Is your airconditioning cold enough?

Mgzs ev

Established Member
Reaction score
Today it was 15 degrees the sun burn on the leather interrior en i putt the ac on it was cold but not icecold .
Car was in e mode ,later i tried normal mode . Cold but not icecold .
i hope hè is cold enough in the summer with 30 degrees.

how is your airconditioning?

Mine generally seems to be okay in Normal mode, in ECO mode it’s not that great, but I do have to remember to adjust the air flow vents, which I sometimes forget...

I'm with you on the "not cold enough"
I've had 60 cars and some cars' air con systems are amazingly cold, the MG's is one of the warmer systems.
Better than no air con though 🤷🏼‍♂️

On normal ICE cars the power used by the aircon is disregarded in the design and thus these can be designed to work in all exterior temperatures. In EV's however, every watt used by accessories such as aircon are kept to an absolute minimum.

Considering those preconditions, I think the aircon system is 'adequate'.

Mine's ok for me as anything below 18 or 19 deg C feels uncomfortable.
I know ECO mode dumbs it down a bit but it seems like it's not working at all in ECO, it feels more like it's just blowing ambient temperature air around.

I'm with you on the "not cold enough"
I've had 60 cars and some cars' air con systems are amazingly cold, the MG's is one of the warmer systems.
Better than no air con though 🤷🏼‍♂️
I would agree with that statement.
On previous cars I have owned, if you set the A/C to super cold 🥶 when the air flow is directed at the front screen, you can see a small band of condensation / ice forming across the bottom of the wind screen.
The MG does not get THAT cold.
Like others have said, it’s works well on the min setting, but not as cold as some systems I have witnessed.
The Americans have fantastic A/C units in the majority of cars that I have driven over there.
Tinting the windows on the ZS EV - WILL improve the situation, as the factory glass offers no protection from the sun ☀️ at all.
If you use the “Recirculation” button, it will help cool down the car more quickly, but it may start to mist the glass after a while.
If you have the sun roof, don’t have it tilted or the side windows cracked open when you have the HVAC running.
I do like to have the sun roof tilted when the weather permits.
It helps change the air in the cabin and preserves the range a little as a bonus.
The HVAC in the ZS EV is a basic A/C unit with NO climate control.
I don’t find that a big problem at all to be fare.
My previous VW Golf had climate control, but I don’t really see any difference to be totally honest.
If you want heat or cool air you just turn the dial, what’s hard about that ?.
Yes - You may have to adjust the settings a little as the weather condition are constantly changing in the U.K.
But these are only a first world problems really.
I do like having actual dials that you can turn to set both temp and fan speed.
All that “Faffing” about in menus on screens to alter the settings is distracting when you are driving and can therefore be unsafe.

@Lovemyev, if only it was as simple as just turning a dial, that would be great, but with the ZS it's turn the dial and wait for the display to appear to tell you what heat or fan speed you have selected then look at the screen to see that it's gone off, then repeat the process until you happen to look down as the screen appears again. :rolleyes:

I dearly miss climate control 🥺
I have realised that my ice car made me lazy in that climate control was on permanently on aircon running continually, I now actively only use aircon when it is needed, I or my better half are the climate control button 😂😂

@Lovemyev, if only it was as simple as just turning a dial, that would be great, but with the ZS it's turn the dial and wait for the display to appear to tell you what heat or fan speed you have selected then look at the screen to see that it's gone off, then repeat the process until you happen to look down as the screen appears again. :rolleyes:
Yes your right of course, the system is "laggy" but there again, I am not as fast as I use to be in my old age !.
The system could be made to be faster, but not me I am afraid.
My "faster" days are a thing of the past.

Yes your right of course, the system is "laggy" but there again, I am not as fast as I use to be in my old age !.
The system could be made to be faster, but not me I am afraid.
My "faster" days are a thing of the past.
It's not so much the lag to appear that bothers me, more so the fact that it disappears off the screen after about 2 seconds. I'm the same regarding being not so fast, at 68 I prefer slow.

Simple solution.....live in Scotland ;)

LOL 😆 I must say AC is the least used function on any car I've ever had, I had a Kia niro before this ZS ev & I never used that once in the three years we had it o_O I've not even tried it on this ZS ev yet to see if it works. :eek:

LOL 😆 I must say AC is the least used function on any car I've ever had, I had a Kia niro before this ZS ev & I never used that once in the three years we had it o_O I've not even tried it on this ZS ev yet to see if it works. :eek:
Not so much so with these newer, electric, sealed compressors, but it used to be a case of, "use it or lose it" with the old belt driven compressors. If not used regularly the seals on the driven shaft used to dry out and leak refrigerant out.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom