch the gear selector until you see the ready symbol and hear the audio bong !.
If you try to select D or R before you have received the ready symbol and bong, the car will react with a negative command from the gear selector.
I push and hold the start button in for 10 secs or so then release and restart as normal . seems to cure the problem for me if it happens.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom