MG4 Infotainment Cycling Between Screens

Hello, this is my first post, and it’s a little rant about the screen flipping issue.

My MG4 trophy developed this fault on day two, so went straight back to dealer. They removed the head unit from another car and fitted it to ours, which failed 200 miles later. This is now back with the dealer waiting for a new head unit.

I don’t think they have done any particular fault finding, and I fully expect the third head unit to fail as well, unless the first two head units were of a particular batch that had a problem that the third unit won’t have.

I have left the car with the dealer as I don’t think I can operate the fog light with this particular problem as well as air con, radio, reversing camera etc. To me that is not fit for purpose (consumer rights act) and I’m keeping the option of rejecting the car if they can’t fix it in a reasonable time. To be fair, the dealer has said that they are 100% sure it will be fixed by MG, it’s just waiting for the parts.

So, having had a petrol Corsa, and electric Corsa, and now a MG4 SE has a courtesy car, I’m waiting for parts. Kind of regretting being an early adopter of a new car design. so far, over the first 30 days, the dealer has had the car more than me.

Do you think another head unit will solve the issue?

Do you think another head unit will solve the issue?
I don't. It seems like a software issue to me. Please keep us posted though as there are several others with the same issue intermittently.

I don't. It seems like a software issue to me. Please keep us posted though as there are several others with the same issue intermittently.
I hope it is as simple software, however my head unit has been to dealer upteen times for various attempts to update and even reload software to no avail. Personally I think its a problem with the DAB radio module built into unit.
Hence they (MG) said a new head unit was required and has taken 4 weeks to come from China. Gets fitted tomorrow so lets hope its a good one?? Time will tell.......

I hope it is as simple software, however my head unit has been to dealer upteen times for various attempts to update and even reload software to no avail. Personally I think its a problem with the DAB radio module built into unit.
Hence they (MG) said a new head unit was required and has taken 4 weeks to come from China. Gets fitted tomorrow so lets hope its a good one?? Time will tell.......
Will be great to find out how you get after a few hundred miles. I’ll be happier with a known solution.

The dealer gave no hint of fault finding (fitting the ‘broken’ head unit to another car, etc) to narrow down the fault to either the car or the head unit. Just “MG said do this”. “MG said do that”.

In the mean time my neighbours are very confused with my third courtesy car in 10 days

We have had a lot of problems with DAB and internet on our Trophy since we got the car 1 month ago. We now also have a screen the has shifted position and can't be used to select any controls as it flicks straight back to the home screen but shifted towards the top left corner. It's going in to take pictures of the oil leak tomorrow before they can even order the part but this is yet another frustrating issue.

So NOT good news. Drove car to dealer (70 mile round trip) only to find when they opened the box with new screen in, the screen was damaged with crack on corner as if it had been dropped before packing!!! Hence no new screen to fit. Wish they had checked it before I drove up there!!
So another 4 week wait to see if I get a new head unit????

Having spoke to Tech guy again the MG4 has been there most problematic vehicle EVER!!
This dealer is also a Nissan dealer and said the Leaf is a far better car.

Surely MG have to sort these problems out, I certainly wont recommend anyone to buy the MG4.
I wish I had'nt bothered now and will actively look for a new car in new year and get rid of this prototype ASAP!!!

Hi Halifax73. Are you using a courtesy car or still driving your car with a flipping screen? I have refused to drive my car as I don’t think I can switch the fog light on (I assume a legal requirement) as well as control the heating, reversing camera, radio etc.
As such I don’t accept my car as fit for purpose and hope to have a decent case for rejecting the car if they don’t sort it out. I think continuing to drive it might show that you think it’s fit for purpose.
I’ll post a link to the consumer rights act in a min, but my dealer fobbed me off (or I had a moment of weakness) at the 30 day point and I didn’t reject it then.
I now have an MG4 SE as a courtesy car until they get the bits to fix mine.
Cheers

Here are some useful links for your consumer rights. I went to my main dealer (Eden in Swindon) at 30 days and they talked me into submission, but if it’s not sorted by six months I’ll be much stronger. Happy reading.

Just started doing it on mine for the first time. Over the last month the Radio occasionally just totally freezes - perhaps this was a precursor to the screen issue.
Cars coming up to 3 months old and 2500 miles, My dealer has to be pushed hard to do anything, going in on Thursday for the oil leek issue, though the dealer has said they have to take a photo first before they can offer a new breather from MG.
As for the software, they said they have no knowledge of a software update(mines R29), but will put it on diagnostics and see what that says.
Not exactly confident of a good outcome.

The cars been out for three months now, a lot of people defending MG as its a new model, I think that defence is starting to wear a bit thin now with the amount of issues.

Hi Grayoo, hope that goes well for you. My dealer does just enough but little more, hoping to be pleasantly surprised soon. We somehow managed to agree that the car with the flipping screen fault shouldn‘t be driven as you can control so few functions (and critically the fog light). As a result I’m in a courtesy car while they get the part. I feel that will give them motivation to fix the problem so they can have their courtesy car back.

The first courtesy car was a Corsa, then an electric Corsa and then they gave me the MG4 SE which is much better, but I had to ask for each of those changes.

I wander if your dealer will give you a courtesy car too.

good luck

cheers

Hi Grayoo, hope that goes well for you. My dealer does just enough but little more, hoping to be pleasantly surprised soon. We somehow managed to agree that the car with the flipping screen fault shouldn‘t be driven as you can control so few functions (and critically the fog light). As a result I’m in a courtesy car while they get the part. I feel that will give them motivation to fix the problem so they can have their courtesy car back.

The first courtesy car was a Corsa, then an electric Corsa and then they gave me the MG4 SE which is much better, but I had to ask for each of those changes.

I wander if your dealer will give you a courtesy car too.

good luck

cheers
Please keep us updated. We're seeing this issue semi regularly but I'm not in a position to get it back to the dealer yet.

Just got back from MG Cardiff - waste of time.

Basically confirmed no oil leak. Under-tray bulge - just one of those things!

No software update for my car (Tango Trophy) which is still at version R29. I said that R30 is out and quite a few cars according to these forums have been upgraded, they said not available for my car after being on the diagnostics - they would not listen though, and basically dismissed this type of forum as giving misinformation and exaggerating issues - not a great attitude.
To get rid of the messed up cycling screen, I followed some advice from this forum, and selected a DAB radio station by keeping radio button pressed and then selecting any station and the screen reset, its been ok for the last two days.

MG don't seem to be contacting all dealers with the same update information - not happy.

One good thing, MG Cardiff factory reset the infotainment, seems to have got rid of the continuous fatigue warning nag message.

Did they do the locking in update

Call from dealer to say replacement (replacement) Info screen arrived in good condition this time.
So try again on Wednesday to have changed out. Like I say not convinced its the actual screen but MG China say to try that first?? We will see.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back