infotainment system - limits on number of files?

deviousrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
hi,

sorry if its been asked before, i did a search but failed to find the right answer. i have seen a number of threads about formats of mp3s / videos etc that are supported, but my question is about the number of files...
i have a larger usb stick (its USB2) with a fair number of files and folders (think about 60GB) and thousands of folders / sub folders
the stick used to work fine in the previous car, but in the MG it reads the USB but only folders up to "C" are listed i.,e the first several hundred and then stops

any ideas why it doesnt list them all? i couldnt find any manuals or instructions for the infotainment, so apologies if i am missing something daft

it is a slow usb2 stick (ive used it for years) so i could move to a newer usb3 for read speeds if it would help, but i suspected it might be a file limit, an invalid character or something else stopping it scanning the file list?

if anyone is interested i have narrowed this down now... Seems to be there is a limit on the USB of 5000 MP3s. i have tried different USB sticks to rule that out and i just built a dummy library of 7000 mp3 files and only the first 5k were seen by the infotainment
doesnt seem to be folder related, seems to be number of audio files it finds thats causes the limit

no idea though why this would be a limit as it happily recognises the 128GB usb drive etc very odd

I have hit the same problem, which is annoying but you can get round it by splitting the library across two USB sticks.

My question is has this issue been addressed on the new model, is there anyone with the 2022 version that could check? Pretty please with jam on. I know there is a new infotainment system so it might have been fixed.

I have hit the same problem, which is annoying but you can get round it by splitting the library across two USB sticks.

My question is has this issue been addressed on the new model, is there anyone with the 2022 version that could check? Pretty please with jam on. I know there is a new infotainment system so it might have been fixed.
I have just been checking this on the new long range and it is annoyingly worse. On the old model it showed the first 5000 and then nothing. On the new one you plug in the USB stick is says its logging all the files get to the end and says SUCCESS and then says there are no tracks at all.

I have used another stick with fewer files and that works fine, haven;t worked out if it is the same 5000 track limit.

Also note that some of the reviews say the right hand USB socket (C type) is only for charging, this is only partially true - you can't use it to attach a phone for android auto but you can use it for a music library (this was true on the old ZS EV as well).

I will be playing around with this over the next few days and will update here if I narrow down the parameters of what works.

A belated update from someone who has just got an MG4 ER (Trophy) spec. Exactly the same problem. I can load so many files and then the dreaded “No tracks” message appears. i acknowledge the imperfect workarounds, but they are imperfect. I shall be suggesting to MG that they do something about this. Never had a problem on my previous car, a 2014 Seat.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom