• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Installing radio communications kit in an EV...

WigglePig

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Morning All,

Being one of those ham radio types I am preparing to get the drill out and install my VHF/UHF radio in my MG5 and I wondered if anyone else around here had installed similar kit (including PMR or CB) in their EV. If so, what issues did you encounter, if any?

TIA

Piggly

I seem to remember somebody talking about that a couple of months back. Have a search of this forum, I'm sure you'll find it though I'm not sure if his questions were answered.

I’ve had a look but I believe the poster was asking a broadly similar question. Perhaps I shall just get on and get it done but document my findings for the forum!

I haven't done so yet althought I have the bits necessary to do it. I shall be using a Panorama M8 mount since it is very discreet and I already have antennas for it (including the now-discontinued V/UHF dual band one at around 300mm length.)

To be honest, drilling and fitting the antenna isn't the concern for me although I completely understand that many people would be nervous about drilling a hole in their new car! My advice would be to measure several times and drill carefully, also watch out for the insulation/sound deadening that roof panels tnd to have spreayed on as this needs removing around the back of the hole to ensure a good groundplane connection.

More of a faff is the running of power and control cables. I'm planning on fitting the radio itself under the bonnet as it's a suitably dry location but getting the control and audio cables inside I know is going to be a bear.

Oh, and mounting the radio head and the speaker is likely to be a faff too.

Do take lots of pictures when you put it all together! I look forward to reading your write-up :). Personally I'll probably end up just using a mag-mount (for expediency -- it will be faster for me not to get killed by the wife for drilling a hole in the brand new car) but will still need to think about where to put the radio and speaker etc (perhaps it's worth wiring the radio into the AV system?).

Morning All,

Being one of those ham radio types I am preparing to get the drill out and install my VHF/UHF radio in my MG5 and I wondered if anyone else around here had installed similar kit (including PMR or CB) in their EV. If so, what issues did you encounter, if any?

TIA

Piggly
Hi there, did you ever do this? As I’m wanting to do the same thing to the same car

Hi there, did you ever do this? As I’m wanting to do the same thing to the same car
Morning,

I'm afraid I haven't got around to it yet as work has been rather busy. It is on my to-do list for later in the spring and I shall document it for posting here when I do.

Regards

Morning,

I'm afraid I haven't got around to it yet as work has been rather busy. It is on my to-do list for later in the spring and I shall document it for posting here when I do.

Regards
Well I’ve spent probably about 12 hours doing this and it works a treat! I’m afraid I didnt take pics but I could run through the install as a video if anyone would like.
Kenwood TM-D710
All wires (except power) are done with CAT6a F/FTP screened wire through the car.
73 de Kevin MØUJD

Well I’ve spent probably about 12 hours doing this and it works a treat! I’m afraid I didnt take pics but I could run through the install as a video if anyone would like.
Kenwood TM-D710
All wires (except power) are done with CAT6a F/FTP screened wire through the car.
73 de Kevin MØUJD
A video would be very useful, yes please.

Having destroyed the front end of the DAB radio in a previous car with 50 watts of 2 metres I opted for lower power in my MG4. I have a cheap and nasty hand held in the centre console with speaker mic laying in one of the cup holders. For aerial a dual band mag mount with cable around the top of the rear hatch. Not good but does access the local repeater just fine.

Kenwood TM-D710
73 de Kevin MØUJD
Yes please :)

I have yet to test how the bluetooth of the anytone 878 and the ID5100 get along with the MG4 System.
73 de M0IEI

Lovely piece of work there, many thanks for giving us the run-down on it!

I'm hoping to get my installation done before the end of May so I shall try to take some photos as I go along. Mine will likely be slightly different as I intend to fit a through-body mount in the rear of the roof (!) using a Panorama M8 base (I've had really good performance with these in the past) but I haven't decided if I am going to install the radio in the boot or under the bonnet yet...if I can find a cable route from the under-bonnet space up into the roof then that's probably the way I shall go.

Additionally, I feel I should warn you about those panel-edge mounts as the rubber pads tend to stick to and remove the lacquer from the paintwork...a decent coat of wax underneath should help to prevent that.

Right, I’m going to get mine installed in the next week or two.
My antenna mount will be fitted in the middle of the rear of the roof (can be replaced with a shark fin for later sale if necessary) and the radio main unit will likely be installed under the boot floor panel. A (fused!) power cable will run from the battery to the boot, likely in the cabin along underneath the rocker trim to the boot. The control head will be mounted on the ceiling with a bracket that mounts under the map light and the fitted microphone will be on the RHS bracket of the driver side sun visor.
Hopefully it will be a tidy job but photos will follow.

Has my video spurred you on?!
Look forward to seeing another take on it!! Good luck :)
Sort of, yes and no. It's really more that the HT and magmount isn't really doing that well in general so it would be nice to get it properly installed for the next longish trip I have at the beginning of June.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom