If your 12v battery is flat

BillyWhizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just watched a video by James may about his Tesla and the problems he had even getting into the car when the 12v battery went flat so I was wondering if this happened on a MG5 how to open the doors and the bonnet to get to the battery there is a key blade on the key fob anyone know how to use it ?

Just watched a video by James may about his Tesla and the problems he had even getting into the car when the 12v battery went flat so I was wondering if this happened on a MG5 how to open the doors and the bonnet to get to the battery there is a key blade on the key fob anyone know how to use it ?
The ZS EV has a key blade within the remote unit...

Hi billy in the handbook page 122 under key unlocking it tells you what to do but no pictures so if you look at the drivers door handle on the 5 underneath towards the back of it you will see a small slot you may have to pull the handle out a little bit to see the slot and you then put you key blade in the slot and gentle turn it 90 degrees until the end of the handle pops off and you will then see the key hole to put the blade into and open the door read the book if you can as once you open the door like this the alarm will go off in 15 seconds and it tell you to switch the car on to stop the alarm hope this helps

Edit tried to get you a photo but not that easy hopefully if you enlarge the pictures on you phone or whatever your using you will see the little slot
Les

Attachments

• D071C1E3-4F61-4112-97FD-F3363EB836D7.jpeg
    D071C1E3-4F61-4112-97FD-F3363EB836D7.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 5EC58A77-0B3B-4691-A111-003E74B959E0.jpeg
    5EC58A77-0B3B-4691-A111-003E74B959E0.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Have you accidentally pressed the silver button on the corner of the fob yet ?
The key springs out like a flick knife. ;)

Hi billy in the handbook page 122 under key unlocking it tells you what to do but no pictures so if you look at the drivers door handle on the 5 underneath towards the back of it you will see a small slot you may have to pull the handle out a little bit to see the slot and you then put you key blade in the slot and gentle turn it 90 degrees until the end of the handle pops off and you will then see the key hole to put the blade into and open the door read the book if you can as once you open the door like this the alarm will go off in 15 seconds and it tell you to switch the car on to stop the alarm hope this helps

Edit tried to get you a photo but not that easy hopefully if you enlarge the pictures on you phone or whatever your using you will see the little slot
Les
Thanks y that is exactly what I wanted to know 👍

Have you accidentally pressed the silver button on the corner of the fob yet ?
The key springs out like a flick knife. ;)
Happens frequently when the key is in my trouser pocket - eventually an unusual pain alerts me that it has happened...again. Think I might have to apply some gaffer tape.

Les
of course found to my cost that having info such as this so helpful but needed aa membership no on phone and not locked in car ! aa now works on apps an dneed that number!

Les
immensely helpful reading where the key slot is. and still had a problem finding it! but obvious when pointed out under that removable cover. thanks

In theory this shouldn't happen in the MG5 as it has a feature to charge the 12v battery if it gets low, even when the car is locked and as long as the HV battery has a good state of charge.

However in practice I'd like to see proof of it working 😂

In theory this shouldn't happen in the MG5 as it has a feature to charge the 12v battery if it gets low, even when the car is locked and as long as the HV battery has a good state of charge.

The e.Nero and the new ionic 5 has a similar facility and yet owners have still had flat 12 volt batteries to deal with.

had the MG5 one year now and had no problems with the 12v battery touch wood
I also fitted the same 12v battery monitor just for peach of mind but I can't see from the data where the battery saver does its thing but i have never left the car for a long period of time

Hi, as a new owner, this is my first question on here. What would make the 12v battery go flat?
Hi Emu7. If you look back my stories about “Dead car/ flat 12 volt battery 😰” you’ll see the palaver I had back in January.
Basically I must have left the car without switching off with my foot on the brake pedal. Now the car is idiot proof and bongs at you as a reminder, but if you’re an older sort with your mind elsewhere it seems easy to miss that warning. So when you next morning find the car won’t talk to you or even open the door - you start to panic.
I eventually got the AA out and he got it started. A subsequent visit to the dealer a couple of days later for a check over proved the car was none the worse and, in their praise, the dealer didn’t even charge this particular doddery old fool 🤣🤣
I’ve now armed myself with one of those emergency 12 volt battery chargers but never had to use it again thanks to a wonderfully alert warning system ( otherwise known as a wife) prodding me about it each time we leave the vehicle 👌

Hi Emu7. If you look back my stories about “Dead car/ flat 12 volt battery 😰” you’ll see the palaver I had back in January.
Basically I must have left the car without switching off with my foot on the brake pedal. Now the car is idiot proof and bongs at you as a reminder, but if you’re an older sort with your mind elsewhere it seems easy to miss that warning. So when you next morning find the car won’t talk to you or even open the door - you start to panic.
I eventually got the AA out and he got it started. A subsequent visit to the dealer a couple of days later for a check over proved the car was none the worse and, in their praise, the dealer didn’t even charge this particular doddery old fool 🤣🤣
I’ve now armed myself with one of those emergency 12 volt battery chargers but never had to use it again thanks to a wonderfully alert warning system ( otherwise known as a wife) prodding me about it each time we leave the vehicle 👌
Oh, well I could see myself doing that so it's good to be forewarned!

My 12 volt system went flat after we were away for 14 days. Had to call out MG assistance to jump start the 12 volt side.

My 12 volt system went flat after we were away for 14 days. Had to call out MG assistance to jump start the 12 volt side.
Is yours a long range?

I may be mistaken but believe this may only apply to the long range, hence I'm interested in your experience. Thanks 🙂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom