• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

HV Battery Shut Off

AmandaP

Novice Member
Reaction score
Yesterday got in the car, checked the mileage as I always do, 156 miles. Drove 5 miles to M&S and parked, when getting out, realised I had parked in a disabled bay so got back in tried turning on the car to move it and it WOULD NOT START....all lights radio etc came on but car would not move and this signal came up on the dashboard “HV BATTERY SHUT OFF”. I then googled the error and came across this group. Tried everything everyone had said, nothing worked. Called hubby and he came down and voila... just his presence made the car start.... 1 month ago, driving along, had about 125 miles in the battery and it suddenly came up with a low battery warning so I pulled into a parking bay and the car died. Had it on a flatbed to Guildford MG who did whatever diagnostics they could and said it had some faults which were addressed. I’m really worried I’m going to get stuck in a dangerous position on a highway as I drive 66 mile round trip into London every day. Has anyone had similar with batter suddenly draining and the HV shut off more than once? I’ve also had a black screen and car not starting at least 5 times since January. Does it sound like my car is just generally problematic? I also have not been able to sync my iPhone contacts to the car (not even my 16 & 17 year old teens been able to), in my opinion if teens can’t do it no-one can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computers do throw 'wobblers' from time to time. My first thought would be to switch it off, get out, lock it up. Unlock it again, get back in and go through the starting sequence very slowly....if that doesn't work I'd say it needs looking at.

Last edited:
I have the HV battery shut of light come on, but noticed it’s when I pushed the power on but didn’t hold the brake pedal down long enough when trying to start the car. When you start the car make sure the brake pedal is properly depressed and held down for a reasonable period at least let the car start it’s start up sequence.
The 12v battery warning may have been because you turned on everything, but didn’t start the car and therefore like a normal car with lights on and radio working you just drained the v
Battery.
As for the other issues I cannot comment..

I had it happen once, early in my ownership of the car, when I didn't know how to keep my foot on the brake pedal. When you first depress the brake before pressing the "start" button, you feel firm resistance under the pedal. But then as you press the start button, the electric power assisted brake system starts up and suddenly the pedal resistance lessens and my foot depresses further down on the pedal. I'm ready for this now and continue to press my foot as the pedal moves down - if I don't do this, occasionally the car can think the brake pedal is not properly depressed as it's powering up, and comes to the "on" state instead of "ready" which means the screens light up but the HV battery is disconnected.

Normally due to the brake not being pushed hard enough or held down for long enough (until "ready" message) or you try to put it in gear before "ready" message is displayed. Patience needed!

Mike and Doug are right, as I said in a previous post the car’s systems are a bit dim-witted. I have learnt to make each input slow and deliberate.

Yesterday got in the car, checked the mileage as I always do, 156 miles. Drove 5 miles to M&S and parked, when getting out, realised I had parked in a disabled bay so got back in tried turning on the car to move it and it WOULD NOT START....all lights radio etc came on but car would not move and this signal came up on the dashboard “HV BATTERY SHUT OFF”. I then googled the error and came across this group. Tried everything everyone had said, nothing worked. Called hubby and he came down and voila... just his presence made the car start.... 1 month ago, driving along, had about 125 miles in the battery and it suddenly came up with a low battery warning so I pulled into a parking bay and the car died. Had it on a flatbed to Guildford MG who did whatever diagnostics they could and said it had some faults which were addressed. I’m really worried I’m going to get stuck in a dangerous position on a highway as I drive 66 mile round trip into London every day. Has anyone had similar with batter suddenly draining and the HV shut off more than once? I’ve also had a black screen and car not starting at least 5 times since January. Does it sound like my car is just generally problematic? I also have not been able to sync my iPhone contacts to the car (not even my 16 & 17 year old teens been able to), in my opinion if teens can’t do it no-one can.
Hi There,
I have just joined so I could share this nugget.
My ZS EV reg late Dec 2019, suffered from this problem many times. I have even reported this fault to MG and the dealers asking for a new battery. The first week of lockdown saw the same problem, the car reporting HV Battery Disconnected.
I was so mad I rang the AA, arranged for them to attend my home. After I had hung up the phone I had a call back from the AA Technical Dept. The guy who called me suggested I try the following:-
1. Lock the car, then unlock USING the KEY FOB.
2 Press the brake pedal as usual, BUT apply half throttle (I use left foot on the brake right foot on the accelerator, can be dodgy)
3 Then press the start button, select drive, then get your feet back to normal asap.
This works everytime.
I can now carry on enjoying my best car ever!
Redpiratepete

I've had this a few times and always due to not pressing the brake hard enough, releasing the brake too early (keep it pressed until drive selected and you are ready to move off) or trying to select drive before the ready message. Since getting into the right habits it's not recurred.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom