MG5 KERS 3 & Brake Light Operation - Safety Recall?

I have just had my first service at 12000 miles- I have a MG5 long range registered in Jan 2022- and I am pretty sure I have no brake lights when in KERS 3. My dad has followed behind when I have taken my foot off the throttle when in KERS 3 at a variety of speeds between 25 and 50 and he said that there was no sign of any brake lights coming on. I asked my dealer to check this in the service and they said there was no problem. When I challenged them I was told that I was incorrect and there is no need for the brake lights to come on when in KERS 3! Not sure where to go from here- I guess another dealer maybe?

I have just had my first service at 12000 miles- I have a MG5 long range registered in Jan 2022- and I am pretty sure I have no brake lights when in KERS 3. My dad has followed behind when I have taken my foot off the throttle when in KERS 3 at a variety of speeds between 25 and 50 and he said that there was no sign of any brake lights coming on. I asked my dealer to check this in the service and they said there was no problem. When I challenged them I was told that I was incorrect and there is no need for the brake lights to come on when in KERS 3! Not sure where to go from here- I guess another dealer maybe?
Going back to when I first raised this issue with MG in 2021; I found out what level of negative G was required by law to activate the brake lights then downloaded a free accelerometer app to my phone and carried out a test in KERS 3. MG then confirmed the result and the update was available fairly rapidly. As Alb says refer them to the update bulletin, if I can remember where I got the regs from I'll post a link on here.

@lebelinconnu These may help.

eb1f5580-887c-4293-b794-304d6c4dcfdd-jpeg.5764

1645952517435-png.7171

There seems to be a lot of inconstancy with the application of these updates. I was aware of the recall when I picked up my 5LR January 22. I was assured at the time (by the service department) that there were no updates pending on the vehicle. At the 1st service last month they applied the KERS update, confirming my suspicion that mine did not have it previously. Is this an issue with the MG UK system or a reluctance of the dealer to do any updates unless pushed?

There seems to be a lot of inconstancy with the application of these updates. I was aware of the recall when I picked up my 5LR January 22. I was assured at the time (by the service department) that there were no updates pending on the vehicle. At the 1st service last month they applied the KERS update, confirming my suspicion that mine did not have it previously. Is this an issue with the MG UK system or a reluctance of the dealer to do any updates unless pushed?
It must be down to the dealer. I also picked up my car early January 22 and the update had been done.
It's evident that some dealers are more equal than others.

This is terrible that the dealer didn't ensure that a safety update had been applied to the vehicle and supplied you, in effect, an unsafe car. I would not patronise that dealer with any of my future business and lodge a formal complaint. if I understand the issue correctly wasn't it the case that in lifting off under KERS 3 the car would be braking without brake lights? if so you were driving a car with defective brake lights which under other circumstances would be an offence wouldn't it. Several years ago, my other was stopped by police for driving the family car with a defective brake light switch and as the car was registered in my father's name (he was also in the car at the time too), both were prosecuted and received points on their licenses. She for driving without brake lights and he for permitting her to drive a car with illegal defective lights

I have service pending and have been informed of two service recalls. The KERS 3 brake light issue and the 35kg loading on the roof bars, I believe the latter is simply to test and issue a notice to say it has the capacity or not!

The Kers3 update should have been done as soon as the letter went out.
The 35Kg load is an extra page stuck in the handbook :cool:
When did you get the car?
Check to see if any other updates are available.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom