25/01/21: Just had latest BMS software. Observations...

Hi, I had BMS update installed today at East London Glyn Hopkin. I had car since 29th December and only booked in the car, as was only getting 448 V after full charge. I will provide an update in few days after doing fully charge and battery equalization.
Hi MAS I got my car from Glyn Hopkin East London on 23rd. Been waiting on a call back from workshop after sales passed on my email as not getting range or correct 455v. Did you phone or book your car online under Service MOT section on website? How long did they take to do BMS update? Were you able to wait inside?

Hi MAS I got my car from Glyn Hopkin East London on 23rd. Been waiting on a call back from workshop after sales passed on my email as not getting range or correct 455v. Did you phone or book your car online under Service MOT section on website? How long did they take to do BMS update? Were you able to wait inside?
I use Glyn Hopkins too and book via the website, no issue with my BMS but first service scheduled for 26th of Feb.

I also had the BMS update (19th Jan 21) yesterday and I can still charge when the car is unlocked, I got 450v and 163 miles after first full charge & balance. Before I was getting 457v and 163 miles. Today, I noticed that regen is adding more miles on GOM than before the update.

Last edited:
Does regen seem to more effective .does it seem to be stronger or slow you more than it has been doing

I also had the BMS update (19th Jan 21) yesterday and I can still charge when the car is unlocked, I got 450v and 163 miles after first full charge & balance. Before I was getting 457v and 163 miles. Today, I noticed that regen is adding more miles on GOM than before the update.
You received identical figures to what I did AFTER the first charge, after receiving the latest BMS update ( released 15.01.2021 ) on the 20th Jan 21.
The GOM was reported 162 miles of range and 450 volts on the HV pack when booting for the first time.
Strangely, thought your voltage on the HV pack is now less that it was before ( unless this is a typo ).
A voltage of 457 volts prior to the update, is higher than the magic 455 volts we are shooting for.
Are you sure it was not 437 ish volts prior to the update ?.

My first charge after the 15/01 bms update is also now showing 450v. Range and regeneration seems about the same as before. I suspect I don't have charging whilst unlocked as that was specific to the earlier BMS update, so if you got it with that, you keep it, but the latest revision doesn't seem to add it.

I can't comment on the new balancing time, I did notice it did it for at least 2 hours, but then I went to bed and all I know is it had stopped when I got up 7 hours later.

My first charge after the 15/01 bms update is also now showing 450v. Range and regeneration seems about the same as before. I suspect I don't have charging whilst unlocked as that was specific to the earlier BMS update, so if you got it with that, you keep it, but the latest revision doesn't seem to add it.

I can't comment on the new balancing time, I did notice it did it for at least 2 hours, but then I went to bed and all I know is it had stopped when I got up 7 hours later.
Thanks for the update !.
There is three of us who are now seeing 450 volts after the latest BMS update released 15.01.2021.
Yeah - I find it strange the "Charging on A/C while the car is unlocked".
I like yourself, believe it was likely to be included with one of the previous BMS updates.
Someone even suggested it was added to his car when he had the HV Fuse protection update !.
If you had it before, you would think that over writing the software could have removed the feature ?.
But if the previous update had coded a different module to allow this function, it may not have been included the latest BMS update.
So, if you had this feature before, then you may have retained it ?.
But if you never any of the "Buggy" BMS updates that included this feature, then you never had it before and therefore you not getting now.
My car had none of the "Buggy" BMS updates.
It did have the 'Comfort 2" update, but this was done before the cut off date of the 24th Oct 2020.
I am unable if the car is able to charge on A/C with the doors unlocked NOW - because I have not had the chance to check it.
But I will be somewhat surprised if it DOES to be honest.
I will keep you posted, please do like wise folks !.

You received identical figures to what I did AFTER the first charge, after receiving the latest BMS update ( released 15.01.2021 ) on the 20th Jan 21.
The GOM was reported 162 miles of range and 450 volts on the HV pack when booting for the first time.
Strangely, thought your voltage on the HV pack is now less that it was before ( unless this is a typo ).
A voltage of 457 volts prior to the update, is higher than the magic 455 volts we are shooting for.
Are you sure it was not 437 ish volts prior to the update ?.
I did full charge and balance the car before taking it to dealership and showed 457v and 163 miles. I had got this voltaje and range in 4 months of ownership. I know it is weird, but at least I'm getting the same 163 miles of range, that's what matters.

I am glad that you feeling happy, but I am a little puzzled why you though you had a problem with the car if it was returning these type of figures for 4 months of ownership, before it went in ?.
Was the car consuming the range too quickly, or did the dealer just apply the latest update while the car was in for other work ?.

What’s the BMS version which is feared to be faulty and reduce travel range ? Out of curiosity, I want to check what version am I carrying
The BMS which was installed between October 24th and sometime late December is the very faulty range killer BMS that needs to be fix urgently.

The BMS installed during August and October isnt the range killer but had long balancing. But I would suggest holding off updating from that version as the jury is out on the newest BMS ok.

The newest BMS, I think has no fault with range going down, but I have a small feeling that max voltage has been dropped, but its too early to tell or that the cars need longer to balanced.

What’s the BMS version which is feared to be faulty and reduce travel range ? Out of curiosity, I want to check what version am I carrying
Hi Rajesh,
I don’t know a way that you can check exactly what version of the BMS you have and how that version has been applied to your car. The updates appear to come in several packets and some elements of the installs also seem to have been incorrectly applied to cars - as well as MG admitting they’ve had a version containing bugs - so it’s become quite a tangle. Most owners are reacting to how their car performs. I would advise you to contact MG if you have any concerns 🙂

Hi Rajesh,
I don’t know a way that you can check exactly what version of the BMS you have and how that version has been applied to your car. The updates appear to come in several packets and some elements of the installs also seem to have been incorrectly applied to cars - as well as MG admitting they’ve had a version containing bugs - so it’s become quite a tangle. Most owners are reacting to how their car performs. I would advise you to contact MG if you have any concerns 🙂
So far so good, as I bought car in mid nov , I assume there is latest software ( BUT I cant recharge without locking). May be some software is country specific too? While driving other day, I did get a pop up that there is a latest software available, which I could download myself within the car and installed, not sure what update was that for

Yes - things are different in India with your cloud connection for the car. We wish we had the app and connection over here! No app and any update needs a dealer visit

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom