25/01/21: Just had latest BMS software. Observations...

The main interest i have in the newest bms update is range and shorter time to equalise

Never bothered. i dont have a cheap rate overnight and a chargemaster which i have heard called a dumb charger rather than a smart one .i plug in whenever i need to .i know you are dying to find out about timed charging .sorry i can't help but good luck sorting it out mate

I do exactly the same as you.

I had the "Comfort 2" update applied on the 19th October ( before the Buggy BMS update on the 23rd Oct ) but my car would stop A/C charging if I unlocked the doors.
I would however let me open the boot without interrupting the charging cycle.
I have now had the latest BMS update while the car was in for service on the 19th of Jan 2021.
It did need ask for it, but they applied it anyway.
They applied all the latest updates when it was having the HV Fuse protection software done.

I had the "Comfort 2" update applied on the 19th October ( before the Buggy BMS update on the 23rd Oct ) but my car would stop A/C charging if I unlocked the doors.
I would however let me open the boot without interrupting the charging cycle.
I have now had the latest BMS update while the car was in for service on the 19th of Jan 2021.
It did need ask for it, but they applied it anyway.
They applied all the latest updates when it was having the HV Fuse protection software done.
Could you charged unlocked before and after this update?

Could you charged unlocked before and after this update?
I could not continue with an A/C charge if I unlocked the car either before or after the Comfort 2 update that was carried out on the 19th Oct 20.
From the 20th Jan 21 - I now have the HV fuse update and the the latest BMS update released on the 15th Jan 2021 applied to the car.
I don't know if the car will NOW charge with the doors unlocked or carry out a delayed charge because I have not recharged the car since the update due to lock down restrictions in Wales.
It will accept a charge from the App on my phone, because I briefly plugged in the car to see if would accept a charge okay.
But I have not set a timed overnight charge yet since the update.
when I collected the car, it was displaying 162 miles of range on the GOM with 450 volts on the HV battery.
I have no idea how long the charge / balancing process had taken at the dealership because it was left on charge overnight in the workshop.
I am assuming it was charged to 100% ???.

With regard to system updates, can someone confirm where to read the revision number from on the head unit? It may be useful to compare who has what revision.
If we are speaking about the software version that control the car functions and not the infotainment unit.
Then owners do not have access to this information, only the dealer network.
To be totally honest, to have a complete profile to your running current software if you have a tech problem, the data package will need to be uploaded to MG Tech via the OBD connector and they can see what has and has not applied to your car !.

Not had the opportunity to try if my car will do this yet.
Never did it prior to the update though !.
I had the faulty update done in December, I asked for it because I wanted the possibility to charge when unlocked, it annoyed me that I originally not could enter the car whitout interrupting the charge.
Last Monday I got s call from my MG dealer here in Denmark because they wanted the car to be updated to the newer version. Now I will start to look how the voltage will progress over time, I got 446v after first full charge.

Looking forward to how it went for you MAS, mine is going in on the 26th Feb for its 1st Service, I will publish the first service cost.
I dropped the vehicle at at 11.30 am and got call at 4.30pm to pick it up. Dave at service centre said you will see the difference. I will see how it goes and will share. I am also thinking of taking up the service pack offer, let see how much they will charge for your service.

Hi MAS - Was you seeing 448 Volts after a full charge before or after the latest update that was released on15th January 2021.
I had the latest BMS update applied on the 20th Jan 2021 and I am seeing 450 volts after a full charge.
I don't know what voltage I was getting before the update.
The magic 445 Volts target is likely to take a few A/C charges / balancing before it can be reached apparently.
448 V before the update, I have got update installed today and has not charged the car . 455V seems be the benchmark

With regard to system updates, can someone confirm where to read the revision number from on the head unit? It may be useful to compare who has what revision.
I don't think you can tell, you may want to ask the service department at your dealer, I asked and he said it's the latest.

I could charge on AC whilst unlocked before the update, however I have not charged the car today, because I had full battery. I will do it tomorrow and confirm.
One of the previous "Buggy" BMS updates would allow this facility, but I am not sure if the new updated BMS ( 15th Jan 21 ) will now permit this function.
I am in the same situation as MAS - new update has been installed, but I do not require a charge, so am unable to check if this is now possible ?.
It's a nice feature to have, but right now I have deeper concerns regarding range and length of balance time of the HV pack after charging to be honest.
The last two weeks have been a bit of a nightmare with my car.
It went in for it's first service and the wiring loom replaced in the drivers door, that was a MG recall and the HV Fuse battery protection update ( SA017 ).
As a result, he car end's up completely dead and stuck on a ramp in the workshop for 3 days !.
It required the intervention from the MG Tech team and the spare key delivered to get the car up and running again.
The car was then updated to the latest BMS ( released on 15th Jan 21 ) and now I have the car back in my care.
The car was NOT affected by the "Buggy" software, but it had the new BMS software applied regardless !.
So now after what should have been very routine work, I now have the worry if my car is okay.
There is a lot to be said for : - "Don't try and fix it, when it is not broken".
Or something close to that folks.

448 V before the update, I have got update installed today and has not charged the car . 455V seems be the benchmark
I had 450 volts AFTER the latest BMS update and 162 miles of range displayed on the GOM last week.
Not the magic 455 volts, but I have been told that it requires about 4 to 6 charges / balances before the pack settles down.
I have not been able to carry out a change / balance yet because the pack is still to full !.

So I had the first service done today. The garage also applied the latest BMS update along with the HV fuse protection update.

My car hasn't had any previous BMS updates after the comfort 2 earlier this year, so this may, or may not, be relevant.

Anyway, unlike the previous BMS updates, reported by others on here, the car only commences AC charging once locked, and stops when you unlock. It won't slow charge unlocked! The only other thing I've noticed is if you do unlock the car whilst charging, it takes a few seconds longer to turn off the charging, before it was almost instant.

I'll be interested to see if others can still AC charge unlocked after the latest BMS update.

I'll report back on the final voltage after charging fully tomorrow, until now my car has shown 453v.
Mine is a very similar situation.
My car was collected 6th Jan2020 it only had the very first update that allowed delayed charge on off peak electric.
It then had the Comfort 2 update applied on the 19th Oct - just before the "Buggy" BMS update problem that started on the 24th Oct.
No other updates had been applied at this point, so I had no real concerns
Just to say, the car would not charge with the doors unlocked at no point prior to going in for service.
My car went in for a routine first service and wiring harness replacement in the drivers door ( MG recall on early cars ) and the HV fuse protection update, again at the request of MG.
Somewhere in this process, the car ended up completely dead and stuck on a ramp for 3 days !.
The car would not boot up and the alarm was sounding all of the time, it also reported the key was not present in the car, even though it was !.
The dealer had to upload the data pack to MG Tech who then asked for the spare key to be given to the dealer.
The car responded to the spare key and then both keys where then recoded.
Then they updated the car to the latest BMS software package, released only two days previous ( 15th Jan 2021).
I don't consider it needed it, but they applied it anyway.
Maybe under the instructions of MG Tech I guess ?.
When I collected the car, it had been charged overnight in the workshop.
So I have no idea how long the charge / balance had taken.
When I booted up the car for the first time, it was displaying 162 miles on the GOM and 450 volts in the HV pack.
Not the magic 455 volts that is expected, but I believe the car requires about 4 - 6 charge / balance charging cycles to balance all of the cells in the pack before it hits the magic number.
I have not been able to carry out another charge / balance at home yet, because the pack is still almost full and C19 restrictions prevent me from putting milage on the car.
Please report back on your own findings.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom