Just test drove the MG5 - very quick!

SiW80

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
It wheel spun in sport mode at over 30mph!

Either the tyres were bad or it’s just got lots of torque 😀

Only a quick test but felt nice to drive. Very rapid but some body roll on the twisty lane.

ACC was very good.

How do you precondition the car - timer or just switching on the car and standing around waiting for it to warm up? Or can I lock it can walk away but still preconditioning?

Is there blind spot detection?

Like the manual hvac controls but shame the usb cubby is so small and cannot fit a phone in it.

Wouldn't these have been good questions for the dealer if it was a test drive?

Only a quick test but felt nice to drive. Very rapid but some body roll on the twisty lane.

ACC was very good.

How do you precondition the car - timer or just switching on the car and standing around waiting for it to warm up? Or can I lock it can walk away but still preconditioning?

Like the manual hvac controls but shame the usb cubby is so small and cannot fit a phone in it.
Glad you liked it! Yes, lots of torque!

No timer built in to the current model, but you can put it into 'ready' mode and walk away (with the keys) without anyone being able to drive it off. Not sure if you can lock it to be honest. I think not, but I'll need to check.

No blind spot detection on the current model (there is on the ZS thought).

There are a couple of pocket things either side of the centre console you can drop a phone in, if that helps?

ACC was very good.

Yes wheel spin all over the place, ive just got new tyres and helped massively

I generally warm the car up by pressing the go button twice without foot on the brake... that way everything works like heaters but you can't drive off, i'm 99% sure you wont be able to lock the doors whilst its on unless obviously youre sat inside.

No blind spot

I always stand my phone into the small section shown in picture.... everyone always asks this and to me its the perfect spot and obvious.

Attachments

• Phone car.JPG
    Phone car.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 140
You can lock the doors when the car is on, but it's not straightforward - driver's window down then reach in and press the door lock button then raise the window and quickly move your arm; then you have to use the physical key to get back in, by removing the back part of the driver's door handle.

You can lock the doors when the car is on, but it's not straightforward - driver's window down then reach in and press the door lock button then raise the window and quickly move your arm; then you have to use the physical key to get back in, by removing the back part of the driver's door handle.
What faff on, it warms up quick enough so I would just get in and drive.

I agree with MarkLynn, the MG5 warms up pretty quickly - just ask my wife as it was one of the bugbears about the MB B180 that we traded in was that it was very slow to heat up. The car we had before, a Skoda Yeti was very fast as well.
And the MG5 is pretty nippy and surprises the boy racers who pull alongside at the lights!

Yes it warms far quicker than ICE as there is no water system to warm up 1st, de-icing the screen starts within a minute or two.

Almost as fast as the Ford (patented) heated screen but you don't get element failures like my 18 month old B-Max

ACC was very good.

No pre-conditioning but in my epxerience it clears really quickly, even when frozen, much quicker than other ICE car I've ever owned. As for phone there are 'pockets' either side on the centre console near the USB cubby that you should be able to fit your phone in. And yes it is 'grin-inducing' quick off the mark if you floor it, but it does eat your battery.

ACC - I hated it on test drive, having never used one before, but after just a couple of motorway journeys it's brilliant and makes long journey cruising a dream. Also I find the car very comfortable on long journeys. All in all a great car, especially with all the discounts.

Attachments

• console-pocket.jpg
    console-pocket.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom