MG5 KERS 3 & Brake Light Operation - Safety Recall?

Just had my car in for the KERS software update. (2nd time - software download issues the first time) All done, it took about an hour. Seems to work, but I can't really be sure till I drive it in the dark.

Edit. It does work....... I finally got round to driving in the dark a couple of days ago..

Last edited:
I was up with the lark ( well, a couple of raucous crows at least) this morning and sitting in the dealer’s car park watching them all arrive to start the day. So perhaps the laptop was needing a long lie today.
I’ll wait till I get a call and rebook for an afternoon and save disturbing the local wildlife again 🤣

You are way more relaxed than I would be..... It's is pretty poor customer service from MG
Yeah - not ideal but only cost me an hour and got to have a drive at lunchtime. Besides, I'm a lazy driver and rarely venture from N2 unless moving to E on a motorway or occasionally KERs 3 on hills or twisty roads

I’ve just had a call and booked for January 7th afternoon. Those crows will surely be awake and sobered up by then ?

Can’t help feeling the car isn’t slowing the same at lower speeds in KERR3 since the update for example, before if I was slowing down for traffic or lights and I felt KERR2 wasn’t aggressive enough at slowing (fro fairly low speeds) I’d flick it to KERR3 and notice a bit of a increase in braking, now in those kinds of conditions the change is barely noticeable? Any one else seeing this post update - the battery has been 75-40% since it was done so that wasn’t the cause, for me it kinda ruins the almost one pedal driving feel at low speeds

KERRS 3 seems the same as before at normal higher driving speeds

Funny you should say that.
I thought I felt subtle changes but I hadn't driven my car for 3 weeks and ambient temperature had dropped significantly.
It will interesting to hear whether others have the same observation.

Depends if you book it for the day or a waiting slot hopefully just an hour👍

Hammond's MG have quoted about 45 minutes for my update. Hope that's true, but software updates shouldn't take too long really. OTA updates would be great for the 5 but I think it requires extra hardware in the car which I not sure it has sadly 😟. But still I love my 5.
Received my letter last week and eventually booked in with Glyn Hopkin Chelmsford for 22/12/21. Service never answer phone so did this through their head office - where all unanswered calls get directed. They told me they needed the car all day as this was a time consuming procedure. Me thinks that they speak with forked tongue! After reading the experiences of many in this matter, the MG dealerships do not appear to cover themselves with glory. There are some exceptions but most seem to be well out of their depth on this matter. Did not ask for a loan car but if I did I suspect that I would have to pay for some insurance cover which makes the situation financially unappealing! Let us hope that they do not cancel at the last minute or encounter and IT issues.

Just had mine done (second time lucky), it was done within the hour (no washing of the car ☹️). Tested it after dark and it all seems to work. Doesn’t just activate at higher speeds but also when slowing from 20mph. Really happy to have my KERS 3 back!

Standard MG5 safety recall complete in 1hour all working as it should, dealer in Durham was spot on.

Received a recall letter from MG, booked my MG5 in with the dealership. Said I'd wait whilst they updated the software which they said would take about 30 minutes. Unfortunately the dealership were unable to connect and download the software from MG so the recall was aborted.

Received a recall letter from MG, booked my MG5 in with the dealership. Said I'd wait whilst they updated the software which they said would take about 30 minutes. Unfortunately the dealership were unable to connect and download the software from MG so the recall was aborted.
That seems to be happening too often with this recall. Not good customer service at all.

Had the same on a satnav update on my KIA, the file was not huge but took hours to download and eventually they gave up. So did I after that and used my TomTom instead.
The issue will be that they are connecting to some PC at MG UK that isn't set up as a web server and probably overloaded with download requests at the time.

Can they not pre-download the file or does it do it live from the vehicle? Surely grabbing it before the customers slot would make more sense for all involved

Can they not pre-download the file or does it do it live from the vehicle? Surely grabbing it before the customers slot would make more sense for all involved
I was thinking the same, but then thought maybe the download is vehicle specific and they need more info off the car before they can download it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom