Just saying hi

goose

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Well, as a new member I thought I should say hello to everyone. So here goes - hello.
I have just taken delivery of a MG4 EV Trophy. It is my first EV and I love it so far. But, at my age, coming to terms with all this technology and moving to an automatic type style of driving again has been a bit of a challenge. Nevertheless the learning experience is enjoyable and the car is exceeding my expectations.

Some things that caught me out are worth mentioning, the first was the windscreen wipers. I never suspected for an instant that they are not supposed to be lifted off the windscreen without either opening the bonnet or putting them in 'park' (no mention in the manual or as part of the handover) so, one small scratch on the bonnet edge later and, after some research I am a little wiser (anyone know where to buy some stone chip paint?).

One other question that the wiser of you may know the answer to: Is it possible to alter the sensitivity to the auto lighting system? Every time I go under a road bridge it switches on the headlights and a fe yards later switches them off again. I know I could switch off the auto system, but other than the (over)sensitivity I really like it.

Love the all round cameras and the rear parking assist. On that point, when reversing out of a parking bay at our local retail park I experienced the emergency collision protection system. Some 'nutter' decided to practice his formula one start as I as reversing and, coming from behind some parked cars was determined to claim the road as his own without consideration for the place, conditions or traffic (me and some pedestrians). The system hit the brakes and saved the day, although I must say it gave me a shock - I thought I had hit a brick wall, even though I knew there was none around.

Anyway, enough from me for now and I hope you will forgive the rambling

Best Regards to you all.

You can find your answers on the MG4 forum , put in a search request and things will pop up or repeat the questions as a post. Do not forget to put in your exact model as this reduces confusion (most of us will be around your age) , most of the later versions (mark 2 upgrades ) would have the lighting situation fixed, have you got the 2022 model ? Welcome to the darkside!

The easy fix for the lighting problem is to prise off the cover from the light sensor. It all works more or less perfectly then. There are 3D printed replacement covers available (details in the "Hillbilly Hack" thread) to save leaving the sensor naked on the fascia. The best one in my opinion is the one with the completely open top, and the opening can be covered with a piece of clear plastic film to protect the sensor from dust accumulation.

You can find your answers on the MG4 forum , put in a search request and things will pop up or repeat the questions as a post. Do not forget to put in your exact model as this reduces confusion (most of us will be around your age) , most of the later versions (mark 2 upgrades ) would have the lighting situation fixed, have you got the 2022 model ? Welcome to the darkside!
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate you taking time out to get back to me. I have the Trophy model of the MG 4 and it is the 2023 model (well it has the rear windscreen wiper) and arrived in September. I have to say that in the short time I have looked at this forum it has proven to me that it is so worth it and that those on here are much, much more knowledgeable than the sales people at the dealers.

The easy fix for the lighting problem is to prise off the cover from the light sensor. It all works more or less perfectly then. There are 3D printed replacement covers available (details in the "Hillbilly Hack" thread) to save leaving the sensor naked on the fascia. The best one in my opinion is the one with the completely open top, and the opening can be covered with a piece of clear plastic film to protect the sensor from dust accumulation.
Thanks Rolfe I will give that a try and I am so amazed that the owners here are so far ahead of the dealers!

I have heard that there is a software update that fixes the light sensitivity, so I've kept my original sensor cover in case my car ever gets that applied. However I don't much care now if it never happens, the lights are fine. On a long drive to the south coast as dusk fell on the M40, my lights came on about the same time street lights were starting to come on, and after I'd noticed a few other cars with their lights on, and they stayed on.

I have noticed a few odd moments, once going under a bridge at dusk and a couple of times the lights came on briefly for no readily apparent reason. but nearly all the time it's fine. I suspect all cars with light sensors act up occasionally, but if you don't have the infotainment screen flipping modes on you it's not always obvious.

Thanks again for the update. I will contact the dealer and ask about any updates that they may need to apply. If not then I am well tempted to remove the cover as per your own experience and just wait for them to catch up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom