I really like my Trophy

Alex1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I see all the comments on here about the Born and others et al. I really rate my MG4 Trophy, sure there are a couple of niggles some of which are minor and repairable some of which I will have to put up with (everything in life has a compromise) and bearing in mind that this is not a Rolls Royce and it is, i think, good value for money I for one am more than satisfied with it.

I am looking to buy one this weekend and I am happy to read that you rate your Trophy!

It's not a Rolls Royce, but it is over £30k of your money and as such, you should expect exactly what is specified and promised at the point of sale. That means functionality & quality.

The car drives superbly, handles the road well. As others have said its drive is like a BMW.

So if you trawl through this forum, there are things to look out for including a checklist, highlights are:

1. Warped rear under tray fitting
2. Noisy aircon compressor when set to cool
3. All software and firmware patches are applied to the car at the latest releases
4. Get the direct contact details for your dealers service department

Hope yours is all good, enjoy.

Last edited:
I am looking to buy one this weekend and I am happy to read that you rate your Trophy!
I bought one a month ago, 1k miles in and living the electric dream.

Depending on how you plan to buy with cash/finance New Car Discount might be worth a look, saved me £3k and comes with mats and type 2 cable that are optional extras at dealers.

Thank you, I’d spotted this on Hot Deals and have a quote from them.

It will be the earlier 2023 model but I love the red with black roof. I know the newer one for this year doesn’t have the black roof and has bigger wheels. (MG dealership told me this).

Never had PCP before and I’ve been on Martin Money Saving Expert resting when I hope is impartial advice.

Bigger deposit with New Car but overall price much lower. APR higher though monthly payments smaller.

Thank you, I’d spotted this on Hot Deals and have a quote from them.

It will be the earlier 2023 model but I love the red with black roof. I know the newer one for this year doesn’t have the black roof and has bigger wheels. (MG dealership told me this).

Never had PCP before and I’ve been on Martin Money Saving Expert resting when I hope is impartial advice.

Bigger deposit with New Car but overall price much lower. APR higher though monthly payments smaller.
Have you looked at Chorley Group they were running a 0% apr pcp deal that was lasting till the end of June. Around a 30% deposit, low monthly payments but you have to pay the balance after 2 years if you decide you want to keep the car.

It's not a Rolls Royce, but it is over £30k of your money and as such, you should expect exactly what is specified and promised at the point of sale. That means functionality & quality.

The car drives superbly, handles the road well. As others have said its drive is like a BMW.

So if you trawl through this forum, there are things to look out for including a checklist, highlights are:

1. Warped rear under tray fitting
2. Noisy aircon compressor when set to cool
3. All software and firmware patches are applied to the car at the latest releases
4. Get the direct contact details for your dealers service department

Hope yours is all good, enjoy.
None of these and other reported problems for me, except an immediate update of software patches would have resulted in my 12v battery not going flat after 7 days of non use.

Have you looked at Chorley Group they were running a 0% apr pcp deal that was lasting till the end of June. Around a 30% deposit, low monthly payments but you have to pay the balance after 2 years if you decide you want to keep the car.
I’ll take a look thank you

Have you looked at the Affinity deals, they are worth circa £3.5K off the price of the car. I got my Trophy for £29950, plus you get a Granny charger and a Type 2 cable thrown in.

I got mine from Chorley and felt the sales person was really good (not often you say that!). Also, they pointed out that as a local government officer or NHS I could have a discount and free colour upgrade. Saved me £1600 in all and if they'd kept schtum I wouldn't have known any different.

I got mine from Chorley and felt the sales person was really good (not often you say that!). Also, they pointed out that as a local government officer or NHS I could have a discount and free colour upgrade. Saved me £1600 in all and if they'd kept schtum I wouldn't have known any different.
That’s good, I found the sales people at Burnley all very friendly and ever so helpful. When I went over for a test drive I told the sales person that I wasn’t familiar with Burnley and had never driven an automatic or EV before. She was kind enough to come out with us.

Nearly ready to take the plunge! Trying to get the best deal, so far New-Car-Uk are best for the overall price but their APR is higher. We are doing this through PCP, no Affinity possible.
Any more tips? It’s a bit scary given the uncertain economy but hey ho!

Nearly ready to take the plunge! Trying to get the best deal, so far New-Car-Uk are best for the overall price but their APR is higher. We are doing this through PCP, no Affinity possible.
Any more tips? It’s a bit scary given the uncertain economy but hey ho!
You can take out a bank loan at a much lower APR and pay for car direct at lowest price you can get. Added benefit is that you dont have to flaff about with mileage limits, balloon payments, and all that smoking mirror guff. You also own the car after loan ends. Just check the maths between the two.

Thank you. We have not even considered this. My credit rating is near perfect I’m sure, I’ll just check the monthly payments are affordable. We need to think this through don’t we?! Thanks again

They make it all sound so attractive, don't they. Only a few hundred pounds a month! Even I , who had the money sitting in an investment bond, had to tell myself firmly that there was no possible way that attractive-looking deal could possibly be an improvement on simply paying for the car up front.

You can take out a bank loan at a much lower APR and pay for car direct at lowest price you can get. Added benefit is that you dont have to flaff about with mileage limits, balloon payments, and all that smoking mirror guff. You also own the car after loan ends. Just check the maths between the two.
I've always used this method. Gives me more bargaining power as a cash buyer and I own the car at the end.

I'm not clever enough to understand the PCP options, especially when it comes to changing to the next car at the end? Do you have to stump up another 30% deposit, or is there residual value in your non-owned part ex that covers this??

Also easier to sell the car privately for a better price as there is no finance showing on the car.

I've always used this method. Gives me more bargaining power as a cash buyer and I own the car at the end.

I'm not clever enough to understand the PCP options, especially when it comes to changing to the next car at the end? Do you have to stump up another 30% deposit, or is there residual value in your non-owned part ex that covers this??
This is my issue! I feel like I don’t fully understand it! He kept talking about changing the car in 2 years; but why?! Also he said less deposit you put in is better ?! Hand it back or buy it or refinance but who knows where we will be in 2 or 4 years (or weeks). Looking into a loan now thank you

I feel like a right numpty ofc, never even considered that finance free means easier to sell

Oh, I didn’t know about this as an option. Thank you. I spoke to a dealer who asked me about eligibility and this wasn’t mentioned.

We are thinking not to rush. To get a loan and buy a pre reg or used Trophy in the next month or so. We felt we were being pushed to get this done this month and clearly there’s more to consider when making such a big purchase.

The help on this forum has already been invaluable. Thank you all

MG Motors UK Affinity go here and register, then when asked for Affinity partner, select the MG car club or MG owners club ( both are about £50 a year membership)....well worth supporting one of the clubs to receive your discount on a new MG4. My local dealer was very backwards in coming forward with this Affinity scheme, so I travelled elsewhere to obtain a decent saving and get the car I wanted.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back