Hubcaps - Pictures

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
My car was delivered with the hubcaps in the boot, i snapped a couple of pictures before i stuck them on the car.

Tried gently to take the one off again, but it seems to be on, very tightly so decided not to possibly break them, before i absolutely had to :)

Attachments

• kapsel1.jpg
    kapsel1.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 837
  • kapsel2.jpg
    kapsel2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
I think I prefer the look of the Alloy wheels without the caps. I was thinking about removing the hub caps and just getting some centre wheel covers with the MG logo from ebay or geek to cover the big hole in the middle of the wheel.
I know the caps are there for aerodynamics and save range but Im only going to be commuting in and out of work and to the shops in mine so not bothered about saving a few miles without them
just wonder has anybody else tried this?

I think the alloy wheels look cheap and ugly. Much prefer the wheel trims.

Says Slipstream with the coral pink/ white 2 tone ugh!

I think I prefer the look of the Alloy wheels without the caps. I was thinking about removing the hub caps and just getting some centre wheel covers with the MG logo from ebay or geek to cover the big hole in the middle of the wheel.
I know the caps are there for aerodynamics and save range but Im only going to be commuting in and out of work and to the shops in mine so not bothered about saving a few miles without them
These covers are the one part of the exterior that does look plasticky and budget to me - especially with the pattern, so I was thinking of asking the dealer to leave them off when they do the PDI. Only reason I'd keep them on is to save any potential kerbing, but to be honest even that's not a big worry - I know how to park 😆

The alloys underneath wouldn't be my chosen design, but I do think they look better than the alternative - an improved colour finish along with the centre cover you mentioned could make all the difference. This'll probably be the route I'll go first and see how I like it.

Would the wheel trims from B&M or Poundland fit?
I highly doubt it, most "universal" wheel trims are designed to fit on "standard" steel wheels with a wire ring pressure fitment, these look very proprietary in the way they fit.

I agree, i have never seen any hubcaps that had the fasteners like this one.

Definitively made to fit just these specific wheels.

But the problem of the "ugly" rims and hubcaps is easily solved, it's just to pop down to the local wheel shop and cross his palm with silver and hey presto, you have just the rims you want :)

Have these on Geek for €12 (€15 inc delivery - geek.wish.com):
1662635215192.png

Just need to get the car so i can measure the hole to make sure they fit

It would be helpful if someone could post a photo of the mag rims look like without the cheap plastic hubcaps , I really like our previous model mags

Not too bad, old mags much nicer .
These would look much better with MG plug in the middle

The wheels on the Gen2 model are pretty much a basic silver coloured alloy, but the wheels on the Gen1 model are a diamond cut alloys rim, which are much more expensive.
I think this was step one of the cost cutting measures on the Gen2 model.
Which latter seen the sky roof getting deleted from the higher spec model also.

That's a bit sad, we are very happy with gen 1, but would like the extra range that gen 2 has. I wonder whats the point of advertising gen 2 has mag alloy wheels and put cheap plastic hub caps over them, with the guise of an aerodynamic purpose.
Just use cheap steal wheels in the first place.

I'm going to keep the covers on, at least till they look tatty. I think alloys are a mixed blessing; they look cool but take a lot of keeping clean - brake dust is a sod!

The plastic covers are so much easier to clean imo, and, with the addition of some surf board wax to the clips (tip from an Aussie member), are not too difficult to remove.

Just wanted to update, that I removed my hubcaps a while ago and left them with just the alloy. I put an MG Centre cap into the middle of the wheel. I prefer how they look but its a personal preference.

One thing I did notice is that the hubcaps are on soo tight that they are actually marking the paint on the alloy wheel, around the edge of the hubcap and on each spoke outward. As the hubcap is held in at the gap in each spoke but also its sucked in at the middle of the wheel, I would imagine that over time the marking gets worse!

If you zoom in on the image below you'll see what I mean!
361611763_10229261611781794_5554280886484617900_n.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom