25/01/21: Just had latest BMS software. Observations...

Have you guys noticed the audio volume being cut due to the car saying it was getting low of battery. My wife said it happened and was very unhappy about it!
I really can't see the volume making such a difference that the car thinks it's an essential thing to do!

Have you guys noticed the audio volume being cut due to the car saying it was getting low of battery. My wife said it happened and was very unhappy about it!
I really can't see the volume making such a difference that the car thinks it's an essential thing to do!
No.

Never experienced that, the radio uses so little power.

It’s been a bit warmer today...

Not in the hilly district near Melton Mowbray....that we visit regularly, we cut our visit short due the howling wind laced with very cold rain. The dog had her coat on but was soon trying to get back in the car....along with rest of us!

Brilliant feedback @WalkingBootWeather .
Nobody appears to have passed the 448 - 450 volt mark post latest BMS update.
It now comes to light, that MG has decided to "Peg" the max voltage at this figure now.
I have only done about six charge / balance processes and yes I agree, the balancing is taking more time than I am comfortable with.
I find the Regen is available earlier now, but as the battery level drops, it does not appear to increase in strength as much as it use too somehow.
More "Linear" ???????.
Hard to describe, but it is different from the original set up that's for sure.
We are unable to make any trips, unless we are going to the super market !.
Therefore trying to make any range comparison between "Pre & Post" updates is impossible.
On the good old original factory software, the orange warning message of low range would activate between 35 - 40 miles of remaining range on the GOM.
Is your still displaying a similar situation ?.
On longer trips ( remember them ) in the better weather, I found the GOM to be pretty accurate.
One mile of range consumed about 1 mile from the GOM.
I have absolutely NO idea how this latest update has affected this situation of course.
Never been a big supporter of charging my car all the way to the Max - unless I have a long journey to make and then use the car on the same day.
Now I find myself charging when not required, in attempt to balance the pack as recommended.
At first chasing the unicorn figure of 455 volts that has now been amended back to 450 volts.
I really am not convinced that my HV battery was badly affected by a massive loss in range, because it never had the "Buggy" software updates done.
So, why am I chasing that unicorn in my dreams ?.
Bugger that !.
I consider I have really tried to look after my HV pack over the last 12 months, now I find myself going against my better judgement and banging in charge at every opportunity under mixed messages from the manufacture.
One week the pack voltage should be 455 volts - next week it's 450 volts.
Left hand - Right hand comes to mind !.
Surely this new 450v thing is protecting the battery for you, not fully charging to 455v as before ?
So you can "fill yer boots" as they say, with charge.

@Mark Holmes and @Jeps
Just to confirm, you've both run your cars low and had power warning etc, yet still not had the radio volume thing?
(Will actively get wife to test it again tomorrow)

My first job including charging the 2 volt lead acid cells used to power the heaters on old valve wireless receivers. I have wrecked loads of model Lipo batteries by over stressing them for model use, spent 58 years in electrical repairs and I am getting lost following the BMS updates. Thanks for excellent videos and info.
I cant charge with the door unlocked, I get 455v after 3 hours of equalisation at 2.7 kw, Are the updates a cure for working properly? I get poor regen with a cold battery same as Tesla, 85% power at 20% Battery.

I have seen balance time is getting shorter, but mine takes less than 10 minutes to balance (MG badge light goes out completely) after car shows 100% SOC, using the 7 KW wall charger or granny charger.

Today I got 449v after full charge and balance, before I was getting 450v. I am wondering if it’s something wrong with my ZS EV.

Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• 2E9C2A2B-8C51-4BB1-9D55-254CE4A0554B.jpeg
    2E9C2A2B-8C51-4BB1-9D55-254CE4A0554B.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 138
I have seen balance time is getting shorter, but mine takes less than 10 minutes to balance (MG badge light goes out completely) after car shows 100% SOC, using the 7 KW wall charger or granny charger.

Today I got 449v after full charge and balance, before I was getting 450v. I am wondering if it’s something wrong with my ZS EV.

Thanks for your comments.
I think you are fine. I'm now on 449v after repeated balance charges. It was confirmed on the MGEV podcast last night that 449v is what to expect now. Last week they thought 449/450.

I have had my car for 12 months now.. Had the BMS update in Novemebr whih reduced range by 40% and voltage is full charge of 437Volts..It is going back for the BMS update fix on Wednesday...Will let you know howI get on
Had a lot of problems after the BMS update in early December - the range dropped about 100 km - the real range after the update remained about 140 km only. Couldn't trust the numbers of remaining km at all. One has to divide it by 2 to get the realistic range after the update. The other day it showed a "Low Charge" warning at 96 km... Every day - multiple warnings "Slow Charge the Vehicle" although I have slow charged the vehicle almost every night.
The car was at the dealership for 21 days, and they did the daily charge/empty cycles - only after 21 days the car was back to normal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom