Interior light holder

jamesc83

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
E6549743-A1F7-4826-A565-15CAD6DEA821.jpeg

Does anyone know how to remove this unit without breaking it? One of the bulb holders isn’t clipped into place (or has come in clipped when I tried to change bulb)

Dealer will likely charge as it’s not a warranty issue.

View attachment 12103

Does anyone know how to remove this unit without breaking it? One of the bulb holders isn’t clipped into place (or has come in clipped when I tried to change bulb)

Dealer will likely charge as it’s not a warranty issue.
Also it doesn’t seem to be attach les the same way the ZS one apparently was but I’m not sure

Did you manage to replace the halogen bulbs with LED ones?

Did you manage to replace the halogen bulbs with LED ones?
I didn’t get that far as i can’t put a bulb back in currently without reseating the holder from behind. Hence my question.

It should be possible though as I did on my ZS

Dealer is going to take a look next week, hopefully for no cost in this case if they can do it quickly.

I didn’t get that far as i can’t put a bulb back in currently without reseating the holder from behind. Hence my question.

Dealer is going to take a look next week, hopefully for no cost in this case if they can do it quickly.
Hope it is a quick and no cost fix.

FYI pages 277 and 278 of the manual cover the type of bulbs and the changing of the interior reading lamp bulb.

Interestingly - to change the rear fog lamp bulb you have to remove the rear bottom deflector (page 282). This is the one just behind the rear undertray that is prone to bulging.

FYI pages 277 and 278 of the manual cover the type of bulbs and the changing of the interior reading lamp bulb.

Interestingly - to change the rear fog lamp bulb you have to remove the rear bottom deflector (page 282). This is the one just behind the rear undertray that is prone to bulging.
Thank you but I’m aware of that and followed the instructions. Unfortunately as I said in my post one of the bulb holders is not clipped in properly and this can’t be resolved without the the whole unit coming out and pushing it into place from behind.

Something that I’m sure is possible but I don’t know for sure how to remove the unit. Hence the decision to pop into the dealer with it (they will have service manual)

Pretty sure the unit is actually the same or very similar to ZS

Seems like a good idea to replace the halogens with bright LEDs. This may compensate for the lack of rear dome lights.
Which LED bulbs did you get? Is there room in the housing to fit a LED W5W bulb which is 27mm long? Is it easy to pry the lens cover?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Seems like a good idea to replace the halogens with bright LEDs. This may compensate for the lack of rear dome lights.
Which LED bulbs did you get? Is there room in the housing to fit a LED W5W bulb which is 27mm long? Is it easy to pry the lens cover?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
I have these which I had in the ZS, which is the same type of fitting.
OSRAM LED Premium Retrofit... Amazon product ASIN B0088XET0S
Lens cover comes off fairly easy if you are careful. I used a metal spudger.

However I need to get my bulb holder reseated before I go ahead (if I still do).

Thanks for the prompt reply.
The Osrams are quite expensive.
Do you know if the glove box and rear licence plate bulbs are LEDs or halogens?

Thanks for the prompt reply.
The Osrams are quite expensive.
Do you know if the glove box and rear licence plate bulbs are LEDs or halogens?
Yes they are. I didn’t pay that much in December 2020!

Sorry I don’t know, can’t see them in the list in manual but it does say
“Other light sources not included in the list are LED , which cannot be replaced individually.”

Lens cover comes off fairly easy if you are careful. I used a metal spudger.

However I need to get my bulb holder reseated before I go ahead (if I still do).
Are the bulbs easy to remove and replace? Did you break the holder or was it already faulty? I don’t want to break mine when I replace the bulbs is the reason I ask so hoping to avoid any pitfall!

Are the bulbs easy to remove and replace? Did you break the holder or was it already faulty? I don’t want to break mine when I replace the bulbs is the reason I ask so hoping to avoid any pitfall!
I don’t believe it’s faulty. I just think it isn’t clipped in properly.

While I don’t know if I caused this, I don’t think I did.

They should be easy but I haven’t yet actually replaced a bulb, just removed one!

In the ZS which is very similar, it was easy enough.

In other words don’t blame me if you have similar issues!

I don’t believe it’s faulty. I just think it isn’t clipped in properly.

While I don’t know if I caused this, I don’t think I did.

They should be easy but I haven’t yet actually replaced a bulb, just removed one!

In the ZS which is very similar, it was easy enough.

In other words don’t blame me if you have similar issues!
I received some led bulbs today but fell at 1st hurdle. I can’t get the plastic panel out. I know you used a spudger but I can’t seem to find anywhere to get anything in. Any chance you could take a pic and show me from which point you levered it out?

I received some led bulbs today but fell at 1st hurdle. I can’t get the plastic panel out. I know you used a spudger but I can’t seem to find anywhere to get anything in. Any chance you could take a pic and show me from which point you levered it out?
It’s dark at the moment but I’ve edited my pic of it open to mark roughly where there are 4 holes in the frame for little clips/bit that stick out (can’t think of the right word).

Don’t know if this helps but I started next to one of those.
1475CE60-3381-4DD7-895B-99F827031CF1.jpeg

@jamesc83 that diagram from the manual may also help you to remove the entire unit.
There are 2 retainers which you could compress by inserting a credit card. Just a thought...

@jamesc83 that diagram from the manual may also help you to remove the entire unit.
There are 2 retainers which you could compress by inserting a credit card. Just a thought...
You have a point, and if my dealer hadn’t agreed to look at it I’d have another go. However I’m popping in on Wednesday.

That gives me confidence it should be quick for them to do. And they should have any tools needed. Although maybe they will use a credit card 😂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back