iSmart connection problem

Bacarelle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Took delivery of MG4 Trophy last Wednesday.
Downloaded iSmart from App Store.
Could not register - getting error message that there was no network connection.
Today I received the following message from theDealer:
"MG are currently having a problem with the App and we are finding we’re not able to register any new cars to the App. We will monitor the situation and advise you when MG have resolved the problem".

Anybody else experiencing this problem ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a problem with MG's servers. (Although I've just now scanned my car in the app OK). 🤷‍♂️

See this thread

Picked up our new MG4 Trophy today, downloaded the iSmart app and registered as a user, eventually found the QR code but no matter what we did we couldn't get the app and the car to "bind". There must be some data getting across as we noticed our nickname is now on the in-car screen, but after many attempts the binding process gave up with constant time outs. I watched the YouTube videos but either the app isn't working (as said above) or the system software has changed. Will try again tomorrow.

Took delivery of MG4 troops last Wednesday.
Downloaded iSmart from App Store.
Could not register - getting error message that there was no network connection.
Today I received the following message from theDealer:
"MG are currently having a problem with the App and we are finding we’re not able to register any new cars to the App. We will monitor the situation and advise you when MG have resolved the problem".

Anybody else experiencing this problem ?
👋

Sounds like the same issue.

Please post a message in response to this thread to let me/us know if the issue is sorted for you so that I/We can then take it up with the MG Dealer.

Tarraa ! We got the iSmart app to work at last, not exactly sure what finally made it connect properly in the end but we did turn up the screen brightness to full (recommended) and scanned the small QR code (also recommended in the forums). Doesn't look like you can operate the app connected to the same car from 2 phones though. My phone (which we'd tried to bind it to originally) did pop up with a warning message saying another device (wifes phone) was accessing the app. Another box ticked.

Tarraa ! We got the iSmart app to work at last, not exactly sure what finally made it connect properly in the end but we did turn up the screen brightness to full (recommended) and scanned the small QR code (also recommended in the forums). Doesn't look like you can operate the app connected to the same car from 2 phones though. My phone (which we'd tried to bind it to originally) did pop up with a warning message saying another device (wifes phone) was accessing the app. Another box ticked.
Yes I understand that you can each log in with the same account details but it’ll kick the other out

I have set it up on my Samsung phone and iPad. You can only be logged in on one device at a time. But that’s not a problem, all you need to do is log in again to switch between devices. Question - does any one know how many devices can be set up?

problem is, it’s not my car! The wife has Pixel (=Android) and try as I might, I cannot set it up on her phone.

any advice from this learned community?

it's an unknown quantity as we do not know if MG stores device Id's. I somehow doubt it as some people change their phones more often than their underwear so why limit device numbers? Got any other devices to try or uninstall app from ipad and try again. It could be the phone but🤔

Or can you force stop both devices ismart apps and then try the pixel...don't know how to do that on ios

Last edited:
OK. Will let you know if we make progress. Thank you.

Ismart runs in background. I already set both devices down. No joy. Also switched lighting from auto to manual. No joy. Also raised brightness to max but, you guessed, No joy.

See if this helps and let me know

Once your account is set up ensure you note the password. Getting account password reset is a real pain so take heed

Initial bind of account to car
All you are doing is using a phone with the app to link the car vin (via the QR code) with your account to initialize the account connection to the car.

One car, one account, one user id (email), one password only

The initial set up phone is not locked to the "bind" it is/was merely a tool to set it up.

You can only do the "bind"/link process once. Once done you will not be presented with a qr code again as the car is already linked to an account.

You can use multiple devices with the app loaded to communicate with the car using only the same account user ID (email address) and password you set up initially. This helps, for example, if you are a new phone every year type of person, if your phone is lost/stolen/dies on you, or having two or more drivers sharing the car

Only one active user can communicate with the car at any one time. Any new device logins will force out the current/active/previous login.

There is no method of checking any problems at the MG infrastructure end as of yet. You may experience communication problems occasionally without any clear reason, remembering you need to be in an area where the cars esim can get a good signal in the first place.

The cars communication can currently can go to sleep occasionally, you need to physically unlock the car etc.to reactivate it.

Last edited:
The Briggie,

Thank you so much for your patience and explanation. I am pleased to say we can now connect via either the Samsung, iPad, Pixel or second iPad!!!!

The key was logging out and entering my email on my wife’s phone. Counterintuitive, but it works.

One car, one account, one email, one password and 4 devices.

Last edited:
See if this helps and let me know

Once your account is set up ensure you note the password. Getting account password reset is a real pain so take heed

Initial bind of account to car
All you are doing is using a phone with the app to link the car vin (via the QR code) with your account to initialize the account connection to the car.

One car, one account, one password only

The initial set up phone is not locked to the "bind" it is/was merely a tool to set it up.

You can only do the "bind"/link process once. Once done you will not be presented with a qr code again as the car is already linked to an account.

You can use multiple devices to communicate with the car using the same account user ID and password via the app. This helps, for example, if you are a new phone every year type of person, if your phone is lost/stolen/dies on you, or having two or more drivers sharing the car

Only one active user can communicate with the car at any one time. Any new device logins will force out the current/active/previous login.

There is no method of checking any problems at the MG infrastructure end as of yet. You may experience communication problems occasionally without any clear reason, remembering you need to be in an area where the cars esim can get a good signal in the first place.

The cars communication can currently can go to sleep occasionally, you need to physically unlock the car etc.to reactivate it.
Hi can anyone help please, since having tyre valve replaced, still getting reports on phone to check problem, every time car starts up is there a way to stop the reports coming please

Is it tpms alerts? If so over inflate the tyres a bit to see if that cures it. They can be a bit sensitive at the recommended pressure

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel