Is an MG5ev right for me.

Mg5van

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello MG community.
Soon to be a member of the club unless you convince me otherwise.
I currently cover around 25k+ between two vans a vauxhall combo & transit tipper. The truck only does the big stuff probably no more then 5k a year.
I need to lower my running costs as it's becoming rather expensive. I would buy an ev van but the range just isn't there yet and I can't justify the expense.
I cover between 75 & 125 miles a day carrying around 300kg plus one additional passenger and no chance of charging during the day. Leaving at 7am and home by 7pm no interest in stoping for a top up either.
My plan is to use a 5ev LR as a van the rear seat will have to go.

Mick

Hello MG community.
Soon to be a member of the club unless you convince me otherwise.
I currently cover around 25k+ between two vans a vauxhall combo & transit tipper. The truck only does the big stuff probably no more then 5k a year.
I need to lower my running costs as it's becoming rather expensive. I would buy an ev van but the range just isn't there yet and I can't justify the expense.
I cover between 75 & 125 miles a day carrying around 300kg plus one additional passenger and no chance of charging during the day. Leaving at 7am and home by 7pm no interest in stoping for a top up either.
My plan is to use a 5ev LR as a van the rear seat will have to go.

Mick
Cleevely Motors of Cheltenham have converted an MG5LR for van use. James Coates has a YT video covering the conversion and running of the vehicle.

Sounds ideal really. Maybe consider looking at the new ZS too as it has a bigger battery. I can't see 125 miles ever requiring a charge.

Watched that a while back. It sounds like the perfect solution for you.

Should have said seen that and he seems to get a decent range. I wonder how much a roof rack and steps will affect it.
My biggest concern really is getting enough in the back.
I test drove one over the weekend and loved it. It really suited my driving style as I can make brake pads last 100k now in an ICE
Do you think a car looks less professional then a van?

Last edited:
Sounds ideal really. Maybe consider looking at the new ZS too as it has a bigger battery. I can't see 125 miles ever requiring a charge.
I may have to run across the road with a tape measure as someone down my road has just bought one. Looks nice even in white

Should have said seen that and he seems to get a decent range. I wonder how much a roof rack and steps will affect it.

Do you think a car looks less professional then a van?
You should still get 150 miles all day long (even in winter) as long as they're not all motorway at 70.

You haven't said what your trade is but quite frankly it wouldn't bother me. I have known a few tradespeople in swanky vans that quite frankly were awful at their job. As long as you do s good job, your trade is more likely to come from word of mouth than what you're driving anyway.

Plus you can brag you're doing your bit for the environment 😉

You looked at the maxus edeliver 3 or 9 models?
SAIC, who make MG, also makes the maxus.
It looks like SAIC bought LDV to get into the van market, just like they did with MG for cars.

I'm a decorator/Carpenter by trade all my work is by word of mouth. I've been very lucky as I've always had work coming out of my ears and never advertised. Probably too cheap but it keeps me busy.
It's funny I wouldn't have touched an LDV but now it's Chinese it looks more appealing. The thing that worries me the most is a range of 150 miles is cutting it a bit fine for my liking. Because most of my journeys are around 85% motorway and there are times I travel further afield when collecting materials.

Choosing a vehicle for work has always been awkward. I think people confuse decorators and painters and there labelled the same so your expected to drive a wreck with paint running out the back doors.
It's the airless sprayer that takes up most room but I don't carry that ever day.

Sounds like you don't need to worry about the vehicle from an image point of view as you already have a good reputation with your customers.

Maybe a bit of a risk, but with prices the way they are you could probably buy a MG5 and run it for 6 months, if it doesn't work you could sell it on for only a small loss.

Only downside to a car of course is you can't offset as much against the business, in saying that I'm not up to date with being self employed these days so that may have changed.

I think the image of a nicely kitted out EV estate would go down well with clients. James Coates often gets a charge top up at a working site. You could offer £10 to well cover the cost when parked up all day.

Stupidly I'm not VAT registered can't be bothered with the extra paperwork. So it doesn't make much difference weather it's a van or car.
I don't think it makes much difference when it comes to EV,s anyway.

I think the image of a nicely kitted out EV estate would go down well with clients. James Coates often gets a charge top up at a working site. You could offer £10 to well cover the cost when parked up all day.
All my customers are very anti EV there mostly part of the range rover bragade.

Sounds like you don't need to worry about the vehicle from an image point of view as you already have a good reputation with your customers.

Maybe a bit of a risk, but with prices the way they are you could probably buy a MG5 and run it for 6 months, if it doesn't work you could sell it on for only a small loss.

Only downside to a car of course is you can't offset as much against the business, in saying that I'm not up to date with being self employed these days so that may have changed.
You get 100% first year capital allowance on an electric car. I’ve always just done the simple mileage scheme in the past, but this one might make sense.

The MG5 will be ideal for you. In the winter on colder days you will need to keep your speed down on longer trips to ensure you have a safe headroom, you soon learn. No idea on range will ladders on top!

You will be surprised out there just how many chargers exist, The RR brigade are also switching fast to EVs, just tell them you need to plug your 'equipment' in as they won't offer it for free as normal people would.

I'm not to concerned about carrying ladders as I have the truck but I currently carry steps on the roof all year round just in case. I could probably take them off as I don't use them that much. Nothing worse then not being able to finish a job miles from home because there not there. On top of that I probably carry around 150kg of just in case odds and sods.

I like a well organized van but what I find is the more room you have the more you carry.
I've managed to get it down from a high top transit to a crew cab combo. Even though I downsized I'm actually burning more diesel. Currently down to 37mpg.

I'm not to concerned about carrying ladders as I have the truck but I currently carry steps on the roof all year round just in case. I could probably take them off as I don't use them that much. Nothing worse then not being able to finish a job miles from home because there not there. On top of that I probably carry around 150kg of just in case odds and sods.

I like a well organized van but what I find is the more room you have the more you carry.
I've managed to get it down from a high top transit to a crew cab combo. Even though I downsized I'm actually burning more diesel. Currently down to 37mpg.
If James & CleevelyEV can average 250+ miles a day and often do 500-600 miles in a day, I'm sure you'll be fine

Have a look on -

There's often a lamp post charger on street in towns and the newer rapids are so fast that you'd barely have time to get a drink / have a pee en-route!

You will also like the ability to sit in the car having lunch with the heating on too.

Watch some you tube videos for 2 users

Cleevely EV James

Irish Taxi driver

They give a good gist on real usage for work.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom