• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Will the MG Marvel R come to the UK?

I can see what you mean. I work for myself and find it near impossible to farm work out to others for fear of it not meeting my standards too.

To get back on topic slightly, I visited an MG dealer for my first sit inside an MG5 last weekend (I'm not an owner yet). The sales chap was a damp squib. Didn't ask any of the right questions and wasn't in the slightest bit interested in matching my needs. I didn't even manage to set foot inside the dealership before he's trying to work out a part exchange. It frustrated me so much I gave up and left within 5 minutes. Other staff were grouped chatting away inside and it just felt more like Carphone Warehouse than a dealership. Or maybe it felt exactly like a dealership and this is what we've been conditioned to expect.

So that's my first experience of an MG dealership.
That's a real shame. I've just purchased from Budgens MG in Shrewsbury; the sales guy was enthusiastic and engaged and answered all our questions. Altogether a pleasant experience. I do know the garage already, as they are a multi-franchise and they've maintained my Citroen for the last five years, and always been courteous and efficient. Over the years a lot of my car ownership and view of different brands has been informed by the dealer relationship, principally

Arf

That's a real shame. I've just purchased from Budgens MG in Shrewsbury; the sales guy was enthusiastic and engaged and answered all our questions. Altogether a pleasant experience. I do know the garage already, as they are a multi-franchise and they've maintained my Citroen for the last five years, and always been courteous and efficient. Over the years a lot of my car ownership and view of different brands has been informed by the dealer relationship, principally

Arf
I tried another dealership yesterday - thankfully an all together more positive experience! Sales guy handed me the keys and left me to it, didn't bother us at all. Afterwards he answered all our questions and new everything about the car. Returning this Friday for a 3hr test drive.

Will require some negotiation when the time comes though, under Affinity scheme for the Exclusive he wanted £23,600 which is some way off other deals I've seen.

Interestingly he said there's a worldwide price increase for MG 1st July too.

I'd like to but they're a very long way away from me!
Not that far from Barnsley to Burnley... I delivered an MG5 to Ely in Cambridgeshire a couple of months back. And of course @Mike bought his last couple of cars from me when he was living in Croydon.

The Marvel is here with all the features one would have hope for in the ZS EV. Range 250 miles. But it is not coming to the UK. Why?....some may say it would come to UK eventually.

Well I hope the Marvel makes it here but worried that Brexit and Boris may get in the way.
What do you think will the Marvel grace our streets soon?
Apparently the formal MG position is no plans for Marvel in the UK.
Full spec for three Marvel R models is now available to configure and pre-order on MG Europe website. Stunning!
It has everything you could possibly wish for. Once it is actually on the streets in Europe, and if there is no further news of a UK launch, I will be severely tempted to buy a lhd and bring it home

Full spec for three Marvel R models is now available to configure and pre-order on MG Europe website. Stunning!
It has everything you could possibly wish for. Once it is actually on the streets in Europe, and if there is no further news of a UK launch, I will be severely tempted to buy a lhd and bring it home

The flaw with that plan is getting it road legal in the UK. Because there is no RHD version, you won't be able to get RHD headlamps with the correct beam pattern. As a result of this, there is no way to get the car through an IVA. :(

There are plenty of people on these forums with “illegal” changed headlamps - if it comes to it there’s sure to be a work round ;)
That's bulb type, beam pattern is fixed on the ZS/5 by a mechanism/shield within the headlamp unit. No idea on the headlamp type in the Marvel, maybe it could be altered, but you won't know until you've bought one, so could be an expensive experiment lol!!

Then there is insurance... Won't be on UK databases, so a one off special at specially high rates!

And... Warranty, doubt it will be supported at all here, and... servicing, probably no diagnostics for it at UK dealers, and... no service action bulletins for UK dealers, any software issues won't get resolved!

Sorry to be such a killjoy, we'll most likely get the car here eventually anyway, can't see how we won't if MG are planning to stay here.

Last edited:
Deal with them in a professional manner. Be assertive. Don't take no for an answer. If all else fails then tell them you will contact MG UK for guidance.
Yes, and good to name and shame them, they dont deserve the franchise , if they are slack.

We bought our MG ZS EV from Lodge Hill Garage in Abingdon, Oxfordshire in Jan 2020 and whilst they are like a small family garage, I have no complaints whatsoever.

I found both Mercedes and Landrover attentiveness dropped off over recent years and MANY years ago when my new Ford Granada went back for a (significant) rear axle whine, the dealer said they didn’t know which whine I meant!!!

So far, no such problems with MG. Perhaps the smaller dealers still care

Arf
I think you make a good point when you mention the multi-franchise dealership. I think there is a danger buying from pop-up MG only dealerships. A multi-francise dealership is more likely to have a bigger workshop with mechanics who can work on a greater range of vehicles. I have had no problems with my new vehicle and am very pleased with the purchase but I will have to get it serviced by a Nissan dealer.

MG Europe and MG Motors UK are two separate companies, with two different strategies, personally I like how the nrw EU arm has marketed the brand so far, and it seems to be working for them .
The UK arm seems to be holding back ATM. But presume the MG3 EV supermini and the MG EV Coupe are still in their future launch plans .

MG Europe and MG Motors UK are two separate companies, with two different strategies, personally I like how the nrw EU arm has marketed the brand so far, and it seems to be working for them .
The UK arm seems to be holding back ATM. But presume the MG3 EV supermini and the MG EV Coupe are still in their future launch plans .
I'm hoping the MG3 EV will come this year

it is just a business, no a political issue
Sorry but Xi has made it a political issue in his maniacal stand to preserve the CCP. The CCP has insidiously inserted itself into many of the major industrual and business processes of the Western economies that we will now find it very difficult to extract ourselves. That's why China is being so bolshy at the moment because it knows we're powerless to resist. Give it 50 years we'll be OK....comrade!

Sorry but Xi has made it a political issue in his maniacal stand to preserve the CCP. The CCP has insidiously inserted itself into many of the major industrual and business processes of the Western economies that we will now find it very difficult to extract ourselves. That's why China is being so bolshy at the moment because it knows we're powerless to resist. Give it 50 years we'll be OK....comrade!
Manufacturers depend on market research data for the business decision. That could explain why MG5 was introduced in UK before Europe. Similarly market research data would have lead to decision regarding MG Marvel R. I find MG fairly eager to introduce new models and sell more cars in UK.
MG has not denied plans to introduce Marvel R in UK. I would not be surprised if they are working on plans to mass produce RHD Marvel R.
My opinion is that MG product strategy in UK is spot on, they have introduced products at price points where there is no competition( budget small SUV and estate EVs).

I doubt if politics are driving these decisions.

As I said earlier it's simply MG Motors UK had an 'earlier' different plan.
Although I'm slightly envious of the 'R' . The UK side is just proceeding with its own plan which will I sure show itself on the next weeks months

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom