Infotainment screen

Power on the car and hold down the middle "volume" button for 10-20 seconds. If that doesn't do it you could try switching the car off and taking the negative connector from the battery for 10 minutes.

Or just call the dealer. It could be a dud or maybe a power lead wasn't properly connected.

Had this a few times now.....as above reset clears it but the weird thing is the screen whilst blank is still responsive to touch, and the radio and sat nav are still working.

I picked up the car on Tuesday.
Today the middle screen went blank. Any ideas
Ray, did the screen recover on it's own, or did the "Black Screen Of Death" linger until you stopped and rebooted the car into the ready condition ?.
Not sure if you are aware of this fact, but the ZS EV suffers from a very similar condition.
What I would say, is the incidents when this tends to happen, appears to get less and less frequent as time passes by, for some really odd reason.
In the first six months of ownership, sometimes the black screen would appear, radio still playing, then the coloured screen would return after a very short time.
Then on another occasion, it blacked out and the radio stopped playing music and the info unit completely rebooted back to the MG opening screen all by itself.
Once, while using the Sat Nav on a journey, the screen turned black, but the spoken directions could still be heard !.
A quick "Pit Stop" was required to power down the car and reboot to the "Ready" condition.
Then the Sat Nav screen returned back to normal once again.
A suspect a "Bug" in the system is at fault.

This happened to my HS PHEV, the whole info unit had to be removed and sent back to MG U.K. for repair. The car was off the road for 7 days. My car is only 6 months old and has been back 3 times for software problems.... not too happy.!

This happened to my HS PHEV, the whole info unit had to be removed and sent back to MG U.K. for repair. The car was off the road for 7 days. My car is only 6 months old and has been back 3 times for software problems.... not too happy.!
I beleave there is a new update for the infotainment screen that has just come out..

I had a similar problem the other day. Went shopping .....everything ok. Came out of shops and the radio came on very quiet and the infotainment screen looked like it was on candle power it was that dull. Then the whole lot went blank for about 5 minutes. The MG logo came back on but very slowly and then the radio followed at normal brightness and volume. Has anyone else had this.

I beleave there is a new update for the infotainment screen that has just come out..
Hi, when you say the update has just come out, what dates are you talking about? my car went in on the 24th May for the update, do you think the new update was available then? cheers.

Hi, when you say the update has just come out, what dates are you talking about? my car went in on the 24th May for the update, do you think the new update was available then? cheers.
Hi MrHoward on friday 15th june a service action came out for the infotainment software update you can see this on the monday podcast 21st about 9 to 10 min in they mention it.

Thanks for the link, very interesting although he did say the problem does not involve the HS phev which I find strange. :unsure::unsure:
prob be like a lot of updates it will follow soon ,they are dealing with the most troubled cars 1st its like alot of bugs some people see it a few times and other's dont have the problem

You are correct in that the info unit update, was only released last Friday the 18th of June 2021.
However, it is ONLY available for the long time suffers on the ZS EV.
But, there is a update on the way for the MG5 I believe.
I guess the HS will be third in line for the update.

Power on the car and hold down the middle "volume" button for 10-20 seconds. If that doesn't do it you could try switching the car off and taking the negative connector from the battery for 10 minutes.

Or just call the dealer. It could be a dud or maybe a power lead wasn't properly connected.
Hi all my MG5 did the very same thing yesterday while I was in SE London totally lost and the sat nav froze up solid I was stuck in heavy traffic on the north circular not a clue where I was going or which road to take next, I turned the nav system off and back on serval times nothing was happening then I remembered this post by EWD so pressed the off button again and kept it pressed for what must have been at least 20-30 seconds and then it reset but took about a minute to start working again thank god not a clue where we where.
In the passed four months that I have had the car the radio has froze once or twice where I could not change stations but has always come back the next time I restarted the car after it’s been stopped for a short while but sat nav that’s never been a problem till now in fact I have found it to be quite good when I have used it which I must add is not that much.
I was wondering could it be a overheating problem having been running it for a few hours yesterday it’s something I’ve not done before but it was fine again on the return journey after this reset strange.

I have had to reset (hard re-boot) twice when it would not connect to my phone for Android Auto.

I am hoping this has been addressed by the new version of the infotainment software.

Hi all my MG5 did the very same thing yesterday while I was in SE London totally lost and the sat nav froze up solid I was stuck in heavy traffic on the north circular not a clue where I was going or which road to take next, I turned the nav system off and back on serval times nothing was happening then I remembered this post by EWD so pressed the off button again and kept it pressed for what must have been at least 20-30 seconds and then it reset but took about a minute to start working again thank god not a clue where we where.
In the passed four months that I have had the car the radio has froze once or twice where I could not change stations but has always come back the next time I restarted the car after it’s been stopped for a short while but sat nav that’s never been a problem till now in fact I have found it to be quite good when I have used it which I must add is not that much.
I was wondering could it be a overheating problem having been running it for a few hours yesterday it’s something I’ve not done before but it was fine again on the return journey after this reset strange.
Very common problem on the ZS EV as you are aware Les,
I reported this condition to my dealer about 2 months after collecting the car in Jan 2020.
It has strange ways of displaying itself, sometimes it will turn the screen black for a few seconds then return, or the music on the radio will suddenly stop as well.
Or it will completely reboot on its own.
Once while using the Sat Nav the screen it suddenly turned black but the audio directions continued !.
When you are travelling in an unknown place and are relying on directions from the unit and it freezes, it is NOT fun at all !.
I brought up this subject a few weeks ago on the Monday night pod cast.
I called it the “Black Screen Of Death” because it renders the system completely useless IF it fails to reboot automatically.
Not great if you are lost and are running low on range trying to find a charger !.
The Pod Cast members did not regard this issue as a major problem and though my description was a bit “Over The Top”.
But powering down the car to reboot the system when travelling on the motorway is not really an option !.
Every time one of these incidents have appeared, the system will either reset itself or it will only completely reset after the car is totally rebooted.
Strangely enough, It has not crashed for a good few months now ?.
I don’t think it is a heat related thing Les, because I have seen it behave like this after a short or long journey.
It has a complete mind of its own !.
There is a head unit software update for the ZS EV under service bulletin MG 0020.
Only available for the ZS at the moment, but they are working on an update for the MG5 is my understanding.
Loosing the radio when travelling is no major inconvenience, but loosing the Sat Nav when you are lost and it falls completely on its arse, it not good at all !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom