• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Miles to go after fill up...

stoneyev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Just filled up my MG HS Phev and noticed that "miles to go" figures a bit skewed... The Actual fuel guage showed 288 miles BUT second reading (centre of screen at bottom) shows 314 miles. Which one is correct ? Any ideas out there.....

You will find the one on the left will go up and down as you drive depending on the road you are using, ie at 30mph it will drop if you go on a 60 mph road you will find the miles will increase this because you are using fuel more efficiently.

My petrol gauge when full reads anything between 280 and 340!! Seems to be quite random. Will always stay at that level ( around 300 miles) for at least 70 miles. I always get at least 300 miles out of a tank without taking any charging into account. Pretty good for a big car.

Just filled up my MG HS Phev and noticed that "miles to go" figures a bit skewed... The Actual fuel guage showed 288 miles BUT second reading (centre of screen at bottom) shows 314 miles. Which one is correct ? Any ideas out there.....
Both are correct 288 miles on Petrol (in your case) plus the electric (up to 32 miles) gives the "other" total. You had 26miles electric plus 288 miles petrol making 314 miles total.

On this thread, it's interesting to note that the 'miles to go' is not very helpful when there are about 50-70 miles remaining as the gauge will suddenly plummet with a warning to fill up asap. During such time there is absolutely no indication of the actual distance remaining, only the warning. This is really disconcerting and frustrating!

On this thread, it's interesting to note that the 'miles to go' is not very helpful when there are about 50-70 miles remaining as the gauge will suddenly plummet with a warning to fill up asap. During such time there is absolutely no indication of the actual distance remaining, only the warning. This is really disconcerting and frustrating!
Yep. One day I intend to set out with a gallon of petrol in a can and see how far I can push it. That'll probably be the day I find out the petrol system needs bleeding if you do run out.

Ha, a braver man than I. My heart is in my hands each time I do approach the petrol pump to know whether or not the filler cap will release [it's pressurised tank] without causing the queue to get impatient.

I have a brand new mg hs 73 plate and i filled up my tank full cost me £73 but only gave me 293 miles but when i drive on the motorway the miles go up i dont understand the car when i filled up previously it gave me a reading of 431 miles its so confusing the car is brand new and only done 430 miles on th clock why is this why does the mileage go up when i drive on the motorway can anyone help advice me more

The range is only an estimate based on your recent driving style. For example, if you have been recently driving using the ICE in stop start traffic or at slower vehicle speeds, you'd be using lower gears more often, therefore higher engine revs per minute (rpm) so the car would estimate a lower range based on this type of driving. Now you do a bit of freeway driving, the car is now in top gear with a lower engine rpm. The car now thinks if we continue driving this way, then your range will increase because the engine speed is slower while in top gear so therefore using less petrol. Of course when you switch back to slower speeds again off freeway, the range will probably sharply decrease. My advice is to not take too much notice of the range, it's just a guess and usually a poor one. Just enjoy driving the car and fill up and charge up when necessary.

Ha, a braver man than I. My heart is in my hands each time I do approach the petrol pump to know whether or not the filler cap will release [it's pressurised tank] without causing the queue to get impatient.
HaHa, yes I know that feeling. First time it happened to me I ended up getting other drivers at the service station to see if they could get it off and they couldn't either so I didnt feel so bad :) BUT I took it out to the dealer and guess what, it came straight off ? They ordedred a new one and replaced it. I now carry a 8 inch shifting spanner in my glovebox just in case it happens again so I get better leverage on it. I havent taken it off since then and I've just passed 2000kms on that one fill so far and petrol gauge still has 2 bars on it. I stay in EV mode all the time around town :) I'm going to go down to1 bar then fillup to see how far I can get...

Under the steering wheel is knob to eliminate the vacuum of the tank. Press this and the filler cap will release without any force.

Yes, done that many times and waited until it said ok to open cap...deosnt always work. 8 inch shifter spanner giving extra leverage after doing that always works :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom